Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why is the Story Mode, not a Story Mode?


hawkeyesfan's Avatar


hawkeyesfan
04.15.2012 , 11:16 AM | #11
The biggest problem players are having right now is the introduction of real mechanics and raid coordination and communication. These, in and of themselves, are not "hard" but they're certainly new for TOR players. It will take time to get used to them. When they are, we'll be back to complaining about how easy the game is. :P

I agree with you in principle but some mechanics are gonna be too much for some players. I know that sounds generalized but hear me out. I thought EV/KP were boring because normal and HM were the same (I don't do nor do I care to do Nightmare, I'm a HM target audience). So why not 1st boss story, tank and spank with gear that is only available in story mode. Then HM... OMG!!! what is this the boss jumped over to me what the hell is this!!!! Chaos ensues and a wow factor of learning a new wrinkle. See that is dynamic and fun and allows the story mode to be all inclusive so THAT segment of the population is happy.

I'm telling you all that these complaints are only gonna grow as more and more casuals get braver to actually post here and open themselves to the ridicule that will follow from the jerk everyday poster types. It happened in Cataclysm and it will invariably happen here. If you allow more people to raid with lower difficulty content like how easy normal mode EV/KP was and then do a complete 180 and make them NOT stand in stuff, or tank swap or actually heal full time those peeps not gonna be happy. And you all know I'm right.

Mavery's Avatar


Mavery
04.15.2012 , 11:23 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by hawkeyesfan View Post
I agree with you in principle but some mechanics are gonna be too much for some players. I know that sounds generalized but hear me out. I thought EV/KP were boring because normal and HM were the same (I don't do nor do I care to do Nightmare, I'm a HM target audience). So why not 1st boss story, tank and spank with gear that is only available in story mode. Then HM... OMG!!! what is this the boss jumped over to me what the hell is this!!!! Chaos ensues and a wow factor of learning a new wrinkle. See that is dynamic and fun and allows the story mode to be all inclusive so THAT segment of the population is happy.

I'm telling you all that these complaints are only gonna grow as more and more casuals get braver to actually post here and open themselves to the ridicule that will follow from the jerk everyday poster types. It happened in Cataclysm and it will invariably happen here. If you allow more people to raid with lower difficulty content like how easy normal mode EV/KP was and then do a complete 180 and make them NOT stand in stuff, or tank swap or actually heal full time those peeps not gonna be happy. And you all know I'm right.
I do understand the point you're trying to make, but I don't see tank swapping as a complex mechanic. The jump is clearly visible, tanks tab target and hit their taunt. Real easy, real simple. Anyone can do it.

I think part of the problem we're seeing is Bioware expected us to take two tanks into EV/KP. This didn't happen. No one did it. So now, in response to this, they're shoving two tank mechanics down our throat. Different, but players will get used to it.

hawkeyesfan's Avatar


hawkeyesfan
04.15.2012 , 11:35 AM | #13
Lol sorry I was just using that as a for instance. I just mean normal is normal, HM adds new mechanics, and Nightmare blows your hair back and takes a month or months to down even by the best guilds, like Vanilla bosses were in WoW.

But I do stand by tank swapping as a step up in difficulty for many who would wrongly assume that someone was pulling agro or that that tank sucked and couldn't hold agro. Let's face it some peeps are not good raiders and never will be so I thought that a 3 tiered system of super easy, challenging and OMG (pulls hair out) was brilliant. But in actuality I just fear they are gonna alienate that segment and I'm betting casuals and people who prefer pugging are a large portion of the subs.

Mavery's Avatar


Mavery
04.15.2012 , 11:54 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by hawkeyesfan View Post
Lol sorry I was just using that as a for instance. I just mean normal is normal, HM adds new mechanics, and Nightmare blows your hair back and takes a month or months to down even by the best guilds, like Vanilla bosses were in WoW.

But I do stand by tank swapping as a step up in difficulty for many who would wrongly assume that someone was pulling agro or that that tank sucked and couldn't hold agro. Let's face it some peeps are not good raiders and never will be so I thought that a 3 tiered system of super easy, challenging and OMG (pulls hair out) was brilliant. But in actuality I just fear they are gonna alienate that segment and I'm betting casuals and people who prefer pugging are a large portion of the subs.
We have no idea what NiM is going to look like, but EC does follow the first two stages that you outlined.

What I will give you is this: normal EC is not LFR difficulty. I'm glad of that, but it's also not faceroll. Now are TOR's casual up to anything beyond LFR difficulty? Time will tell.

Bluestone's Avatar


Bluestone
04.15.2012 , 01:53 PM | #15
Making all content accessible to all players regardless of how much effort they put in to get their doesn't make sense to me.

IMO if a player doesn't put in the effort to get T1 gear then they haven't earned the chance to move on to any T2 content.

Without progression of gear and difficulty there would be even less point to MMO's with this common model/structure (such as WoW).
Guild Leader Dakhan - A proud New Zealand TORboard enthusiast
Order of the Unifying Force - established Nov. 2008 - Recruitment Thread
US-East RP-PvP Server: Jung Ma
[International] [Republic] [All Classes]

krinaman's Avatar


krinaman
04.15.2012 , 02:43 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Bluestone View Post
Making all content accessible to all players regardless of how much effort they put in to get their doesn't make sense to me.

IMO if a player doesn't put in the effort to get T1 gear then they haven't earned the chance to move on to any T2 content.

Without progression of gear and difficulty there would be even less point to MMO's with this common model/structure (such as WoW).
What is being discussed is people doing T1 story mode and then do T2 story mode. I'm not sure where you are getting the lack of progression or people not putting any effort in.

This progression even makes sense as columi geared people would be getting Rakata gear. As opposed to having to get full Rakata to go do a raid that gives Rakata.