Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

RolePlay Freedom

Onaari
04.18.2012 , 02:18 AM | #1
One thing I personally find SWTOR lacks greatly is Roleplay freedom - in SWG we had massive worlds and the story token system which allowed us to create props, sets and placeable NPCs to act as enemies. Using these we have created huge fortresses inhabited by an army of imperial soldiers and dark jedi. In SWTOR this freedom is lacking greatly. The worlds feel to constricted and there are no placeable props or NPCs. I love RolePlay in the Star Wars universe but RolePlaying feels too empty if we can't shape the world around us slightly to befit our imagination.
I just wanted to say it here instead of keeping it all inside

DeutschGamer
04.18.2012 , 02:36 AM | #2
Its not a sandbox, its not SWG. The games are on totally different planes behind how the game plays.

dazednconfuzed
04.18.2012 , 04:47 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by DeutschGamer View Post
Its not a sandbox, its not SWG. The games are on totally different planes behind how the game plays.
This is no reason not to allow your players at least some freedom to do as they choose. The way TOR is currently, you pretty much have the choice of quest, or pvp, and that's about it.

The difference between SWG and TOR is this: TOR feels like a game. SWG felt more like an interactive world.
Jedi Master Kai'sinn. Not only evil hides in the shadows.
Jedi Master Tzathali. Korriban/Tython Exchange Program.
Major Dulne. Nothing will stop Havoc Squad, Sir.

Cbaoth
04.18.2012 , 05:22 AM | #4
i dont RP myself, but I agree with the op, there should be some options to do more free RP. Suit up BW..
“Pain is weakness leaving the body”

mycommando
04.18.2012 , 05:40 AM | #5
I was thinking maybe that could be restricted to guilds so that as a guild you can buy stuff for guild RP.
If peace is an option I'll take it ......
But a big gun never hurts
You shouldn't just run in and blow stuff up.
Thats my job.

dazednconfuzed
04.18.2012 , 06:02 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by mycommando View Post
I was thinking maybe that could be restricted to guilds so that as a guild you can buy stuff for guild RP.
That isn't 'freedom to RP'. That's 'If you want to RP in our game, you are only allowed to do so on specific servers, in specific guilds, with specific people'.
Jedi Master Kai'sinn. Not only evil hides in the shadows.
Jedi Master Tzathali. Korriban/Tython Exchange Program.
Major Dulne. Nothing will stop Havoc Squad, Sir.

Bielduwyn
04.18.2012 , 06:48 AM | #7
You clearly haven't tried RPing yet. =p You can RP anywhere, with anyone.

Sure not every location is ideal due to monsters spawning and whatever else, but hey, technically that went for SWG as well. I don't see how not being able to influence the world around you is a shortcoming. If anything it adds realism, you can't exactly throw down a house in the middle of a field just because you feel like it in the real world either. I've been RPing in what most would call "theme park" MMOs for over five years now, I can't really say the inability to influence the world ever got in the way of my fun.

DeutschGamer
04.18.2012 , 11:14 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by dazednconfuzed View Post
This is no reason not to allow your players at least some freedom to do as they choose. The way TOR is currently, you pretty much have the choice of quest, or pvp, and that's about it.

The difference between SWG and TOR is this: TOR feels like a game. SWG felt more like an interactive world.
I don't know about you, but I bought this to be a game. If I want a world, I can go outside.

Guildrum
04.18.2012 , 12:43 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by DeutschGamer View Post
I don't know about you, but I bought this to be a game. If I want a world, I can go outside.
Exactly. There are plenty of "games" for people who want to live second lives, then there are games for those of us simply looking to escape reality 2-3 hours a day and swing pixelsabers and shoot our pixelblasters.
The Shaffer Legacy: Begeren Colony

Shaffer Lazy-eye Horace Sleth
Journalist, Pirate Bodyguard Sith

Malles
04.18.2012 , 04:28 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Onaari View Post
One thing I personally find SWTOR lacks greatly is Roleplay freedom - in SWG we had massive worlds and the story token system which allowed us to create props, sets and placeable NPCs to act as enemies. Using these we have created huge fortresses inhabited by an army of imperial soldiers and dark jedi. In SWTOR this freedom is lacking greatly. The worlds feel to constricted and there are no placeable props or NPCs. I love RolePlay in the Star Wars universe but RolePlaying feels too empty if we can't shape the world around us slightly to befit our imagination.
I just wanted to say it here instead of keeping it all inside
We're barely two patches into the game. I doubt SWG had everything that made it cool released at launch. If you're expecting everything to be perfect, you'll be wearing a sad face your entire time on here.

More and less makes the game far better than the devs could.
I used simple happy language words to help you understand.
Why yes, I have been a proud SWTOR Community member since August 2011. Why, wanna fight about it?