Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

LogicAudio
11.26.2012 , 02:05 AM | #1011
Chat bubbles would help interactions!

/sign!
███████████████████⋮▓≬╬[.⊙]╬▓┆]███████████████████

Journeyer
11.26.2012 , 07:29 AM | #1012
The biggest problem with chat bubbles, which seems to be cheerfully overlooked, is that they are unreadable in the current design of Swtor.

Head up to the fleet, near anything--the gtn, guild bank, cargo holds, QT points, PvP area--and try to pick out individual character names among the sea of same-coloured words floating at the same height above everyone's heads. Now, add full paragraphs of text, as OP requests.

Bioware has designed the game's environments to encourage players to wind up smooshed together. Chat bubbles are nightmareish in this scenario.

I *would*, however, like to have bubbles, so I'd suggest something like this:
The /say command would display speech bubbles to only players within a few meters of the player. The /yell command would have a much larger range, and would have a short lockout timer, 10 seconds or so.
Chatting in /p and /ops out of combat would show the bubbles to your party and ops.

In short, I cannot think that popping bubbles over everyone's heads is going to help visibility, and it will hurt folks suffering from lag already. But if we're maybe a bit less exuberant about all-bubbles-all-the-time, I think this can work.
I make useful, game-expanding suggestions.
Holorancor | Food! | Outfit Storage | My Career | Ultimate PvE Solution

kirorx
11.26.2012 , 09:25 AM | #1013
102 pages and not 1 dev response.

Not much faith we will see this implemented.
Watch the Clowder of Cather in this video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j7uTcYvoEbU

JacksonMo
11.26.2012 , 09:25 AM | #1014
I've seen screen shots from SWG.. The chat bubbles made it an even more of a cluttered mess than we have now already.
I know, some troll is gonna say "but we just want the option" blah blah blah. Get over it. This game is laggy enough without adding even more rubbish to the downstream.

gilephor
11.26.2012 , 12:23 PM | #1015
A vote no from me on chat bubbles, they just get in the way. The only way I would agree with it is if they could isolate them to RP servers only.

There are better things for them to spend their time on this something aesthetic like this.

Stubacca
11.26.2012 , 04:20 PM | #1016
Quote: Originally Posted by gilephor View Post
A vote no from me on chat bubbles, they just get in the way. The only way I would agree with it is if they could isolate them to RP servers only.

There are better things for them to spend their time on this something aesthetic like this.
You clearly don't understand what the original post is asking for. It's an option to toggle chat bubbles on and off client side. So if you don't want to see them, you'd just make sure they are disabled in your game options and would never see a single one. Others could have them turned on and see them for all players that type something in say, yell and emote and aren't on their ignore list. So it wouldn't affect you at all, but would be a great asset to those who really want them or even need them to enjoy their game.
Just saying "no" just because you don't like them even if it wouldn't affect you at all if the option was there just seems incredibly egoistical. There are plenty of people that want them, after all. For many people this is the main reason they aren't playing TOR at the moment and can't be enjoyed at all (just check out the major RP communities if you don't believe me).

That said, back on topic:
Please, Bioware, EA, LucasArts, Disney or whoever else has the power to make it happen give us our chat bubble toggle for Lifeday/X-mas, it would be the greatest present to a great many players!
Add Wookiees as playable species (solution to voice over problem: MT-D Miniaturized Translator Droid!
SUBSCRIPTION WON'T BE RENEWED due to the lasting lack of CHAT BUBBLES and how long-term subcribers are treated by EA/Bioware.

Joduh
11.27.2012 , 03:13 AM | #1017
Yum please.
Emotions are stupid and should be hated.

WhillB
11.28.2012 , 03:36 AM | #1018
I'm not going to read 102 pages so sorry in advance if my opinion has already been covered a million times over:

I have been playing this game for months and have talked to maybe 4 people outside of guild chat. It's just impossible to play and keep an eye on that little box at all times to see if anyone you know is talking. Especially with all the kids barking out BS every second. I do not roll play and have very little interest in doing so. That being said, I do so long to be able to have a conversation with even one other person. I can't even think what it would be like to try and do so with a group.

Please put in the bubbles. Until you can properly comunicate with other people there will never be a community vibe.

Januaria
11.28.2012 , 11:32 AM | #1019
"Please put in the bubbles. Until you can properly communicate with other people there will never be a community vibe."

^^^ What this guy said x 1000. ^^^

Did you notice that during the recent election both Obama and Romney refused to address the issue of Chat Bubbles? None of the debate moderators even brought it up. As a nation, why are we so reluctant to face this issue head on?

WHY???
"In the avalanche of life I'm a special little snowflake."

Skyrison
11.28.2012 , 11:44 AM | #1020
Please, put in chat bubbles. We need them now! This is a roleplaying game. I hate looking in the chatbox all the time to roleplay

You need to do it. I will keep bugging you.
Legacy of the Eternal