Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Remove the rakghoul plague now


Erimi's Avatar


Erimi
04.15.2012 , 11:11 PM | #481
Quote: Originally Posted by ferroz View Post
THat's because they're the griefers not the griefees.

It's cut and dry.

No, I've got it correct, that's why I was correcting you.

Deliberately harassing someone is griefing but griefing someone may or may not be not be deliberately harassing them.
It's not cut and dry. You're being pretty arrogant about this though, thinking your opinion is fact. And I haven't blown up anyone that didn't want the debuff, so I'm not even a griefer by your terms.

If it's not the act of me trying to deliberatly ruin your gameplay it's not griefing. That is the whole point of my argument. The term griefing rose from gaming culture to describe the act of deliberately trying to ruin another persons gameplay. If I'm griefing you, I'm intentionally trying to ruin your fun in the game for my enjoyment. Look up griefing on google. Every definition that comes up is about intentionally trying to ruin another persons gameplay.

ferroz's Avatar


ferroz
04.15.2012 , 11:15 PM | #482
Quote: Originally Posted by Revanmug View Post
You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.
It does.

Quote:
First, a quest was done by Bioware to actually infect 10 other people.
Yes, that's the main part of the complaint: that bioware has put in mechanics that allow and in fact encourage players to grief one another.

Quote:
For some reason, this plague seems to have an awful effect on the player! Those same people are unable to describle how it is "disrupting my gameplay"
Actually, people have mentioned specific things about how it disrupts their gameplay.

Quote:
Buy a vaccin and afk the fleet for 6h...
actually, it doesn't persist through death so it needs to be bought again after pretty much every warzone.

Quote:
Seriously, just stop. Bioware's quest disagree with you and they even give you the option of simply ignoring this event.
citation needed.

right now there's evidence of bioware's negligence in the matter, not that they agree or disagree.

Erimi's Avatar


Erimi
04.15.2012 , 11:16 PM | #483
Quote: Originally Posted by ferroz View Post
It does.
actually, it doesn't persist through death so it needs to be bought again after pretty much every warzone.
This I think is the big mistake. It should persist through death.

ferroz's Avatar


ferroz
04.15.2012 , 11:19 PM | #484
Quote: Originally Posted by Erimi View Post
This I think is the big mistake. It should persist through death.
it's one of them, right after allowing people to infect people who don't want to be infected...

Quote: Originally Posted by Erimi View Post
If it's not the act of me trying to deliberatly ruin your gameplay it's not griefing.
No, if you're doing it through negligence that's also griefing.

Skolops's Avatar


Skolops
04.15.2012 , 11:21 PM | #485
Quote: Originally Posted by Revanmug View Post
You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

First, a quest was done by Bioware to actually infect 10 other people. The reason is probably to affect as much people as possible and give "life" to the world.
Right away, your definition of "grief" doesn't fit with Bioware. Since they are the makers of this game, their rules is all that mather. Not yours.
Just because the idea the instituted has resulted in certain things happening, doesn't mean BW intended that. They may just as easily have not thought things though, and given some of what's going on, I'm quite certain this is the case. I highly doubt they intended newbies on Korriban or Ord Mantell to have to encouter and deal with this plague, get confused while they're trying to learn the game, and so on, for instance. Fairly certain they simply didn't think things through.

Quote:
For some reason, this plague seems to have an awful effect on the player! Those same people are unable to describle how it is "disrupting my gameplay" but no mather! You can't accept the idea of a little special effect on your player... Well, Bioware got your back!
This is simply not true. People have explained repeatedly how it is disrupting gameplay, and you simply choose not to acknowledge it. Allow me to enumerate the problems again:

1) Any kind of gameplay which requires precise execution, such as PvP warzones and endgame PvE, is disrupted. No doubt turrets have been capped on Alderaan all because someone's plague flared up at just the wrong time.

2) Players are not participating in the other aspects of the game at the same rate as before. The economy and endgame content has all taken a participation hit.

3) Some players, believe it or not, care about there appearance and do not want to look like they are infected. If someone cares enough to spend several million credits swapping mods into orange gear, they may very well not want that nice looking outfit to be covered in sludge, even for a small period of time - much less the month some are suggesting this may last.

4) Players are, in many cases, just generally standing on the fleet doing nothing and not contributing to the game world in any way whatsoever.

5) Low level players on Tatooine are in many cases not able to complete their quests there due to the sudden influx of, at times, over 50 of the opposing faction's level 50 players. FOR THESE PLAYERS, THE ENTIRE GAME HAS BEEN PUT INDEFINITELY ON HOLD UNTIL THINGS CHANGE..

Quote:
Buy a vaccin and afk the fleet for 6h... Your vaccin is down after your afk fest and you got infect! Oh noes! You only got 20 min to buy another one for an amazingly high price of 2k and return to your unique festival!

Seriously, just stop. Bioware's quest disagree with you and they even give you the option of simply ignoring this event.

To the other people complaining that they don't want to be involve with this... I just can't understand. Bioware gave you the option with the vaccin. It is a very low cost item with a very high duration. It is sold everywhere too! If you don't want to take that option, that's your own problem and not Bioware or our problem.
In fact, any time you die you lose immunity, and if you are out trying to actually PLAY THE GAME, instead of the new fun that is standing on fleet, then you will die often enough that this becomes a problem.

Erimi's Avatar


Erimi
04.15.2012 , 11:21 PM | #486
Quote: Originally Posted by ferroz View Post
it's one of them, right after allowing people to infect people who don't want to be infected...

No, if you're doing it through negligence that's also griefing.
No, you're changing the meaning of griefing at the point. Griefing is 100% about the mentality of the player doing the action.

ShavedEwok's Avatar


ShavedEwok
04.15.2012 , 11:22 PM | #487
Just followed this new storyline and completed the missions.

For what it's worth, I love it.

BioWare use the concept of the rakghoul plague in a great way for this event.

From the announcements at the fleet, the newscasts and the actual infecting of players, I'm really enjoying it as it adds a lot of "life" to the universe.

To those that don't like it: It's an event which means the plague will most likely be around for a limited time. Also, there are ways to avoid it and there's a vaccine.

While I can appreciate some might have a problem with this, for all we know it might just be for a week or so, and then everything will be back to normal. At any rate, I think it's far too early to start complaining about it just yet.

Anyway, this event gets a big thumbs up from me...so thank you BioWare!

SE
80% less stupid

Skolops's Avatar


Skolops
04.15.2012 , 11:22 PM | #488
Quote: Originally Posted by Erimi View Post
No, you're changing the meaning of griefing at the point. Griefing is 100% about the mentality of the player doing the action.
I must agree with this. I think, in fact, all the discussions of griefing in this topic have really missed this key point of definition. If there is intention behind it, it is griefing.

va_wanderer's Avatar


va_wanderer
04.15.2012 , 11:24 PM | #489
Quote: Originally Posted by ferroz View Post
It does.

Yes, that's the main part of the complaint: that bioware has put in mechanics that allow and in fact encourage players to grief one another.

right now there's evidence of bioware's negligence in the matter, not that they agree or disagree.
At this point, if it encourages NO FUN ALLOWED players to go elsewhere, I think the number of players attracted by events like this will be a net gain.

It's not even negligence. It's Bioware making an event and you going STOP TOUCHING ME!

In any case, I've had fun tonight and hope we'll see more events like this. Games that leave safe zones 100% safe get boring in a hurry.
Help unify PvP and PvE content- PvP+E! http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=298731

halloandbill's Avatar


halloandbill
04.15.2012 , 11:24 PM | #490
Quote: Originally Posted by Skolops View Post
Ultimately, the majority of people want events that they can choose to participate in, but which they are not forced to.
Source that claim please, otherwise don't claim that a "majority" of people want anything. If anything about the history of these forums tells us that when people are upset we see multiple threads constantly popping up complaining about an issue (because looking at the top few threads is hard apparently) instead of one mostly thread that is mostly positive about said issue or event.

The tone around here has actually been pretty positive today which is incredibility odd for this forum. The only thing that I've seen constant new threads on in relation to this event is the whole green/black crystal thing. Not the infecting thing. At least from the anecdotal evidence of threads on the event I think you are wrong about the amount of people that are upset by this alleged "griefing".