Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Reverse Engineering Broken - or am I crazy???

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Reverse Engineering Broken - or am I crazy???

jolleebindu
04.22.2012 , 10:11 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by GnatB View Post
Well, to point out... if there's around a 1% chance of going on a streak that bad...

that means, on average, around 1 out of every 100 people are going to be going on a streak that bad on the getgo.

How many people post on these boards? Surely SOME are going to be going on a streak that bad right at the start.

And, of course, that's only the *first* time somebody tries to RE an item. if there's 10 of us trying to RE 10 items, on average 1 of those items will go on a streak that bad...

so really 1% chance of a streak "that bad" means it's actually fairly likely, considering the number of times being tried.
would it not make sense for them to utilize a pseudo random - so if you do go thru 15 of them on a 1/5 chance you are automatically granted the crit on the 16th - if it only applies to that 1/50ish case would it really be that big of a deal? (or if anything after the first 5 increase the odds to 40%, then after next five increase them to 60%)
JolleeBindu
<|====|::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

IAlkon
05.02.2012 , 02:58 PM | #22
Im up to 47 REs and 8+ hours trying to get the Artifact Might Hilt 22.

Working as intended I guess...

Endymionsama
05.02.2012 , 05:59 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by TheEdgeOfMadness View Post
Wow, great explanation. Really puts it in perspective! Btw the devs have said a couple of times that they are planning on implementing some sort of 'safety net' to deal with sucky strings of bad luck like this.
Aion had something similar. Their crafting system had a supposed 1/5 proc rate. However most players did not know there was a streak breaker that was easily exploitable. To beat the system in that game you could craft a ton of mats before hand. Once you got above a certain number you would attempt your actual craft. Because the game thought you did not proc x amount of times in a row the next 2 rolls were near guaranteed procs. For obvious reason it would not work for this game because you do not have to process mats to the same extent as Aion, but this gives you an idea of what a streak breaker could do.

GnatB
05.02.2012 , 06:58 PM | #24
Oh, I'm perfectly able to ignore other players using them, just like I can ignore the siths running around with blue or green. (Jedi running around with red doesn't really bother me all that much)

Just from reading the wikia page (which is where I got the info from too) and looking at the pictures there I got the feeling that darksaber was some sort of *very* primitive precursor, possibly just some regular sword encased in plasma or something, (tech equivelent of a flaming sword?) and not a "real" lightsaber that just happened to be a different color. (Basically, still want to know if it actually "extended" in the show)

dinchydoo
05.02.2012 , 07:19 PM | #25
I think it's down to the compion that makes the hilt, armor etc. and would like to know how can do what better ! but don't ask me !
The differants between Democracy & Anarcky is Experience AND Education !!
We all wish to control other peolpe , but it's the methods that are in Question?
Very few people make History for the Right reason?
Few see the real futher which it will become our own history

jsdcaedus
05.02.2012 , 08:07 PM | #26
it is broken. i know way to many people who have the same issue. and to the people saying "past failures have no effect on future RE's", that isn't what he's saying. he's trying to figure out what are the odds of failing X number of times in a row, which is a completely different equation as some people have pointed out.

either it's broken or BW is having a huge laugh at us, and i doubt the latter s true. somewhere, in some line of code, someone has misplaced a decimal or SOMETHING, because i don't care what any of the flamers or devs say, there is no way that it is actually 10/20%, it just isn't, plain and simple.

what would be cool is if for every failure you have, it ups the percentage of success for your next RE until you finally are successful, it resets. kinda like "well i tried taking it apart this way last time, now i've learned what i did wrong so i should have a better chance next time." unfortunately the good ideas are lost in the sea of turds...

shopmonkey
05.02.2012 , 09:14 PM | #27
i made a post about this same problem in the suggestion box forum . they say the devs actually look at that 1 so if you guys would like to post this there maybe we can get them to pay attention to us crafters.

ekimmak
05.02.2012 , 09:33 PM | #28
I have spent way too long, and way too many credits, RE stuff on my Sniper to get the reusables.

And then I spend way too many credits on missions to get the purple grade medical supplies.

I think there needs to be some sort of streakbreaker involved, but that's just me.
Best way to end Smuggler Act 1 is
Spoiler

You can't make up stuff like that.

Vanishing
05.02.2012 , 10:26 PM | #29
I have done a ton of RE with Synthweaving and it has always seemed obvious to me the random number generator does not work correctly. It definitely is not truly random chance. The best proof of this, at least in my experience, is the chance to discover a schematic is much higher if you RE something right after you just discovered a schematic. Each time I discover a schematic I make sure to immediately RE the next item and because it seems closer to a 50% chance of success.

Other than that, it definitely does not feel natural. I frequently go on very long streaks of not discovering new schematics. I've always been good with statistics and the probability of this happening so often is too low. I have not been counting, but I'm confident my success rate is a bit under the stated percentages.

KeaneTaverson
05.03.2012 , 12:00 AM | #30
20% is a lie.

I find it frustrating that the only way of having reliable gear is a broken system where 20% really means 1%.