Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Should I Be Worried If They Ever Decide To Pull The Plug On TOR

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Should I Be Worried If They Ever Decide To Pull The Plug On TOR

JoanThom
04.18.2012 , 09:48 AM | #1
Well hey there guys pretty much anyone who ever wants to chill with me on the ebon hawk server will know that I am a super crazy fan boy of The Old Republic and thrilled we finally get to see how it went down in a galaxy far far away way back when. I'm not sure if someone or anyone made a thread like this yet and super duper please do not make this a hate or rage post because I want to try to be serious about it as I can. And Bioware I love you guys and god help me this game is so addictive XD.

Finally working on my first lvl 50 character and have 7 other ones at chapter 2 wanting to get them to lvl 50 some day however in the back of my mind I cant help but to wonder will they ever remove the game like Star Wars Galaxies. (Please dont get upset when I say that :O)

Thats why I was hoping for your guys opinion to say if maybe I should say what the heck dont worry about it so much and lvl all my guys to 50 one day or just keep one at 50.

The reason for this is theres still alot of un played games on steam and tons of achievements on some other games that have been meaning to get unlock and wouldint want to feel like if they ever do that there would be better times spent on steam

Anyways would love to hear from you guys and see how you all feel and thanks for the feed back! Long live TOR!

RavenGlenn
04.18.2012 , 09:50 AM | #2
They will pull the plug someday. Every MMO will.

JamesPat
04.18.2012 , 09:51 AM | #3
By your logic, you should also be worried that one day, you will die.

People have lifespans. So do MMOs.
Lord Shansa Deathchild.
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
By the letting of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes.

Kthx
04.18.2012 , 09:55 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by JoanThom View Post
Finally working on my first lvl 50 character and have 7 other ones at chapter 2 wanting to get them to lvl 50 some day however in the back of my mind I cant help but to wonder will they ever remove the game like Star Wars Galaxies.
Star Wars Galaxies ran from June 26, 2003 to December 15, 2011, so I don't quite see the analogy. Judging by longevity, I think most would consider SWG to have been pretty successful (judging by player expereince and financial performance is a different story).

I may be reading too much into your posting, but the fact that you even worry about this (if the concern is real) and your stated attachment to the game suggest an unhealthy level of attachment. And this comes from someone who is a great fan of the game.

Mallorik
04.18.2012 , 09:56 AM | #5
A month ago i would have said no, then i went to a few servers to try to find one with a decent pop to reroll on and now im really afraid for this game, and if they dont fix most of this by the time gw2 comes out its going to get ugly, and i would not put it past EA to pull the plug on a game early.

First they need to suck it up and fix the server pops, then they need to fix and add in all the things they have been refusing to add in because of a very vocal minority like LFG tool, macros, dual specs to name a few, we have seen what happens to the game when bioware listens to this vocal minority so its time for a change.

Raximillian
04.18.2012 , 09:58 AM | #6
This is not something you should worry about. Just play the game and have fun.

This is something BW should be worried about... They have to do all they can to keep people in the game and happy if they do not want to be shut down.

ThiborF
04.18.2012 , 09:59 AM | #7
*shrug* I wouldn't worry about it in the near future. While certainly there's been others, the only two MMOs that I've played that I know they pulled the plug on have been Asheron's Call 2 and Star Wars Galaxies.

What you typically see with a MMO is launch, peak, brief sharp decline, plateau and then a slow fade.

What varies from game to game is when the peak is hit, how drastic that first major decline is and eventually, what the developers/publishers deem as break even revenue stream to continue support.

Some games peak with their initial sales, others take months or even years to reach their peak. And for some, having as few as 10k subs is enough to keep the pilot light lit though maybe with limited support/development ongoin. For others it might be 50k or even 100k or more. Hard to say and again, that's going to vary from company to company.

As for TOR, as I started with, I wouldn't even begin to start worrying about it.

Holden_Dissent
04.18.2012 , 10:00 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Mallorik View Post
A month ago i would have said no, then i went to a few servers to try to find one with a decent pop to reroll on and now im really afraid for this game, and if they dont fix most of this by the time gw2 comes out its going to get ugly, and i would not put it past EA to pull the plug on a game early.

First they need to suck it up and fix the server pops, then they need to fix and add in all the things they have been refusing to add in because of a very vocal minority like LFG tool, macros, dual specs to name a few, we have seen what happens to the game when bioware listens to this vocal minority so its time for a change.
When you try out a server, make sure to pick one with a standard pop.

LizardSF
04.18.2012 , 10:00 AM | #9
Well, yes, the game will be canceled eventually. I mean, at the least, in four billion years when the sun inflates to a red giant and the Earth is consumed in the flames, the costs of keeping the server room cool will be so high it won't be economical to keep things running.

Probably, it will end slightly before that.

Given that WAR is still tottering along at... what? 2 servers now?, even if SWTOR does much more poorly in the long run than seems likely, it will still probably keep running for a good 4-5 years. It's very likely it will last 10 years or more, depending on unpredictable changes in technology, economy, buying habits, etc. Meredian 59 is still going, albeit wheezing on life support.

Most likely, after 5 years or so, it will become more focused on a slowly-dwindling base of hardcore players, with expansions, content, etc, aimed squarely at the top of the curve. After 6 or 7 years, the engine, etc, will be noticeably clunky; by that time, most new MMOs will look like Crysis 3 or the like, with powerful real-time physics and rendering. There will probably be a long, slow, twilight era, a lot like EQ is in.
MrLizard.com: All-new material for tabletop RPGs (mostly D&D 4e), occasional rants, and original science fiction and fantasy.
Why the developers haven't fixed that bug yet!
Don't be a looser -- read Grammar For Gamers

TUXs
04.18.2012 , 10:02 AM | #10
Seriously, there are WAY more important things to worry about...but being that I'm a psychic and all, I'll help you prepare and tell you secretly that SWTOR closes down on December 21st, 2012. The Mayans weren't lazy...they were RIGHT!
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)