Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How do you rp?

Tfranco
04.16.2012 , 12:42 PM | #1
I'm being genuine here. I am interested in trying out rping. I know you use ooc to show your talking out of character but I'm still stuck in the how to do it part. Like talk like my class? Or what? Not sure how to go about it.

DaWaffle
04.16.2012 , 01:47 PM | #2
It's quite simple really. Think up an original character. Then say and do stuff your character would say and do.

Also, remember. Your character is not your character from your class story.

veramillion
04.16.2012 , 01:47 PM | #3
I would write a brief history. Where you came from. what likes/dislikes. what life irony placed you where you are now.

From that point you can add things from the starter world at least to help flesh out a story line.

as for speaking like your class..... Trooper= marine(any war movie really) Jedi (Luke Skywalker learning about the force. Imperial Agent= high ranking officer. Sith=angry all the time wishing to hurt others who dont bow to your will.

Just use things that match up in real life as a pattern to in game class.

When you have somewhere to start you have somewhere to go. the more you RP the more of yourself you put into it.

I play my Bounty Hunter (as of now) more like Indiana Jones. Laugh at danger. willing to chase anything down man or beast for the thrill of the hunt and the little golden statue. Thats just my personality.

Sometimes you just need to stop thinking so much and just jump in!

This is my op and how I go about it.

My toon is Krysun BH on Sanctum of the Exalted and I play fri & sat nights 10-2am est. pst me if you want to rp a bit or just chat.

Good Luck!
“Those who live by the saber are usually shot by those of us who don’t”
“A gun never kills anybody; it’s a tool in the killer’s hand.” ~ Krysun
~~Krysun- BH - Sancutum of the Exalted~~
http://orcaguild.enjin.com/forum/m/2...986-bio-krysun

Darth_Solrac
04.16.2012 , 01:58 PM | #4
Intricately, awesomely.
Nobody expects the Sith Inquisition!
Guild: Imperial Army.
Darth (Markos) Solrac: LV 50, Dark Sith Sorcerer.
Draykos Solrac: LV 29, Dark grey Jedi Guardian.

CosmicKat
04.16.2012 , 02:53 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Tfranco View Post
I'm being genuine here. I am interested in trying out rping. I know you use ooc to show your talking out of character but I'm still stuck in the how to do it part. Like talk like my class? Or what? Not sure how to go about it.
The easiest way I can think of to 'learn' how to RP is:

Step 1 - Pick a favorite character from a book, movie, TV show, etc. Example: Gandalf.

Step 2 - Change up that character to not be obviously who their influence is, and to fit the world you are playing in. Example: Gandalf as a wise old Jedi Sage.

Step 3 - Improvise. Don't worry about your background so much, make it up as you go. Example: Simple. Brush off questions about your background, or just be very vague in your responses.

You are picking a character you know well enough to imagine in a SW world, not so much an actual copy of that character. The character you end up creating may only be 10% Gandalf at the end, but it is a good tool to use that can help you visualize the character better. You aren't playing Gandalf the Jedi, you are playing a guy pretty much like what Gandalf would be if he were a Star Wars character. Oh, and don't call him Obi-Wan, someone took that already.

Malles
04.18.2012 , 04:23 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Tfranco View Post
My first roleplaying character was pretty much how I would imagine myself with a Jamaican accent. A later one I made was given my sister's personality. Roleplaying is exactly like acting, only you set your own role and play your own director.
I used simple happy language words to help you understand.
Why yes, I have been a proud SWTOR Community member since August 2011. Why, wanna fight about it?

SelinaH
04.18.2012 , 05:02 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Malles View Post
Roleplaying is exactly like acting, only you set your own role and play your own director.
Pretty much this. Except other people also have their own roles and their own directors. For me, it's the improvisational collaboration among players, each with their own unique character, that's the most fun.

Darth_Slaine
04.18.2012 , 11:15 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by SelinaH View Post
Pretty much this. Except other people also have their own roles and their own directors. For me, it's the improvisational collaboration among players, each with their own unique character, that's the most fun.
SelinaH is wise. Collaboration is key.

jimmybrickster
04.18.2012 , 11:20 PM | #9
Lol this all reminds me of back in my youth when i use to take part in LARP (live action role play) we would do the same think up a character then buy stupidly expensive armour and rubber foam weapons i.e swords sheilds axes spears bows and arrows and run around in forests completing quests and stuff.

Kirameki
04.19.2012 , 01:58 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by jimmybrickster View Post
Lol this all reminds me of back in my youth when i use to take part in LARP (live action role play) we would do the same think up a character then buy stupidly expensive armour and rubber foam weapons i.e swords sheilds axes spears bows and arrows and run around in forests completing quests and stuff.

I did the same but in a VTM setting (Vampire the Masquarade). We rented a whole party centrum for that. However we did have a Storyteller around who made the setting and we LARPED with our characters in that setting.

SWTOR online s pretty much the same for me. TOR is the Storyteller (when I'm solo) and the Guild leader is Storyteller in Guild RP and I play my character fitting in that story. (note as someone else pointed out, I dont use class stories when RP-ing solo)

Best is to look into some lore of the TOR era and come up with a character fitting in that lore setting. (I kinda hate when someone RP's something in a TOR era that happens few 1000 years later, the same way I dislike people walking around with names as Han Solo, Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader in this game)..
"Why you stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking nerf-herder!"
Referral linkfor you to get goodies.
Twitter | Raptr | Tumblr