Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Rakghoul Plague

Guildrum
04.16.2012 , 09:37 PM | #11
New strain. Old vaccine doesn't work. Explanation for needing to spend 2k on a vaccine.

Just enjoy the event and stop whining about it. Really...
The Shaffer Legacy: Begeren Colony

Shaffer Lazy-eye Horace Sleth
Journalist, Pirate Bodyguard Sith

Likewater
04.16.2012 , 09:37 PM | #12
Lore wise, did anyone read the Rakgoul story arch in Darkhorse's "vector"

The raks are a creation of the Muur Talisman, a sith....well not true, A Pre-sith Jedi cast out after the 2nd(?) great schism. they guys who would invade korriban and become the genisis of the sith cult.

So how did this Doctor weaponise it?

GhostNato
04.16.2012 , 09:52 PM | #13
its fun infecting people

kinda reminds me of the undead invasion in WoW just before Lich King. people used to die pretty often there ha ha

KidRaid
04.17.2012 , 10:14 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by GhostNato View Post
its fun infecting people

kinda reminds me of the undead invasion in WoW just before Lich King. people used to die pretty often there ha ha
You might find it fun. I do not.

Not a question of money, I have plenty, not a question of the effect itself. To me ot just feels like encouraging morons to annoy ( grief ) other player who did not want to be included in this dumb idea.

I feels like an event that was conceived around a couple of beer with no though of how it would impact those who find no humor in spreading diseases around. Even fake virtual disease.

I would have been fine if the only way you could get infected was to go to tatoine . Then I would have been ok simply ignoring Tatoine until it was over. This "feels" like non-concensual PvP.

Sorry I really do not like this event.

Phyreblade
04.17.2012 , 11:56 AM | #15
Oh bother.

I myself visited the "Kaon Under Siege" flashpoint many times over, so I had plenty of hints that some nutty professor wannabe had used the Rhakghoul virus to create a new strain of the plague, that he then planned on distributing through the galaxy. He tricked a little smuggler girl into carrying it to Kaon, in fact, where it was quick to spread through the local populace. Most of my Imperial buddies have a good time tossing that girl over a railing to her death, in fact.

Your complaints about the storyline are moot, imo. It's certainly well within the storyline of a fantasy-based science-fiction tale that a mad scientist could be playing around with germs. Heck, it happens in real life, too, right?

FWIW, it's always fascinating, to me, how players react to these sorts of events in MMOs. I've seen them play out before in other games, anyway. There're, of course, the griefers, who seem to delight in spreading the plague far and wide. Should've seen the ZG-virus-thing way back when, when Zul'Gurub first opened in WOW. There were some lowbies who utterly avoided well-populated areas, out of fear of virtually instantaneous death, complete with supposed blood bursts. Believe it or not, real scientific research has been done on such virtual plagues: read this. Kinda makes me wonder how many researchers are watching us run around Tattoine hunting down infected Sand People and quarantine-fleeing refugees, hehe.

At least Bioware has provided some boon to the death this plague brings. Die enough times and you win a prize, lol.
"Why can't things be easy? Just once!"
-- Gaibriel, Sawbones Scoundrel on the Shadowlands Server

KidRaid
04.17.2012 , 01:28 PM | #16
Thank you for this link to the corrupted blood incident. Not being a WOW player I was not aware of that story and found it very interesting.

I remain not amused by the current event but at least it was interesting reading.

Phyreblade
04.17.2012 , 02:26 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by KidRaid View Post
Thank you for this link to the corrupted blood incident. Not being a WOW player I was not aware of that story and found it very interesting.

I remain not amused by the current event but at least it was interesting reading.
Such world events will not appeal to every player, no. I find them fascinating, though, and enjoy the different and varied reactions they inspire, in my own gameplay and in the community as a whole, too. But then again...I studied history and anthropology in college, so I tend towards such considerations of group dynamics, regardless.
"Why can't things be easy? Just once!"
-- Gaibriel, Sawbones Scoundrel on the Shadowlands Server