Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Assassin vs Powertech

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Assassin vs Powertech

Dabrixmgp
04.16.2012 , 05:58 AM | #11
Think Im gonna go with an assassin. Seems like all tanks play the same. Use a few abilities drop cooldowns when **** hits the fan. Although I dont like the fact that Assassins dont get their healer companion until very far into the game (high 30s from what i read). I mean seems kind of useless because all classes should get their healer companion as their first one to help with leveling. Do I just use Khem Val to level with like I did my sorcerer?

jbuschell
04.16.2012 , 06:20 AM | #12
Use khem Untill you get andronikus, I always find it better when leveling a tank its better to roll with a dps on normal quests, once you get champ move and heroic quests pull out the heals
E-Thuggin since 1987

theangryllama
04.16.2012 , 07:05 AM | #13
Assassins : Static regenerating resource.. priority based system of large amounts of buffs/debuffs to maintain and watch (wither, harnessed darkness, overcharge saber, dark ward, energize, discharge, recklessness). Middle of the road for both shield chance and defense with most of its shield chance being tied to dark ward which as a previous poster mentioned suffers when being hit by multiple attacks

Juggernauts : Player controlled resource generation with attacks generating and costing rage. Highest defense of all tank classes and largest cooldowns. Because of the focus on defense bad RNG streaks can and will happen (which is where those big cooldowns come into play) and the fact that you have to generate your resource before you can spend it makes it difficult to change up mid rotation.

Powertechs : No fancy tools, worst cooldowns of all 3 tanks, highest raw damage reduction (heavy armor, 16% additional armor and talents/debuffs to reduce damage by a further 13%) and shielding (not based on charges as an assassins) makes powertechs have the smoothest damage intake. The heat system is the only thing that really needs to be watched and kept below a certain point to maintain maximum regen while at the same time allows burst to be used when needed with cooldowns available to vent heat. Also has the ability to tank from 10m range with only 1 ability requiring melee range.

CrunkShizzle
04.16.2012 , 02:41 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by theangryllama View Post
Assassins : Static regenerating resource.. priority based system of large amounts of buffs/debuffs to maintain and watch (wither, harnessed darkness, overcharge saber, dark ward, energize, discharge, recklessness). Middle of the road for both shield chance and defense with most of its shield chance being tied to dark ward which as a previous poster mentioned suffers when being hit by multiple attacks

Juggernauts : Player controlled resource generation with attacks generating and costing rage. Highest defense of all tank classes and largest cooldowns. Because of the focus on defense bad RNG streaks can and will happen (which is where those big cooldowns come into play) and the fact that you have to generate your resource before you can spend it makes it difficult to change up mid rotation.

Powertechs : No fancy tools, worst cooldowns of all 3 tanks, highest raw damage reduction (heavy armor, 16% additional armor and talents/debuffs to reduce damage by a further 13%) and shielding (not based on charges as an assassins) makes powertechs have the smoothest damage intake. The heat system is the only thing that really needs to be watched and kept below a certain point to maintain maximum regen while at the same time allows burst to be used when needed with cooldowns available to vent heat. Also has the ability to tank from 10m range with only 1 ability requiring melee range.
what about the pros and cons of a assassin dps compared to a powertech dps

deception vs advanced prototype

theangryllama
04.16.2012 , 05:58 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by CrunkShizzle View Post
what about the pros and cons of a assassin dps compared to a powertech dps

deception vs advanced prototype
Couldn't tell you a whole lot about assassin dps. Both Madness and Deception seem viable though although they do suffer from the problem of being melee in a dress if you ever plan on PvPing. Both follow the same priority based nature of the tanking tree spreading your force over keeping given debuffs and procs active and then a filler attack

Powertech dps I know and love :P Pyrotech is the way to go at the moment however. Advanced prototype does have its viability and it got small QoL buffs this patch but is still behind pyro in almost all situations (pyros are up near the top of the dps pecking order with marauders and mercs). Pyro is a very heat heavy rotation focused on prototype particle accelerator procs where as a standard AP build is a rigid 12s rotation focused on prototype flamethrower usage.

CrunkShizzle
04.16.2012 , 06:06 PM | #16
what exactly do you mean by "melee in a dress"

in terms of the powertech thing.ive looked at pyro,and ive looked at ap and i just like the playstyle of ap better

Chaori
04.16.2012 , 09:21 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Stellin View Post
Both are good. PowerTechs are pretty amazing. Assassin will give you a broader range of options though. But for pure tanking nothing will beat a tank spec Juggernaut. Powertech is probably next, followed by assassin.
Jugg? Really? My Assassin tank in full Columi has better mitigation than my Jugg friend who's in near-full Rakata. Assassins, in my opinion, are the best in the game currently. Their rotation is fun and they have one of the best defensive cooldowns out of all the tanks.

Assassins also have the largest health pool out of all tanks.

Katahn
04.17.2012 , 10:41 AM | #18
My assassin is freshly level 50 and tank-spec. Assassins are strong but they require a lot of micro-management: watching dark charge, looking for proc-buffs, minding debuffs on enemies, and so on. If the shield drops (which it can in heavy aoe situations) you can rapidly become very squishy very fast. Assassins also have a long start-up time before they even begin to feel "tanky". Overall I do enjoy the Assassin and tend to agree it plays a bit like a paladin-deathknight-rogue combination from WoW.

Powertechs have the advantage of feeling very tanky right from the get go - but the big downside here is their defensive cooldowns (level 28 so far) are fairly lackluster in how much of a difference they can make. Their AOEs are pretty strong, but you can build up heat very quickly if you aren't careful. Levelling this guy I can say that in the earlier flashpoints I felt substantially more durable than my assassin did (could be just being more experienced) and I had a much easier time with groups of enemies.
Katahn
- Just an aging geek that remembers seeing Ep4 in the theater as a kid and knows that Han shot first!

theangryllama
04.17.2012 , 11:50 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by CrunkShizzle View Post
what exactly do you mean by "melee in a dress"

in terms of the powertech thing.ive looked at pyro,and ive looked at ap and i just like the playstyle of ap better
Melee in a dress being you have light armor... Your a sorcerer who runs up and hits people without the bubble, self heals and range advantage.

Deception can still be effective as it has tremendous burst killing potential but you really need to pick your fights and do well cause if you screw up you fall over if sneezed at loudly enough