Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Should I Be Worried If They Ever Decide To Pull The Plug On TOR

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Should I Be Worried If They Ever Decide To Pull The Plug On TOR

superniceguy
04.18.2012 , 10:36 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by FooBard View Post
What is there to worry about?

Playing a video game is NOTHING more than a pass time....

You achieve absolutely NOTHING from playing them.

Reality check here.
Single player games there is nothing but the ironic thing is you can play them forever
I put 8.5 years into SWG, and it is all gone. Items that I have purchased, or acquired through playing, player cities and housing spent loads of time building up. Friendships made whilst playing all gone, as we all go different ways.

After playing a MMO for years and years, there is plenty to lose. There is nothing to lose by playing a game that does not require the internet to play.

With SWTOR I just plan on playing through my characters and the stories, and then quitting before it closes. I am not investing any more time into MMOs / games that require an internet connection to play.

Blistrich
04.18.2012 , 10:41 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by RavenGlenn View Post
They will pull the plug someday. Every MMO will.
I disagree.

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only Everquest.

And at least one Conan server will still be going.

Hell, Meridian 59 was released in 1995 and it's still operating. You can still play DAoC of all things if you want.

Simply put, no one spends this much money on an mmo to pull the plug any time soon.

And if you "marry" the game, you're doing it wrong. It's just a bit of fun.

Frankie || Gunslinger || Harbinger
Twelve systems and counting...
SWTOR RvR: A Game Changing Concept

Zannis
04.18.2012 , 10:49 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Blistrich View Post
I disagree.

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only Everquest.

And at least one Conan server will still be going.

Hell, Meridian 59 was released in 1995 and it's still operating. You can still play DAoC of all things if you want.

Simply put, no one spends this much money on an mmo to pull the plug any time soon.

And if you "marry" the game, you're doing it wrong. It's just a bit of fun.
Meridian 59 and DAoC aren't bound by an entity that has complete control over the IP.

They will have no problems making back their development costs, if they haven't done so already. If the relationship between LucasArts and Bio/EA sours for any reason, have no doubt that LA will pull the plug once the licensing agreements expire.

Blistrich
04.18.2012 , 10:52 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Zannis View Post
Meridian 59 and DAoC aren't bound by an entity that has complete control over the IP.

They will have no problems making back their development costs, if they haven't done so already. If the relationship between LucasArts and Bio/EA sours for any reason, have no doubt that LA will pull the plug once the licensing agreements expire.
Do you have any idea how much money was spent on this game?

Pulling the plug based on a sour relationship would not only be fiscally irresponsible and financially devastating, it would rock the reputation of both entities to the absolute ground.

Think about these things, you know, like a company would.

Gungan
04.18.2012 , 10:56 AM | #26

Pulling the plug based on a sour relationship would not only be fiscally irresponsible and financially devastating, it would rock the reputation of both entities to the absolute ground.

Think about these things, you know, like a company would.
LucasArts doesn't really have anything to lose except potential profits. It's not like they've made a good game in the last decade.

Blistrich
04.18.2012 , 10:58 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Feelinestars View Post
this game is most likely on its last legs.

Funny stuff. Vanilla. "Last legs".

You do know that Age of Conan is still operating with 3 servers, right?

So much baseless doomsday BS.

Again, do you have any idea what it cost to develop this game? Do you have any idea how many jobs and reputations are on the line? Are you even aware that this is vanilla?

Unwitting bandwagon fearjunkies - a special breed.

ConradLionhart
04.18.2012 , 11:02 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by JoanThom View Post
Well hey there guys pretty much anyone who ever wants to chill with me on the ebon hawk server will know that I am a super crazy fan boy of The Old Republic and thrilled we finally get to see how it went down in a galaxy far far away way back when. I'm not sure if someone or anyone made a thread like this yet and super duper please do not make this a hate or rage post because I want to try to be serious about it as I can. And Bioware I love you guys and god help me this game is so addictive XD.

Finally working on my first lvl 50 character and have 7 other ones at chapter 2 wanting to get them to lvl 50 some day however in the back of my mind I cant help but to wonder will they ever remove the game like Star Wars Galaxies. (Please dont get upset when I say that :O)

Thats why I was hoping for your guys opinion to say if maybe I should say what the heck dont worry about it so much and lvl all my guys to 50 one day or just keep one at 50.

The reason for this is theres still alot of un played games on steam and tons of achievements on some other games that have been meaning to get unlock and wouldint want to feel like if they ever do that there would be better times spent on steam

Anyways would love to hear from you guys and see how you all feel and thanks for the feed back! Long live TOR!
They won't pull the plug with people like you around who enjoy the game.
Level 50 Jedi Guardian

Expanded Companion System
http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...6&postcount=28

Zannis
04.18.2012 , 11:04 AM | #29
None of us do. We have estimates from $100m to half a billion. Let's assume $200m as a reasonable guess.

The two million copies alone@$60 a pop generated $120m, not even counting the extra revenue from the Digital Deluxe and Collector's editions. Assuming a conservative million subs@$15/month, we're looking at around another $150m or so in revenue for the first year.

So when I say LA will have no problems pulling the plug on this game when the licensing expires IF their relationship sours with EA/Bio, I stand by it. LucasArts has a history of extremely aggressive behavior when it comes to protecting its brand, and will have no problems taking a slight revenue loss if it believes it to be in it's own best interests.

Blistrich
04.18.2012 , 11:12 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
games DO have a lifespan.
Then explain this.

Incidentally, I was playing Shining Force last night.

Does this "lifespan" you speak of only pertain to mmos, or...

?