Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Harnessed darkness/shadows needs balancing (PVP)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Harnessed darkness/shadows needs balancing (PVP)

Devorasx
04.17.2012 , 01:05 PM | #1
First of all before all rages and gets upset that i don`t know the class, I play an Assassin at a very high pvp level, and I know what the specs are capable off. Note this is a pvp issue as to why im bringing it up.

Harnessed Darkness/Shadows need a tweak. When using this in a 31/10 spec, I as a pvpr really cant see how this talent can be justified for 2 points to give me so much increased damage and health. On top of that the TK-throw/F-Lightning is not interruptable, unless hard countered.

This talent alone ensures assassins/shadows way too much damage output and heals, when in particular geared in dps gear. Even getting 3 stacks is fast and easy. At 3 stacks the channeled ability ticks, if your`e BM geared for 2k, which totals 8k damage, and heals you for 12%. Factor in that the Trash/Double strike procs for PA/Energized, you can heal yourself for 12% every 8-10 secs. if not that`s enough the Whiter/Slow Time effect already makes sure the opponent is slowed and has an accuracy debuff. Oh, discharge/breach and the debuff is 10%.

This folks is far too much, and needs to change as this talent alone makes the class OP as heck. I feel virtually unkillable and makes all other classes look like rubbish, even the OP marauders/sentinels.
So im calling for a balance to this talent. Keep the TK-thow/F-Lightning not interruptable, but either take away the heal benefit or the damage benefit. It really doesnt deserve both when you can add 3 stacks so bloody fast.

Discuss!
TSI -The Spanish Inquisition, cause no one expects it!
Devoras Serenitus (Sith Assassin) Iron Citadel aka The Vanish King
Terix Serenitus (Jedi Sage) Iron Citadel
Armoury

Darth_Acherus
04.17.2012 , 01:14 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Devorasx View Post
First of all before all rages and gets upset that i don`t know the class, I play an Assassin at a very high pvp level, and I know what the specs are capable off. Note this is a pvp issue as to why im bringing it up.

Harnessed Darkness/Shadows need a tweak. When using this in a 31/10 spec, I as a pvpr really cant see how this talent can be justified for 2 points to give me so much increased damage and health. On top of that the TK-throw/F-Lightning is not interruptable, unless hard countered.

This talent alone ensures assassins/shadows way too much damage output and heals, when in particular geared in dps gear. Even getting 3 stacks is fast and easy. At 3 stacks the channeled ability ticks, if your`e BM geared for 2k, which totals 8k damage, and heals you for 12%. Factor in that the Trash/Double strike procs for PA/Energized, you can heal yourself for 12% every 8-10 secs. if not that`s enough the Whiter/Slow Time effect already makes sure the opponent is slowed and has an accuracy debuff. Oh, discharge/breach and the debuff is 10%.

This folks is far too much, and needs to change as this talent alone makes the class OP as heck. I feel virtually unkillable and makes all other classes look like rubbish, even the OP marauders/sentinels.
So im calling for a balance to this talent. Keep the TK-thow/F-Lightning not interruptable, but either take away the heal benefit or the damage benefit. It really doesnt deserve both when you can add 3 stacks so bloody fast.

Discuss!
Only time I have seen 2k crits recently is on really undergeared sorc's.

It averages around 1500-1600.
Jung Ma - Nariell 50 Sentinel <Alpha Company>
Jung Ma - Alosa 50 Commando <Alpha Company> (Retired)

Devorasx
04.17.2012 , 01:16 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Acherus View Post
Only time I have seen 2k crits recently is on really undergeared sorc's.

It averages around 1500-1600.
Check Shins Shadow videos and see how much she TK-throws for. But ive seen too much in the 2k region of late, and its really laughable and sad. As FULL tank specced we shouldnt be dishing out THAT much damage.
Armoury

olagaton
04.17.2012 , 01:18 PM | #4
so tank spec makes you hard to kill? wow! i'm impressed

what is "that" kind of damage? FL isn't burst damage, and it's interruptable, so it's ok the way it is.

btw, damage is constant by any class, if the class stays alive.

300k damage isn't the same for all classes. Sure the total is the same, but the method in which they reached that amount can be completely different (burst or sustained), which can absolutely make a difference depending on the fighting being done.

Darth_Acherus
04.17.2012 , 01:19 PM | #5
Check Shins Shadow videos and see how much she TK-throws for. But ive seen too much in the 2k region of late, and its really laughable and sad. As FULL tank specced we shouldnt be dishing out THAT much damage.
You must be fighting a lot of undergeared people then. :P

On my server almost everyone is BM geared.
Jung Ma - Nariell 50 Sentinel <Alpha Company>
Jung Ma - Alosa 50 Commando <Alpha Company> (Retired)

unixbomber
04.17.2012 , 01:23 PM | #6
I've seen a lot of players lately still opting to use power / surge mods, etc instead of expertise gear and as a result hit them a lot harder than I probably should. The harnessed darkness buff isn't hard to spot if you know what to look for and is fairly gimmicky, I plan a knockback or stun ahead of time and rarely have issues.

Devorasx
04.17.2012 , 01:24 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by olagaton View Post
so tank spec makes you hard to kill? wow! i'm impressed
Thats not the point. As a tank spec yes, your`e suppose to be hard to kill. But how does one justify a 2 point talent that gives you an insane survival through heals, and on top of that far too much damage in the process? In total the talent tree itself should justify the survival as a tank, and certainly not a single talent alone which most 31/10 is built around.
Armoury

Devorasx
04.17.2012 , 01:25 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Acherus View Post
You must be fighting a lot of undergeared people then. :P

On my server almost everyone is BM geared.
Not just, but when you are stacking LOTS of power and willpower, getting 2k pr tick isnt hard at all. Add the expertise changes it makes it even easier.
Armoury

Devorasx
04.17.2012 , 01:27 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by unixbomber View Post
I've seen a lot of players lately still opting to use power / surge mods, etc instead of expertise gear and as a result hit them a lot harder than I probably should. The harnessed darkness buff isn't hard to spot if you know what to look for and is fairly gimmicky, I plan a knockback or stun ahead of time and rarely have issues.
Let me quote Astarica from the assassin forum section:

"Stun is silly as a counter because it stops every abilty in the game so saying that something that can counter everything works on FL doesn't mean much.

KB is actually pretty useless against FLs if you know your positioning. You use the time building up HD stacks to get distance versus melee so they can't blind/KB you, and ranged classes will not just purposely walk up to you in melee range to KB. The most likely way FL gets interrupted is by a drive-by blind/KB from someone else you didn't see, but that's just the nature of AE CCs. If you have to fill someone's resolve to deal with an ability that can be used every 6 seconds, you're going to run into trouble sooner or later. Besides, you can always Force Shroud "
Armoury

Hethroin
04.17.2012 , 01:30 PM | #10
Hitting someone for 6k total in the span of 3 seconds is not amazing damage. It is even less amazing when you consider how long the shadow waits before they can do it again. The DPS of the tank spec is fine.

The reason why you think you live so long is due to your opponents' decision to not kill you till last. Which was logically derived when the threat assessment of your group placed you dead last, tied with the tank-spec PT. They just assumed that the problem would correct itself when you decided to guard someone squishy and/or stupid.
Corellian Run formerly Mind Trick
<White Talons>: Tigerwoods - Vanguard, Limbaugh - Sentinel
<Black Talons>: Ereldys - Assassin