Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Early Access 'Waves' - Updating Here

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Early Access 'Waves' - Updating Here

Tesseractual
12.13.2011 , 02:43 PM | #6381
Truth be told, this is the greatest feedback Bioware could be getting. It gives them an idea just how badly people want the game.

Market research.
Starsider
Balex Orlic
The Protectorate

DarthDraigos
12.13.2011 , 02:43 PM | #6382
Quote: Originally Posted by sslayers View Post
so all this means is that preorder means nothing if u didnt do it 6 months ago and those of us that didnt will be waiting for nothing but the regular launch day
Sorry man, but i only ordered it yesterday unstanding that i will probably not get online until a day or two after EGA started, but at this rate, it looks like the people who still paid like the others but couldnt afford it until more recently are not going to see EGA at all.
SWISH SWISH STAB!
Decemberist
RolePlayer

Sidneyshi
12.13.2011 , 02:43 PM | #6383
I honestly don't mind that I didn't get in today--just tell me when, and I'll be patient until then...just give me some estimate so I don't hang around every day checking my e-mail every minute LOL

Just don't take my character name and I'll be happy

Esmaka
12.13.2011 , 02:43 PM | #6384
originally posted by kinegos
this isn't a troll, and isn't exactly qq although there is some of that involved.

I just want to put it down for the record that the way this early access program has been implemented is truly one of the most poorly conceived ideas that i've ever personally encountered in over 25 years of playing video games. I've personally participated in launches of 6 other mmo games, and there is nothing in those experiences that compares to how ridiculous this process is.

When you are dealing with a pre-launch even that is only for pre-order customers, after an extensive and massive beta testing period that was a huge success according to nearly all sources involved - it begs the huge question as to what is the limiting factor in the way you have chosen to roll out this game. I personally participated in the beta in a very limited way (not by choice, mind you, i just wasn't lucky enough to get a key) and was only online during the big thanksgiving weekend test. That test was wonderful - there were a huge number of servers, and a huge population of testers. The game performance was amazing.

So, ea/bw - what exactly are you afraid of?

The only way this should have been done is to have given all pre-orders (perhaps separated only by level of game purchased - i.e. Ce customers get 7 days, se get 5, e.g.) access at exactly the same time. Of course it will overload the servers and queues would ensue and all that - but that's what we all expect. Making your customers wait unknowingly with no idea how long it will be or when to expect an email is just adding insult to injury. A poor alternative would have been to send out emails with a set time and day that your access would be available.

I read in the top post how you are monitoring the server performance and are rolling waves based on server performance. Are you seriously saying you have to wonder at this point if your servers can perform up to the task - when you probably still have 90% of the launch day players yet to even be able to play? That is not at all a good message to be sending at the beginning of an mmo franchise.

At any rate, i love this game. I love bw. But i truly despise and am sickened by the way you chose to put your customers through so much stress for absolutely no good or justifiable reason.

I truly hope you improve, because this is a very very poor way to start out.

Pauleh
12.13.2011 , 02:43 PM | #6385
Sucks to see all the hate coming from the pro-wait folk, really isn't needed.

SickTag
12.13.2011 , 02:43 PM | #6386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinegos
This isn't a troll, and isn't exactly QQ although there is some of that involved.

I just want to put it down for the record that the way this early access program has been implemented is truly one of the most poorly conceived ideas that I've ever personally encountered in over 25 years of playing video games. I've personally participated in launches of 6 other MMO games, and there is nothing in those experiences that compares to how ridiculous this process is.

When you are dealing with a pre-launch even that is only for pre-order customers, after an extensive and massive beta testing period that was a huge success according to nearly all sources involved - it begs the huge question as to what is the limiting factor in the way you have chosen to roll out this game. I personally participated in the beta in a very limited way (not by choice, mind you, I just wasn't lucky enough to get a key) and was only online during the big Thanksgiving weekend test. That test was wonderful - there were a huge number of servers, and a huge population of testers. The game performance was amazing.

So, EA/BW - what exactly are you afraid of?

The ONLY way this should have been done is to have given ALL pre-orders (perhaps separated only by level of game purchased - i.e. CE customers get 7 days, SE get 5, e.g.) access at exactly the same time. Of course it will overload the servers and queues would ensue and all that - but that's what we all expect. Making your customers wait unknowingly with no idea how long it will be or when to expect an email is just adding insult to injury. A poor alternative would have been to send out emails with a set time and day that your access would be available.

I read in the top post how you are monitoring the server performance and are rolling waves based on server performance. Are you seriously saying you have to wonder at this point if your servers can perform up to the task - when you probably still have 90% of the launch day players yet to even be able to play? That is not at all a good message to be sending at the beginning of an MMO franchise.

At any rate, I love this game. I love BW. But I truly despise and am sickened by the way you chose to put your customers through so much stress for absolutely no good or justifiable reason.

If any message gets read it should be this one, to which they should reply.

Perhaps they will actually read this.

Here-I-Am-Now
12.13.2011 , 02:43 PM | #6387
THIS SAYS IT ALL!! COPY AND PASTE SO THEY GET THE MESSAGE!

Originally Posted by Kinegos
This isn't a troll, and isn't exactly QQ although there is some of that involved.

I just want to put it down for the record that the way this early access program has been implemented is truly one of the most poorly conceived ideas that I've ever personally encountered in over 25 years of playing video games. I've personally participated in launches of 6 other MMO games, and there is nothing in those experiences that compares to how ridiculous this process is.

When you are dealing with a pre-launch even that is only for pre-order customers, after an extensive and massive beta testing period that was a huge success according to nearly all sources involved - it begs the huge question as to what is the limiting factor in the way you have chosen to roll out this game. I personally participated in the beta in a very limited way (not by choice, mind you, I just wasn't lucky enough to get a key) and was only online during the big Thanksgiving weekend test. That test was wonderful - there were a huge number of servers, and a huge population of testers. The game performance was amazing.

So, EA/BW - what exactly are you afraid of?

The ONLY way this should have been done is to have given ALL pre-orders (perhaps separated only by level of game purchased - i.e. CE customers get 7 days, SE get 5, e.g.) access at exactly the same time. Of course it will overload the servers and queues would ensue and all that - but that's what we all expect. Making your customers wait unknowingly with no idea how long it will be or when to expect an email is just adding insult to injury. A poor alternative would have been to send out emails with a set time and day that your access would be available.

I read in the top post how you are monitoring the server performance and are rolling waves based on server performance. Are you seriously saying you have to wonder at this point if your servers can perform up to the task - when you probably still have 90% of the launch day players yet to even be able to play? That is not at all a good message to be sending at the beginning of an MMO franchise.

At any rate, I love this game. I love BW. But I truly despise and am sickened by the way you chose to put your customers through so much stress for absolutely no good or justifiable reason.

Every man has the power to repent. I have faith in that.

Furyio
12.13.2011 , 02:43 PM | #6388
While I appreciate the post coming half way through the day, it does show a severe lack of forsight and planning, that there wasn't clear and precise data available well in advance.

Knowing how many pre orders you have had, which no doubt is a very easy check-up through your analytics, this information about waves, and who would be included could have been provided some days/ week in advace.

Instead there was not buzz, or hype, but frustration for many.

Looking forward to the early access, I booked two days of work making the assumption I would get in, with a preorder date of 5 days after first pre order launch. Not only did I waste a day holiday, I have potentially wasted tomorrow aswell if an invite does not arrive.

I'm extremely dissapointed and equally frustrated. Not at not receiving early access, that is fine, but that it took till the middle of the afternoon ( GMT) for any reliable, accurate and informative information to be supplied regarding todays access.

I sincerely hope this is a lesson well learned and that there are no clear blatant lack of forsights going forward in the future, and that data you have had to hand for weeks can be used and acted upon correctly.

I eagerly look forward to F5'ing my email client all day tomorrow......

Nex_Seraphim
12.13.2011 , 02:43 PM | #6389
how many pages go by while I type this in?

Yaretzi
12.13.2011 , 02:43 PM | #6390
By far this idea was stupid. I would have been perfectly fine if I had to sit in queue most of the day at least I'd know what number I was. They're not even doing it as they claimed they would be. I redeemed my code 28/7 and people that redeemed theirs in Nov and Dec are already playing. How is that fair? How is that even how Early Access was supposed to go? It seems to be pretty much at random now. So what was the real purpose of Early Access, oh yes that's right, marketing. How can you get more people to pre-order as opposed to just walking in on launch day and buying it at the store, you say they MAY get up to 7-5 days of free access. BW/EA really didn't plan this out at all. I can only wonder how it would have gone had they stuck to the 15th access date. Some information would have been nice letting the community know an estimate of how many players will be invited. 5 waves of invites is also a lame idea. It was only 2pm CST when the last batch went out. They still have all evening and all night, you're telling me they can't get in a few hundred more people? That's ridiculous. Not everyone is going to stay up all night playing, and I'm sure a lot of people would have been just happy saving a couple names. If they think people won't try to put in funny letters in their names, they're sadly mistaken. I wouldn't be surprised if people start making the most ridiculous names because the one they wanted was taken. I didn't play many MMOs at launch, except WoW. At the time of launch I didn't like waiting in queue, but it sure beats how this launch is going.
◄╚╗╔╗ ۞╔╗╔╝{████████████████████████████████)If I cannot deflect the will of Heaven, I shall move Hell