Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

MajikMyst
12.19.2011 , 07:04 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Cave View Post
The developers said during beta that adding chat bubbles for spatial chat was a high priority feature for launch. I am baffled as to why they haven't delivered.
Perhaps because most people didn't want chat bubbles?? As part of the beta, I am sure you saw a number of the countless polls that all showed the majority of the people didn't want them.. I know I did and I was in the beta.. Oh.. No the developers did not say that..

For the most part the RP crowd and or the SWG crowd want them.. Other than that they are deemed as a being an annoyance and harmful to emmersion..

I personally don't care.. As long as their is an option to completely turn them off.. But then the ability to turn them off kinda defeats the purpose of having them.. I have no issue if they are added for the RP crowd.. Again, we need a means to turn them off completely for everyone else.. I don't want to walk through my capital planet or my fleet station and see a comic strip of people talking.. In either case.. I don't see them as a priority..

You all should learn to use regular chat.. It is a wonderfull thing..
Who is the more foolish? The fool or the fool that follows him?

[.] Lost but never forgotten!! 12-01-2011 R.I.P.

Ciscero
12.19.2011 , 07:06 AM | #12
I have to agree, that chat bubbles are needed.

I only purchased this game to play with old friends from SWG. My friends are playing on a RP server. I do enjoy a bit of RP, but having to watch a ridiculous chat window and try to figure out who is talking kills the immersion of the mmoRPG.

I thought I was going to be playing a "new" game. Chat windows/tabs are as old as the original text based adventure games.

Tarka
12.19.2011 , 07:07 AM | #13
Regardless of who DOESN'T want them, if it was optional in the preferences then that would suit everyone.
Supporter of having the following in the game:
Full Control Space Combat, More Playable Species (not unlockable),
Swimming, Sitting In Chairs, Planetary Day / Night Cycles and other MMORPG elements
MMO's are not meant to be films, and neither should they be movie-studio set tours

Glzmo
12.20.2011 , 02:22 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by MajikMyst View Post
Perhaps because most people didn't want chat bubbles?? As part of the beta, I am sure you saw a number of the countless polls that all showed the majority of the people didn't want them..I know I did and I was in the beta..
Haha. I like your sarcasm. But it could confuse people who don't undestand that.

To clarify for those that weren't in the beta, pretty much all the polls and threads about chat bubbles (and there were many as there was a very large amount of people that wasn't happy that they weren't in) I saw during my months in general beta were clearly supporting an option to enable chat bubbles.

Of course, there were some inconsiderate people who thought "I hate/don't care about chat bubbles, so nobody else shouldn't even get an option to enable them", but luckily, they were in the minority. Most people were considerate enough to understand that some players can't enjoy the game without chat bubbles for spatial chat and supported adding the option, even if they themselves don't wish to use it.

Quote: Originally Posted by MajikMyst View Post
Oh.. No the developers did not say that..
There was a thread (which I shamelessly stole most of the top post from) that Mr. Zoeller himself responded to in which he said chat bubbles were a high priority for launch. Everyone that paid attention to the topic in the general beta forums during the last couple of weeks of beta knows it.

James Ohlen said the same during the fansite summit not so long ago, too.

I really hope chat bubbles will be implemented soon, as without them, socializing, roleplay, PVE questing, finding people in around you to group up to finish a common quest instead of trying to steal the kill/klick and even PVP is completely tedious, annoying and not fun at all.

Stubacca
12.20.2011 , 03:36 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Oooz View Post
its not a standard feature, in fact not many mmo's have this feature and thats a relief, bloody hate chat bubbles appearing everywhere. totaly no need for them.
It is, if you look at most of the modern MMORPGs that had some kind of success (WoW, LOTRO, Age of Conan, Everquest 2, Guildwars, Star Wars: Galaxies) you will realize that most of them have chat bubbles or at least overhead text.

If you hate them most of these games have the option to turn them off. Would it hurt you guys if you could just switch them off and people who really want them or can not play without them can use them? I don't know how anyone can be annoyed if they implement it like that.
Add Wookiees as playable species (solution to voice over problem: MT-D Miniaturized Translator Droid!
SUBSCRIPTION WON'T BE RENEWED due to the lasting lack of CHAT BUBBLES and how long-term subcribers are treated by EA/Bioware.

Junious
12.20.2011 , 03:39 AM | #16
Bubbles are very much needed. Especially for the RP servers, which are 99% free of RP due to the lack of chat bubbles at the moment.

Behn
12.20.2011 , 03:40 AM | #17
ROFL at the people that see's chat bubble as a spam and makes their game unplayable. Are you guys playing the game at 640x480 on a 15inch screen?

Fugitron
12.20.2011 , 03:50 AM | #18
I agree we need chat bubbles.... just today I was standing outside of a phase entrance and needed help completing the next part and people were running in and out of groups and I asked about 7 or 8 people in spatial /say with no responses... it took spamming general chat to find a person to group with even with the abundance of players around me. Chat bubbles would have alleviated this problem I think.
Fugis L'dia

Stubacca
12.20.2011 , 03:52 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Junious View Post
Bubbles are very much needed. Especially for the RP servers, which are 99% free of RP due to the lack of chat bubbles at the moment.
This is what I'm noticing all of the time as well. Even though I pretty much do RP 24/7 in any other MMORPG, I didn't have any RP experience yet even though I play on an RP Server. I tried to with my Guildies but we pretty much gave up on it, because so much was going on in the chat window that you just oversaw most of the conversations.

Since RP and social interaction is pretty much the main reason why I play MMORPGs, I just can't imagine to play the game in the long run. I rather return to LOTRO in which the quest might not be that engaging as in TOR, but I can play without paying a monthly fee because of my lifetime VIP membership there and I have all the RP features that I need (overhead text, a bunch of emotes which are pretty much all animated, a world that I like equally to Star Wars world).
Add Wookiees as playable species (solution to voice over problem: MT-D Miniaturized Translator Droid!
SUBSCRIPTION WON'T BE RENEWED due to the lasting lack of CHAT BUBBLES and how long-term subcribers are treated by EA/Bioware.

Moroder
12.20.2011 , 03:56 AM | #20
really has to happen. I think people must think I am ignnorant as half the time i never know if someone is trying to talk to me
Couldn't figure out how to make ASCII lightsabre, if I knew how it would be here...