Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Wrakk
02.09.2012 , 10:32 PM | #491
/signed.

I bet it's 'HORRIBLY hard' to implement it...

Moroder
02.10.2012 , 03:33 AM | #492
we will get news on this at some stage. Really BW a 50+ page thread and now word? You have to have seen this?
Couldn't figure out how to make ASCII lightsabre, if I knew how it would be here...

Plaite
02.10.2012 , 01:00 PM | #493
Any dev word on these yet?
|||||||||||||||||||

Frigidman
02.10.2012 , 02:03 PM | #494
On the recent forum posted hot-topic poll, it had 3457 total votes (which is unique accounts who have access to the game). According to those sketchy playerbase number reporting sites, this game has 'over hundreds of thousands' of players. So 3.4k out of 100k+ is a small percentage of people who use these forums to submit feedback to the devs.

That small percentage is then charged with issue posts about quality of life improvements, minor pvp issues, and game engine woes.

Guess what the devs listen to? Yup, pvp issues. So apparently a teeny representative of the player base is enough for the devs to focus all their attention on something they admitted was only actually being 'tried' 'less then half' the time according to their metrics data. Yet dozens of quality of life issues (like chat bubbles) that actually improve the game on a huge scale, is left ignored time and time again.

Luckily they have made attempts at engine woes... but I've yet to see them actually work. Haha.

Where am I going with this?! Granted those here voicing their desire for chat bubbles is still within that 3.4k of representatives. Judging by the posts in these threads, there is a much higher percentage wanting chat bubbles then against. If the devs listen to a smaller group griping about some obscure pvp dynamic that affects less then half the player base, why won't they listen to something like this topic, which affects pretty much everyone across the entire game, pvp included??

Baffling their silence on chat bubbles.

As a side note: Luckily the results of that poll has caused them to finally once and for all do cooldowns right (options driven, yay).

They really should post polls on the game launcher, to capture the ACTUAL playerbase response. Not just us freaks who torment our brains with these forums.

Ok, end total tangent.
Hire website designers that actually have had real life experience in the job.
Then let me know so I can return to the forum.

Stubacca
02.10.2012 , 07:19 PM | #495
Quote: Originally Posted by Frigidman View Post
That small percentage is then charged with issue posts about quality of life improvements, minor pvp issues, and game engine woes.

Guess what the devs listen to? Yup, pvp issues. So apparently a teeny representative of the player base is enough for the devs to focus all their attention on something they admitted was only actually being 'tried' 'less then half' the time according to their metrics data. Yet dozens of quality of life issues (like chat bubbles) that actually improve the game on a huge scale, is left ignored time and time again.
What saddens me is that they are making all the rookie mistakes that developers of MMORPGs have made 8+ years ago, instead of learning from the mistakes of others that took them painful lessons to learn.

I really don't get it. Chat bubbles are easy to implement. They have been working in beta - even as an option. Just give us that option back. Can't be that hard, can it? If it is, then Bioware needs to fire their developers and hire proper professional designers and programmers that actually know their field of expertise and have them do better.
Add Wookiees as playable species (solution to voice over problem: MT-D Miniaturized Translator Droid!
SUBSCRIPTION WON'T BE RENEWED due to the lasting lack of CHAT BUBBLES and how long-term subcribers are treated by EA/Bioware.

Glzmo
02.10.2012 , 07:55 PM | #496
I just read the Community Q&A: Feb 10th 2012 Blog and of course, they once again ignored chat bubbles, even they were among the more often asked questions in the question thread. Same goes for other RP questions, too. Very sad.

Make sure to ask about chat bubbles again in the Official Q&A Thread for February 17th, 2012 Q&A Blog Post and every single one every week. One day, they won't be able to ignore and dodge the question anymore and it will hit them square in the face. Right?

Mishari
02.11.2012 , 04:30 AM | #497
Quote: Originally Posted by Glzmo View Post
I just read the Community Q&A: Feb 10th 2012 Blog and of course, they once again ignored chat bubbles, even they were among the more often asked questions in the question thread. Same goes for other RP questions, too. Very sad.

Make sure to ask about chat bubbles again in the Official Q&A Thread for February 17th, 2012 Q&A Blog Post and every single one every week. One day, they won't be able to ignore and dodge the question anymore and it will hit them square in the face. Right?
That is really a shame.

I'm not someone who needs chat bubbles or uses them for RP, sitting on chairs, being able to lay down and a roll system are more important for me. But I do understand that you want them and I support this whole thread.

/sign

What I don't get is: in my opinion, it is rather easy to make roleplayers happy and we are faithful, but we get ignored most of the time. They just have to fix a few things or improve them, thats it. The thing pve & pvpers want are (most of the time) more complex.

HollowPoint
02.11.2012 , 09:08 AM | #498
/signed

I want chat bubbles!
HollowPoint
[Soldiers of Hate] The Black Vulkars server
Polynikes: Sith Assassin Hollowpoint: Powertech
...evil will always triumph, because good is dumb. - Dark Helmet

Frigidman
02.11.2012 , 11:16 AM | #499
Quote: Originally Posted by Glzmo View Post

Maybe they just want us all to cancel, then they won't HAVE to answer the question?

But, I'm going to ask it again.

The Q&A they posted, did 'touch' on a couple concerns I had, but not in any useful way other than "yeah, its coming in the future sometime". Which is all they need to answer for chat bubbles! My only hope is, with all this huge UI changes they have coming in 1.2... chat bubbles is in that (since its an important UI element).

However I know I will be let down. I have zero faith in their UI team, if all their prior games are any indication of their skill.
Hire website designers that actually have had real life experience in the job.
Then let me know so I can return to the forum.

ThaRealMatix
02.11.2012 , 01:46 PM | #500
/agreed