Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Raid-Wide Combat Logs, Ask Mr. Robot

Zoopercat
04.16.2012 , 03:42 AM | #1
Hey all, I grouped up all of the combat parsers here. But I wanted to start one for the parser we made, specifically for feedback and testing purposes.

Ask Mr. Robot's Raid-Wide Combat Log Parsing

Features:
  • No login required (but if you want to login, Mr. Robot keeps a list of all reports you've made so you can find them again)
  • Merge raid-logs automatically. Each person can upload their own and the merge still works. Or a raid leader can upload them all at once.
  • Search for logs by server & guild, look up anyone who has the logs uploaded
  • Damage and healing reports & share any report view with friends!
  • Reports with 'other effects' used, like potions, buffs and debuffs
  • Rankings are coming soon, so get your logs up now to be added to the top DPS / HPS lists
  • Watch the short video tour!

Sample reports (from a Red Reaper run)

The technical details behind 'smart-merging':

We're beta-testing 'smart merging' of logs. You don't need a raid ID or anything else, you just have to upload your log. Each person can upload their own, or if someone has all of them they can just upload them all at once. Either way works. Here's mini-guide on the log uploading process.

If the logs are uploaded individually, Mr. Robot will search for related logs based on a few parameters, like your server, time zone, and the FP/OP you raided. We applied a few robo-smarts to this, but this likely will need improvement. We might have the 'idiot proofing' parameters tuned too tight or too loose.

I have a post all about merging technicalities here, for those who like to geek out. If you run into ANY merging problems, let me know. We are investigating each one, and using that information to fine-tune our merging logic.

Update on 4/30: Added new features, including a guild-search, log management (edit and delete), improved merging logic, and updated fight logic for some specific fights like zorn & toth. Some of these features will only apply to new logs, not retroactively to old logs.
ASK MR. ROBOT

Zoopercat
04.16.2012 , 12:34 PM | #2
We're spending the entire day brainstorming more options for merging. If anyone has feature requests, or any problems they've seen, let us know. We'll add it to the list.

For example, we might try to offer more control over the files that get merged if someone is logged in, because then we can set permissions on the files. Otherwise, if someone is not logged in, how do you know if they should be able to delete a file?

But we want to balance this with enough quality features for users who don't make accounts... it just gets tricky with merging 'permissions.'
ASK MR. ROBOT

pure_laced
04.16.2012 , 12:46 PM | #3
Now this looks amazing!
Cali Killed Nox
Genshen 50: Powertech | Guardian | Assassin | Sniper | Sage
Guild Website | Stream | Twitter

Caladax
04.16.2012 , 12:49 PM | #4
Used this yesterday, was pretty neat. When I uploaded, the merge showed me three other guildies' reports from the op, including the other healer.

I had some difficulty at first, with a silverlight error. Tried updating, but no luck. I was logged into the game still, so maybe the combat log file was still in use, or maybe something else. Anyways, later on, it worked fine.

I tried to look up our log from last night, but couldn't find it with either my character name, or our guild name, so I figured maybe registering would be a good idea, however, when I clicked on the privacy policy, and the terms of use, it said "mr robot could not find the page you're looking for".

Wugan
04.16.2012 , 12:55 PM | #5
This indeed does look amazing, and these guys are trying really hard to make merging work. Unfortunately, it is just a huge pain to actually get all those different time stamps from different time zones to match up. I can never get logs for more than a couple players entered before phantom fights start showing up and things no longer line up. Once that happens, all kinds of weird numbers start appearing and I have to just upload the logs somewhere else to see what is happening individually.

Actual raid-wide logs from Bioware would be so much simpler, and allow the fine folks at sites like these to spend their time making their parsers better, not fighting against multiple combat logs with competing time stamps. The amount of time I had to spend last night compiling information for just ONE PULL of our 16 player hard mode attempts was amazing. It took about 3 hours to gather all the damage, healing, and damage taken data from one pull for 15 players and turn it into something mildly useful with my own spreadsheet.

With raid wide logs, I would have all that information almost instantly.
A home for busy adults seeking high level PvE in a respectful, mature atmosphere.
Wugan --- Sage

thorizdin
04.16.2012 , 01:19 PM | #6
Some reports sorted by threat (or just allow column sorting on the damage report) would be nice for tanks.

Zoopercat
04.16.2012 , 02:06 PM | #7
Caladex, you say Mr. Robot found 3 other guildie's logs in your first sentence. Are you saying it did it right, or wrong? (Sorry, I haven't had enough coffee today and my reading comprehension might be suffering)

Regarding uploading while the game is open, yeah that doesn't work because the file is 'in use.' Kind of annoying, but I don't think there is a way around that. As a side note, the reason that silverlight is nice is we can process the log on your computer then upload the parsed log to our servers. That saves on a LOT of processing, which keeps our costs low. That's nice because we can keep an entire history of logs, and not wipe them every month or so.

When you 'looked' for a log, where you using the character search box on our site? That box is only looking up characters for the character builder, not for logs (yet!). Do a search for 'zoopercat' - you'll see what shows up. If you are logged in when you upload a log, you'll see a list of all the logs. If you aren't logged in, you have to bookmark it. There's one more workaround if you're desparate (i've been there), you can type swtor.askmrrobot.com/combatlog/ into the browser bar, and hope the history is there (see picture).

Regarding logging in: I just tried registering and it works. Does this happen repeatedly for you? If so, what browser and version are you using? I'll check it out.

Wugan - he's totally right, things get complicated with trying to match up logs often due to time differences on people's computers. We all need 007 synchronized watches... OR raid-wide logging from BW

Thorizdin: Can you give a specific scenario you want to see? That will help us spec the feature out right!
ASK MR. ROBOT

Caladax
04.16.2012 , 02:30 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoopercat View Post
Caladex, you say Mr. Robot found 3 other guildie's logs in your first sentence. Are you saying it did it right, or wrong? (Sorry, I haven't had enough coffee today and my reading comprehension might be suffering)
It looked right to me. Nothing seemed in error, and the fights didn't seem weird. I was a little worried because they're all pst, and I'm est (and I selected est without thinking), but it seemed to work out.

Quote:
When you 'looked' for a log, where you using the character search box on our site? That box is only looking up characters for the character builder, not for logs (yet!). Do a search for 'zoopercat' - you'll see what shows up. If you are logged in when you upload a log, you'll see a list of all the logs. If you aren't logged in, you have to bookmark it. There's one more workaround if you're desparate (i've been there), you can type swtor.askmrrobot.com/combatlog/ into the browser bar, and hope the history is there (see picture).
Aye, the browser history had the combat log, ty.

Quote:
Regarding logging in: I just tried registering and it works. Does this happen repeatedly for you? If so, what browser and version are you using? I'll check it out.
Registering didn't fail (I didn't try yet), it was clicking on the privacy policy and terms of use that went to an error page. I'm using firefox 11.0, and had adblock and noscript disabled.

Zoopercat
04.16.2012 , 03:32 PM | #9
Hmm, that's odd, the privacy policy and terms of use load ok from my machine, chrome FF and IE. I'll look into it. In the meantime, if you want a copy of them I can email you (just PM me your email).
ASK MR. ROBOT

thorizdin
04.16.2012 , 04:21 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoopercat View Post

Thorizdin: Can you give a specific scenario you want to see? That will help us spec the feature out right!
A user should able to see a report based on threat per ability similar to the current Damage Dealt. Other reports that would be good for tanks are mitigation and their source, for example Sonic Barrier provides Juggernauts with a 850 point damage absorption shield. If you look at the logs I uploaded for our last HM EV/KP run you can see that I had the Sonic Barrier effect applied 285 times but I can't tell how much damage was actually absorbed and how many of those shields were "wasted".

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/combatlo...652fddc78e#d=4

A threat over time comparison for all members of a raid would also be extremely helpful so we can see who, and why, is approaching the top of the threat table. This could even be done in the form of a color coded line graph showing the relative threat level of all the members of the raid.