Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The whole "4 hour" egg spawn mechanism...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The whole "4 hour" egg spawn mechanism...

Xenoterran
04.18.2012 , 10:11 AM | #1
As many are aware, the new Orokeet pet requires hatching an egg that is either a drop from a boss, or available as a lootable object. The timer between spawns for the egg is 4 hours. In all the MMO games I've played in the past (going all the way back to Asheron's Call), I've never thought this was a fair way to distribute an item that many would want. Yes, I get that this is suppose to be somewhat rare, but this method doesn't favor equality. What happens most of the time is a few individuals will clock the spawn and harvest it solely for the purpose of making credits.

I've tried several times to acquire an egg and waited long periods only to have another person log in on the spawn point a minute or two before it appears and get the egg before I get a chance to. In the times that I was there, it is always the same person looting the egg who can then be seen selling it on fleet for millions of credits. I'm not looking to make a profit. I just want one for myself. While I have plenty of credits, I refuse to pay for one on principal.

This method of "timed spawn = rare item" has always resulted in camping (by credit farmers) and frustration (by those who can't acquire the item) across every other MMO I've played. How is that fun?; ..or fair? I would like to believe that Bioware is smart enough to recognize failed game dynamics but then they employ this mechanism. At the very least, you should've made the egg/pet "bind on pickup." That would've at least have soured the milk for the farmers. The timed spawn still would be a pain, but at least you don't have to watch a credit farmer get the prize.

This may seem trivial to many and even silly to others, but in a game that is trying to bring in as many players as possible and hold on to the existing ones they already have, you'd think they wouldn't resort to a methodology that rewards camping and greed.

Yeah, yeah.. ..I know. Boohoo for me. If the game stops being fun, then don't play, right? But is that really what Bioware wants?
Xenoterran - Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun!

Raximillian
04.18.2012 , 10:15 AM | #2
Is it an exact 4 hour timer? That sucks... Should have a random factor (4.5hrs +/- 60m for example).

BenjaminminU
04.18.2012 , 10:16 AM | #3
People have to sleep sometime, honestly i'd wait until this egg thief goes to sleep, then you can get your egg
"Declaration: Assassination protocols active. Greetings, master" - HK-51

FooBard
04.18.2012 , 10:22 AM | #4
Chatting with a guy in the fleet last night, told me something like this...

"People normall leave their sound on... so I just sat there making as much annoying sounds as I could, casting spells, using skills...etc... got rid of 4 people that way."

Wow, how lame people are... I put the guy on ignore just for being a twirp.

Why don't you just make it some rediculous long quest to get it?

CAMPING A 4 HOUR SPAWN??????? LAZY LAZY LAZY LAZY PROGRAMMERS!!!!1

Skolops
04.18.2012 , 10:22 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Raximillian View Post
Is it an exact 4 hour timer? That sucks... Should have a random factor (4.5hrs +/- 60m for example).
Yeah, its terribly annoying. If you're on a PvP server and having trouble with the opposing faction killing or knocking you of f the nest when you try to wait, I will say I found the best place to do it to be the Imperial spot. At this point - at least on my server - the folks who want to farm it know when it respawns and only spend their time going there when it's close to coming. If you can get there before them, it has a nice little nook you can tuck yourself in that should prevent you from being knocked back off, and if you have a knock back, should let you instantly knock them off when they try to jump down. Be sure to always have the camera looking up (you can actually get an angle where you see the nest and what's coming from above simultaneously) so you can be prepared to hit your trigger faster. The Republic side seems far harder to defend.

Still annoying and no guarantee of victory, but definitely an edge.

Zannis
04.18.2012 , 10:23 AM | #6
I personally would farm the million creds via dailies, and simply buy the egg. It sounds easier to do than competing with the farmers on your server if the picture you've painted us is an accurate one.

If doing dailies for 3 to 4 days isn't worth acquiring the egg, then perhaps you don't want the egg nearly as badly as you think.

AncientAstronaut
04.18.2012 , 10:24 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by BenjaminminU View Post
People have to sleep sometime, honestly I'd wait until this egg thief goes to sleep, then you can get your egg
Hah, at 5 AM there were like 5 people waiting. Then at 9 AM 10 people and at 1 PM 11 or 12. Already seen, that someone tried to sell it at the fleet for Millions of credits.
Exact 4 hours respawn + boe just sucks.
That's just another ridiculous time sink at the moment.
Also the fact that so many people are there makes it annoying. You can't even click it sometimes because there are these huge mounts and people everywhere on the small nest.

Boaz
04.18.2012 , 10:27 AM | #8
Just make the thing bound to leagacy, no one should have to go do dailys for a few days to get the money to pay some clown who is spawn camping an item that should have been bound to begain with.

DbDBear
04.18.2012 , 10:34 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by AncientAstronaut View Post
Hah, at 5 AM there were like 5 people waiting. Then at 9 AM 10 people and at 1 PM 11 or 12. Already seen, that someone tried to sell it at the fleet for Millions of credits.
Exact 4 hours respawn + boe just sucks.
That's just another ridiculous time sink at the moment.
Also the fact that so many people are there makes it annoying. You can't even click it sometimes because there are these huge mounts and people everywhere on the small nest.
Finally! An ADVANTAGE to playing on a Low-Pop Server!!!!! Everyone on our server has picked up the egg ...... all 14 of us.

I knew there was a reason I rolled on The Deadweight

JeRune
04.18.2012 , 10:34 AM | #10
Seriously guys, anyone ever tried to get (or got) a Time Lost Proto Drake in WoW? Then you know why it's called Time Lost.. a four hour timer is laughable; not even worth mentioning as time sink. Get over it; there are two spots where the egg spawns, go there early in the morning. or late at night; no problem..

Besides, if someone steals the egg from you at the moment it spawns, then you know the respawn timer, right? What's stopping you from setting you alarm clock four hours later yourself?
E:80 A:73 K:33 S:13 "Filled out Friday's Fail Form yet?"

Spoiler