Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

IBJammin
12.28.2011 , 12:57 PM | #71
Interesting. I haven't had any problems knowing when people are talking to me. My guess is that the folks that are ignoring you now will probably still ignore you after the implementation.

As long as we can toggle them I don't see why it would hurt the game for those that seem to really like the things.

Glzmo
12.28.2011 , 02:02 PM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth-Rion View Post
DCUO didn't add chat bubbles.

Look where it is now.

You have been warned Bioware!
That's exactly why I don't play DC Universe Online (and it's free to play, too, while TOR consts a premium monthly fee!). And I really, really love the IP in a similar manner as I love Star Wars. It would be such a shame if another MMORPG based on my favorite IP would remain without chat bubbles and would force me not to play it any longer.

yononan
12.28.2011 , 02:11 PM | #73
Quote: Originally Posted by Fugitron View Post
I agree we need chat bubbles.... just today I was standing outside of a phase entrance and needed help completing the next part and people were running in and out of groups and I asked about 7 or 8 people in spatial /say with no responses... it took spamming general chat to find a person to group with even with the abundance of players around me. Chat bubbles would have alleviated this problem I think.
THIS.... so much THIS!

I just had the same thing happen to me. It's INFURIATING not being able to get the attention of people around you for certain situations.

By the time I had finished "whispering" every person in the group I saw in front of me trying to figure out who the freaking leader was so I could ask for an invite, they were inside the instance killing the boss.

I can not believe a company KNOWN for its RPG'S has missed this CRITICALLY IMPORTANT SOCIAL TOOL.

UGH!

PLease, Bioware is showing its lack of experience in the MMO arena with boneheaded moves like this.

Darth-Rion
12.28.2011 , 05:41 PM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by Glzmo View Post
That's exactly why I don't play DC Universe Online (and it's free, too!). And I really, really love the IP in a similar manner as I love Star Wars. It would be such a shame if another MMORPG based on my favorite IP would remain without chat bubbles and would force me not to play it any longer.
I loved the game despite its flaws (which I honestly didn't notice), but I couldn't bring myself to RP due to lack of chat bubbles.

Another thing I think should be mentioned for implementaton... speech actions. Standing lifeless while chatting doesn't help much either.

Though I do often

/ponder

For effect.

Lolliipopp
12.28.2011 , 05:46 PM | #75
BioWare is just lazy because this is a PC game. There is no reason to lock out certain features from the game because it hits performance. Some people have better PC's than others and they shouldn't 'suffer', for lack of a better word, because of it. It's the same with textures, people with truly high end machines should be able to experience extremly hi-res textures.

I don't care if it isn't high one the priority list, just announce 'We are currently working on higher resolution textures, but because of <Insert reason here> we won't do it immediatley. This including viewing distance, the distance at wich grass and objects appear on your screen all this kind of stuff.
| i5-2500k @ 4.3 GHz | NH-D14 | P67 Sabertooth | 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Blu | GTX 560ti | 2x Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD in RAID 0 | BitFenix Shinobi | ASUS Xonar Essence One DAC | Prodipe Pro5 |

peroxsigh
12.28.2011 , 06:13 PM | #76
With guild, chat, general chat, experience gains and loot all popping up on my chat, I will NEVER say what is being said in the /say.

In fact, the reason /general is so popular in SWTOR vs other games anyhow is because no one is confident that they will be noticed in /say.

I will admit, when standing directly in front of someone, i will /1 instead of /say in order to speak to them. The game needs chat bubbles. Deal with it. it is only a form of spam if you are close enough to the person to see a bubble appear. If not chat bubbles, show some indication that the person have written something.
This was one of the worst launches, ever. I should have known, considering EA is involved. Anyone remember the 7 hour server crashes for BF3?

Thodra
12.29.2011 , 06:48 AM | #77
Any news, if they are planing to add it to the game?

Glzmo
12.29.2011 , 02:16 PM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by Thodra View Post
Any news, if they are planing to add it to the game?
Good question. I haven't heard anything. Perhaps people that have a twitter account should ask on the swtor twitter, as they seem to answer questions there more than on the forums. I myself don't have one, so I can't do that, but it may be a good way to steer awareness to the issue.

CyberData
12.29.2011 , 02:28 PM | #79
Have to agree with optional chat bubbles.

Sorry for all the anti-chat bubble peeps, but you need to deal with it. We're only asking for OPTIONAL chat bubbles. In SWG, EQ2 & WoW you could disable them in the options. I never did, because I love chat bubbles. It's a great way to contextualize who's saying what in an area visually.
I can't heal through stupid....

Redoubti
12.29.2011 , 03:12 PM | #80
I remember the droids at the starports that spammed ads in SWG. And the people that afk spammed.