Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Nerf Denova?


Raeln's Avatar


Raeln
04.24.2012 , 07:43 AM | #241
Quote: Originally Posted by backburner View Post
im a sorc and i can keep up. go get more rakata gear then go. this is tier 2 gearing, We like the challenge
So your answer is to go get more of the same gear that the bosses he wants to kill drop?

What, at that point, is the carrot on the end of the stick to draw him toward completing EC on storymode? You said he needs all the same gear that drops (excluding the handful of BH commendations that drop). So after he clears EC one time to finish the storymode quest - what reason is there for him to run EC storymode again besides just for BH commendations?

Freeborne's Avatar


Freeborne
04.24.2012 , 07:43 AM | #242
Quote: Originally Posted by backburner View Post
im a sorc and i can keep up. go get more rakata gear then go. this is tier 2 gearing, We like the challenge
I agree with this statement, (because I like the challenge) but it's also what bugs me.

Explosive Conflict (story mode) requires rakata (ideally at least half of your gear being rakata), but drops rakata, or coms for rakata equivalent pieces.

There's no Carrot. Story mode just feels like something that's there to train you for HM so you can actually get upgrades.
The Ebon Hawk: 50 Commando, Shep'ard. 50 Guardian, Asha'man
Want a global LFG channel? Type "/cjoin LFG" on your server and get others to do the same!

Raeln's Avatar


Raeln
04.24.2012 , 07:46 AM | #243
Quote: Originally Posted by backburner View Post
Storymode is on par with NM KP/EV It is ment to be the next step. no free comms
Are you insinuating that people should be forced to clear nightmare mode EV/KP before attempting storymode EC?

Freeborne's Avatar


Freeborne
04.24.2012 , 07:50 AM | #244
Quote: Originally Posted by Raeln View Post
Are you insinuating that people should be forced to clear nightmare mode EV/KP before attempting storymode EC?
Forced?

I wouldn't say forced. I would say say though that 4/5 in EV HM, and 4/5 KP HM can be done in your sleep. (Soa and Fabricator being the only remotely difficult challenges.)

Aside from Soa and his RNG Buggy nature, I'd consider the rest of it easier to do than Story Mode EC.
The Ebon Hawk: 50 Commando, Shep'ard. 50 Guardian, Asha'man
Want a global LFG channel? Type "/cjoin LFG" on your server and get others to do the same!

backburner's Avatar


backburner
04.24.2012 , 07:53 AM | #245
Quote: Originally Posted by Freeborne View Post
Forced?

I wouldn't say forced. I would say say though that 4/5 in EV HM, and 4/5 KP HM can be done in your sleep. (Soa and Fabricator being the only remotely difficult challenges.)

Aside from Soa and his RNG Buggy nature, I'd consider the rest of it easier to do than Story Mode EC.

exactly, Denova is made for the raiders who spent the time gearing up for the past 2 months. You cant be a fresh 50 and jump in. You also need raid awareness. We have cleared denova twice within a 3 hour period on normal. and spent about 2 hours wiping on the first boss in HM (I wasnt there so not sure why) but if i could just run into Denova and beat it first try why would i resubscribe to a game for months?

Raeln's Avatar


Raeln
04.24.2012 , 08:04 AM | #246
Quote: Originally Posted by Freeborne View Post
Forced?

I wouldn't say forced. I would say say though that 4/5 in EV HM, and 4/5 KP HM can be done in your sleep. (Soa and Fabricator being the only remotely difficult challenges.)

Aside from Soa and his RNG Buggy nature, I'd consider the rest of it easier to do than Story Mode EC.
It doesn't matter if you consider it easier or not.

Are you saying that in order to follow the storymode progression path, you must switch to the hardmode path first?

In other words, are you saying that EC is not intended to be cleared with Columi geared raiders? (which is the gear awarded by storymode EV/KP.)

Raeln's Avatar


Raeln
04.24.2012 , 08:08 AM | #247
Quote: Originally Posted by backburner View Post
exactly, Denova is made for the raiders who spent the time gearing up for the past 2 months. You cant be a fresh 50 and jump in. You also need raid awareness. We have cleared denova twice within a 3 hour period on normal. and spent about 2 hours wiping on the first boss in HM (I wasnt there so not sure why) but if i could just run into Denova and beat it first try why would i resubscribe to a game for months?
I don't know, because you don't win all the gear you need from the first lockout? Well, not unless you are a smuggler in our ops group, anyway.

We're talking storymode here. It's been out for a week now and you've cleared it twice? Interesting.

backburner's Avatar


backburner
04.24.2012 , 08:14 AM | #248
Quote: Originally Posted by Raeln View Post
I don't know, because you don't win all the gear you need from the first lockout? Well, not unless you are a smuggler in our ops group, anyway.

We're talking storymode here. It's been out for a week now and you've cleared it twice? Interesting.
it hit on a Thursday. resets Tuesdays
its been out for 1.5 weeks now.

and I feel the same way about gear we have a sniper who gets it all. But yes you need to progress. MMO's are a progression game were you spend the time to get the rewards, and most MMO PVE players enjoy a challenge even in storymode. If you played another MMO you would know about countless wiping rinse and repeating.

Raeln's Avatar


Raeln
04.24.2012 , 08:26 AM | #249
Quote: Originally Posted by backburner View Post
it hit on a Thursday. resets Tuesdays
its been out for 1.5 weeks now.

and I feel the same way about gear we have a sniper who gets it all. But yes you need to progress. MMO's are a progression game were you spend the time to get the rewards, and most MMO PVE players enjoy a challenge even in storymode. If you played another MMO you would know about countless wiping rinse and repeating.
I disagree that most MMO PvE players even desire a challenge in storymode at all. When you leave the small circle of hardcore players, you begin to dive through a very large segment of the playerbase that is more concerned with just having things to do with friends than they are about how difficult those things are to do.

Note: I'm not saying that every storymode boss needs to be a tank n' spank faceroll. I'm not. I can tell you though, Bioware is not going to see 38% of level 50 players hitting up each new storymode raid if they stay with how storymode EC is right now.

My current guestimate is that by the time 1.3 hits, Bioware will be lucky if 40% of EV/KP raider population finishes EC storymode - just my opinion.

alifaraaz's Avatar


alifaraaz
04.24.2012 , 08:32 AM | #250
Frankly this thread needs to die. No dev has responded to say 'were gonna nerf it' or 'were gonna leave it as it is.'
There have been many great points people have made to consider, but as stated EVERYONE cannot be satisfied, and finding said middle ground is difficult.

After a lot of.thought, Story EC needs nerf. I would probably leave 3rd boss as he is, and maybe reduce damage from aoe in last boss, but 1st and 2nd need nerf.

It doesn't just.need to be do able, it needs to.be easy. Unfortunately this will lead to amassive gap between story and hm, but that's life. People need to understand that Story shouldn't even entertain remotely hardcore guilds. It should be designed for pugs and super bad (i refuse to say casual = bad, because its not) guilds.

And hm and nightmare will be the 2 progression difficulties.

Yes there are downsides to this, but its the only rational way to please the majority. Because bad players or lazy players as they're called refuse to become better, they just wanna have fun without the challenge. like Simnd farmville
I don't mean to insult anyone, just fed up of reading this stuff a million times.

This is the only reasonable method where everyone can raid, and hardcore progression still exists. While also keeping the devs focused on creating high quality ops for us.
And yes this is coming from a semi hardcore raider who used to be hardcore in woW, and due to well lack of time and lack of hardcore guilds on server.
Kazar - Powertech, [Tomb of Freedom Nadd EU]