Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Marodel
01.18.2014 , 11:20 PM | #1541
Quote: Originally Posted by Heffos View Post
Chat bubbles would provide a huge relief during role play gatherings with more than ten people participating, when everyone speaks at the same time. Bazaars, political gatherings, rowdy cantinas; all of these events would benefit from the chat bubbles!
I agree! I have played a couple MMOs with chat bubble options and they make a big difference in the perception of human presence. Cantinas and the fleet have many players in a large area but I don't get the feeling of hustle and bustle or life-like chatter happening. The current chat system works but...with the lack of audible conversations, the chat bubbles really fill a gap and make local conversations easier and more natural.

I have been wondering when/if these were going to ever make their way into SWTOR. If they could solve the performance issue, this would be a great option to have.

anonnn
01.19.2014 , 12:20 AM | #1542
Quote: Originally Posted by Marodel View Post
I agree! I have played a couple MMOs with chat bubble options and they make a big difference in the perception of human presence.
The perception of human presence! Yes! More than one person has described chat bubbles as a mere cartoonish blob on the screen, and I'm not sure why anyone could miss the benefit of it, that with chat bubbles the chat text is strongly associated with the likeness of the player's character that you're talking to, leading to a much richer (and more natural) form of social environment.

Glzmo
01.20.2014 , 11:51 AM | #1543
Quote: Originally Posted by anonnn View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Marodel View Post
I agree! I have played a couple MMOs with chat bubble options and they make a big difference in the perception of human presence.
The perception of human presence! Yes! More than one person has described chat bubbles as a mere cartoonish blob on the screen, and I'm not sure why anyone could miss the benefit of it, that with chat bubbles the chat text is strongly associated with the likeness of the player's character that you're talking to, leading to a much richer (and more natural) form of social environment.
These are some great points that hit the nail right on the head with some wonderful wording there. I hope you two don't mind that I stole from it and added it to the top post.

anonnn
01.20.2014 , 02:15 PM | #1544
Quote: Originally Posted by Glzmo View Post
These are some great points that hit the nail right on the head with some wonderful wording there. I hope you two don't mind that I stole from it and added it to the top post.
Chat Bubbles _ _ I think we might actually get these some day, and that makes me hopeful for the future of SWToR. I can't even describe how central chat bubbles were to the SWG social environment, they were used every time I was online, to project what I wanted to say into the environment. I don't even specifically remember what the chat console looked like, but I sure as heck remember what the chat bubbles looked like, they were awesome.

I thought of another tidbit ... there should be an additional preferences checkbox for "Show Offscreen Chat Bubbles". If someone out of your visual field types in something that creates a chat bubble, it would show along the side of your screen closest to where you could turn to see the person, and the chat bubble talk-line would drag off the screen so it's obvious it's an out-of-view person talking. Maybe these could also be displayed in noticeably smaller text to give a strong visual indication of what you're looking at when there are a large number of chat bubbles on-screen.

A neat thing with chat bubbles in general would be if clicking on a chat bubble makes the speaker your current target, and double-clicking a chat bubble would in addition swivel you around to face the speaker.

I hope sooner or later BioWare kind of snaps out of the narrow focus they have on features, and puts in major enhancements to the social environment. Dance floors where the tiles light up as you walk and dance on them, social droids that imbue you with a unique social ability for the next minute, huge numbers of actively animated emotes, private instanced lounges that can be decorated with items and sittable furniture, an in-game event invitation system, etc etc... things that would make it possible to have fun doing nothing more than socializing the entire evening in-game. But by leaps and bounds, Chat Bubbles are at the top of my list.

anonnn
01.20.2014 , 02:19 PM | #1545
Oh wow I almost can't believe it that it hasn't been suggested yet (I think), but chat bubbles should be just like here on the forums, where there's the possibility to put smiley-faces of varying styles into the chat bubble, you just have to know the right combination of characters _ B-) _

Huatar
01.20.2014 , 02:37 PM | #1546
Far too often I lose track of many conversations because I'm forced to look at the chat window.

Please implement this as an option, BioWare.

Sangrar
01.20.2014 , 04:08 PM | #1547
I would prefer Biowares time and energy spent on real content, not a bubble over our heads, chat is enough, you can even create custom channels I think I read somewhere.
Click this REFFERAL LINK for free character transfer, free inventory slot, and one week free sub time for preffered and subscribed accounts! You can read more about it HERE to prove it's legit

Stubacca
01.20.2014 , 04:28 PM | #1548
Quote: Originally Posted by Sangrar View Post
I would prefer Biowares time and energy spent on real content, not a bubble over our heads, chat is enough, you can even create custom channels I think I read somewhere.
Well, that has been done for over 2 years now.
I think it would only be fair that those that are waiting for chat bubbles would finally get them. It's been the number one feature the social roleplay community has been craving for since launch and even since before that in beta. And it's been promised to us by Bioware to be done soon over and over again. We were told "be patient, they are coming". We were patient and kept subscribing faithfully to the game in good faith that our money will be used for development of chat bubbles and other social roleplay features just as much as for PVP features - alas, that never happened. And we kept paying for a game that lacked the most important feature for us that would make it fun: chat bubbles.
I understand that for many that are pure PVEers or PVPers that have never used them, chat bubbles may not mean much (but there are some among those that know and cherish the benefit of utilizing chat bubbles in their playstyle as well). And nobody wants to force the feature upon you. You don't like it, don't turn it on.
But you have to think about the players who's main playstyle is social roleplay that had to take a backseat to all the PVPers and PVEers and their updates for years now. Don't get me wrong, we are happy for PVPers and PVErs getting their content and I support that, too, but it would be super nice and fair if the PVPers and PVEers that only care for their own playstyle would support us roleplayers and socializers for a change. Please look at it from our perspective for once.
You need to realize that for many of us, Chat bubbles are of the same importance as the warzone queue, galactic starfighter hangar or group finder are for the other playstyles. Sure you can organize PVP or PVE without it just like you can organize social gatherings or roleplay, but for many those are still features that are much needed to play with others.
Add Wookiees as playable species (solution to voice over problem: MT-D Miniaturized Translator Droid!
SUBSCRIPTION WON'T BE RENEWED due to the lasting lack of CHAT BUBBLES and how long-term subcribers are treated by EA/Bioware.

TheSeer
01.20.2014 , 05:59 PM | #1549
I wish they would add them of course they’d have to be toggle on/off for those that don't like them but truthful my hope of ever seeing them adding to the game is very low. As for the people saying they need to focus on other content they have expand almost all other area of the game so there no reason this feature shouldn't be added. Grup finder isn’t needed to do flashpoint/operation but it a nice feature to have, so would cjat bubbles. Actual I was quite surprise that they didn’t have this feature added in the first year, as all the MMO I've played have always had them. Oh well I keep my finger crossed that maybe well get them this year.

Huatar
01.21.2014 , 09:55 PM | #1550
Bumping this topic in full support of it. It amazes me that BioWare still hasn't made this feature available.