Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

alanjferg
01.04.2012 , 07:51 PM | #111
The main reason I joined SWTOR is because I wanted to roleplay in it and begin a new epic Star Wars adventure. I have RP'd for about 5 years in games now and I have to say, this no chat bubbles thing is really bad news. I hope to god its fixed or I just won't enjoy the game. It's a beautiful game, the stage is set for some really awesome RP but the lack of at least chat bubbles is killing it for me. I am just one standard RPer but I know, very well, that I can safely say, on behalf of every one of them out there that chat bubbles are a MUST if RP is to exist.

And as others have said, it's not just RP but the social interaction all together.

Understandably, in games like SWG, chat bubbles got out of control, but in the likes of WoW - they didn't. It makes sense for there to be an option to enable or disable them. Because if they don't arrive or aren't announced to be arriving I will just go back to another game where I can find the proper tools to RP. The tiny chat frame atm is just not enough in any way.

But by now the devs will know all of this so we can only wait for the announcement.

Thrage
01.04.2012 , 07:52 PM | #112
There are/were some chat bubbles in late beta, it's something they're just not finished with yet. They're coming.

alanjferg
01.04.2012 , 07:55 PM | #113
Quote: Originally Posted by Thrage View Post
There are/were some chat bubbles in late beta, it's something they're just not finished with yet. They're coming.
I hope so! Makes me worry less reading your post :P

Thrage
01.04.2012 , 07:57 PM | #114
It probably would have made it into release if the game had been pushed back, but for any number of reasons, the game was released in December. So, it's just something we have to wait on.

Radagastimus
01.04.2012 , 07:58 PM | #115
Without reading anything more than topic i agree 100% with the topic

xinloom
01.04.2012 , 10:35 PM | #116
/sign bubbles, I need!
"We'll follow the rhythm of the Song of the Universe -- Until the Great Merging comes." - Vector Hyllus

Dewystew
01.04.2012 , 10:38 PM | #117
yesss

Bagofbones
01.04.2012 , 11:47 PM | #118
Chat bubbles.
Yes please.

Glzmo
01.05.2012 , 05:58 AM | #119
Quote: Originally Posted by Thrage View Post
It probably would have made it into release if the game had been pushed back, but for any number of reasons, the game was released in December. So, it's just something we have to wait on.
Well, we were promised several times before release (both in beta, at interviews and the fansite summit) that they were a high priority feature to be implemented for launch or shortly after if they didn't make it.
What worries me and many others, however, is that there has been no mention of chat bubbles from developers since and the general silence when the topic is mentioned to the developers, be it via forums, PMs or twitter.

It would be nice to get a heads-up that chat bubbles are still slated as "high-priority" and indeed slated to be added to the game soon to ease the minds of all the players that rely on them to be able to enjoy the game especially before the time to pay their first monthly fee is due.

Heck, even an inofficial, working way to turn on chat bubbles via .ini tweak would be great at this point - at least until they can iron out any problems with them and add them to the official preferences.

Otherwise, many roleplayers and socializers may cancel the subscription to the game before the first payment is due, which would be a great shame. Bioware would be doing themselves a great disservice if they'd let that happen.

fordpre
01.05.2012 , 06:01 AM | #120
Sorry but me dont "need" chat bubbles you want them as do quite a few others. For many others myself included they are pretty much irrelevant not that I begrudge the devs adding these if they see fit.