Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Early Access 'Waves' - Updating Here

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Early Access 'Waves' - Updating Here

Asquinol
12.13.2011 , 02:59 PM | #6901
Quote: Originally Posted by Byker View Post
Wow all these walls of txt posts just whizzing by without a single person reading them.
Cuz we read it the first time and now they have been spamming it for 25 pages.

Zeugon
12.13.2011 , 02:59 PM | #6902
700!?!?!?

Terito
12.13.2011 , 02:59 PM | #6903
Quote: Originally Posted by StephenReid View Post
Hey everyone.
Our aim is for Star Wars: The Old Republic to be around for a long time to come.

Then why are you running it into the ground? The most loyal playerbase you have is your pre-orders and you've pissed them all off, lol fail.

See, thing is there's a difference. If we all got the same entry, and 1 hr in the server we picked crash, thats the life sux zomg kind of stress. Being told, hey you get no idea when you get in, we lied about grace period, and we are going to make up policies on the fly, is the kind of stress we dont want to put up with
<- Comin at you

AdvRider
12.13.2011 , 02:59 PM | #6904
I agree with starting the game in waves to help with all the frustration of everyone trying to complete quests all at once. However, I do not agree with limiting the amount of waves per day.

Lady_Sinistra
12.13.2011 , 02:59 PM | #6905
Quote: Originally Posted by stinksatthis View Post
everytime you post god kills an ewok
must post more!!!

Moar posting nao!

xianpu
12.13.2011 , 02:59 PM | #6906
Quote: Originally Posted by SkankyPrince View Post
apparently some dude has already dinged lvl 50.This video has been recorded from his stream.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3n0vBcW5fc
Omg, can't believe you got me with that. LOL!

scarbeard
12.13.2011 , 02:59 PM | #6907
I think my boss would be mad if he found out I've been doing this thread for like 3 hours...

HyeJinx
12.13.2011 , 02:59 PM | #6908
Stephen, most of us totally get what you're saying and it's the smart and responsible thing to do. Don't let all the whiners get you down. This really is the smartest launch of an MMO I can remember, and at the end of the day this is just seven days in potentially years and years of playing for most of us. If people are clouded so much by impatience that they can't see that, then there's really nothing that could calm them down. I for one very much appreciate this approach and I'm not even someone who's in the game yet, or will even be tomorrow most likely (pre-order november 16th).
Mandalore the Indomitable: Korvac (Scoundrel), Golden (Sage), Saren (Commando) & Morinth (Sentinel)
Rakata Mind Prison: Huntres (Juggernaut), Garruss (Powertech), Thorian (Assassin) & Vykos (Sniper)

GoDeViLzzz
12.13.2011 , 02:59 PM | #6909
I think really to keep people happy you should allow anyone to play from say 2 am til 9 am so that every player gets a shot at the game each and every single day. As for how things have been done if Bioware/EA/Origin is going exactly by when pins were received well then fine but if they deviated from that at all well shame on them. Eh I guess shame on them but really maybe people shouldn't be getting early access til a game is paid in full. In the future they should have a situation where you get more access if you paid for the game in full before the release date by a certain time.
Imagine

hockeythug
12.13.2011 , 02:59 PM | #6910
Quote:
Hey everyone.

We absolutely understand you want to get in and play the game early. It's one of the reasons we expanded our Early Game Access from a maximum of five days to a maximum of seven days. However, there are a couple of important points to realize about today's opening salvo of invites, and the procedure in general for Early Game Access and launch.

First, Early Game Access and launch is not supposed to be a stress test. In our previous Beta Testing Weekends we got up to very large concurrent number of players and brought invites into the game at a very high rate. That was done to stress test every aspect of our systems and servers, and essentially to see if they broke. In some cases, they did, but that helped us improve for launch.

For us, launch isn't just about stuffing our servers with as many people as possible. As anyone who's been through a large MMO launch can tell you, that experience can be painful. Our aim with this launch was to ramp things up gradually, to spread our player population out amongst a variety of servers, to maintain all server types, and to keep queuing to a minimum (although we expect that to happen as we head towards December 20th). So far, all that has been successful for us on Day One.

The second thing to realize is scale. We invited more people to play Star Wars: The Old Republic today than many other MMO launches manage in their entire head-start process. As I mentioned earlier today, when we opened pre-orders we had a huge spike in numbers - far more than most MMOs capture at launch. That was the initial rush. After that, our pre-orders settled down.

What this means is that tomorrow, you'll effectively start to see the pre-order timeline expand. You'll see people who have pre-ordered later than July getting invites. The day after that, more people will be invited. We're actually planning to invite more tomorrow than today, and invite the same number again on Thursday - at which point we'll be into the original 'five days of Early Game Access'.

Last thing. Why aren't we continuing to send waves over time? Two main reasons - one, because we need to see that the servers are maintaining stability over time; adding a lot of players in a short period (in other words, stress testing) can cause stability issues.

Two, our plan is to continue to add servers - but carefully, and in response to demand. We need to monitor that demand and role out servers accordingly. A long-term recipe for MMO failure is to add a lot of servers early on, and then when population decreases, have to close those servers and merge them together.

Our aim is for Star Wars: The Old Republic to be around for a long time to come. Today's just the first step in that - an early step, too - and we'll be running smoothly, with a stable population, before too long.
#fail