Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Augmented custom gear suggestion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Augmented custom gear suggestion

Magistra
04.15.2012 , 07:52 AM | #1
Hey all, I've started crafting weapons again since patch 1.2 and there's something I find odd with the custom gear you can craft.

You can craft augmented lvl 20 armors that are the exact same as the lvl 50 ones, which costs much more to make. I understand the only reason I would craft lvl 50 weapons instead of 20s would be for the skin... I don't think that's worth it at all! I believe lvl 20 augmented orange items will sell for much cheaper since they're cheaper & faster to make, so it kills the purpose of making lvl 50 items(Unless the guy wants the skin)

Here's my suggestion:

Add an item level requirement for mods! You'd only be able to put certain level of mods/augments into a certain item level. Item level 20: you can put mods up to level 30
Item level 50: you can put mods up to level 60

thoughts?

CarpLTunnel
04.15.2012 , 07:59 AM | #2
Only reason someone would attempt a higher level craft is mainly because the higher level gear sometimes looks better is all. I hope they dont add the idea you posted.

Lxkane
04.15.2012 , 12:58 PM | #3
Yes that is a very very bad idea.

On my Jugg I used a level 10 vibrosword until I was level 48 when I started using the Chopper.

This idea would forced me keep changing my vibrosword every 10 levels.

Magistra
04.15.2012 , 01:21 PM | #4
And why would changing your gear every once in a while be a bad thing? That's the whole point of having tiers!

High end players can buy lvl 10 augmented armors for next to nothing, even though they're the high end pieces of equipment and that doesn't make any sense to me.

Lxkane
04.15.2012 , 01:33 PM | #5
Because the whole point of having modular gear is so you don't have to change the aesthetic of your character if you don't want to do so.

For example there are no high level pants for marauders. So with your idea after level 29 and until 50 every marauder male or female will be wearing a dress unless they choose to start using imperial agent armor.

Magistra
04.15.2012 , 01:50 PM | #6
uh there's plenty of items for every classes that you get from doing quests and loot on mobs, not only orange stuff. They would also need to add lvl 10,30 and 40 orange schematics

Magistra
04.15.2012 , 08:21 PM | #7
I've never really played WoW but nice try your insult would work on maybe half SWTOR's playerbase.

All I'm saying is that it makes no sense to be able to craft high end gear that's level 20.

Sure you can look however you want with an appearance set or even a more casual set(not augmented items) if you want that, but to me it makes no sense for high end gear to be level 20; as I said before, it kills the purpose of crafting augmented level 50 custom gear

Oh look I'll try a bad insult too: If you care that much about the appearance of your character you might as well just play barbie

Danakar
04.15.2012 , 08:29 PM | #8
The reason why a lot of people wear the lower level custom shells is because they feel more closely related to something from Star Wars when compared to the higher level custom shells (for references, see the threads regarding end-game armor).

And that's all they are; shells. The mods inside dictate the level of the item. The shell just has a base level for when it can be equipped; nothing more.

At present time everyone can look how he/she wants to look. Adding a limitation to the shells in what mods to put in would only limit the number of unique appearances in the gameworld. This is known as the clone-syndrome (not to be confused with the clown-syndrome, for which BioWare is attempting to offer a solution with their 'Unify' system).

So I personally would vote against your suggested idea as it would diminish the current variety and freedom of choice to wear what we want to wear and still remain effective in combat. Now I can choose to look like an actual Jedi in humble 'low level' robes, instead of being forced to look like a Space Samurai just because BioWare employees thought it funny to use that as the 'end-game' armor.
Danakar <Legacy name taken> - retired Jedi Knight
The Fifth Order (fell to pieces after the merge)
|||||||||||||()█╣ Subscription cancelled, thanks BW/EA

Magistra
04.15.2012 , 08:42 PM | #9
Thank you that's a good point, I didn't really think of the clone syndrome

capitalbel
04.15.2012 , 11:38 PM | #10
It's nice to wear the gear that you like rather that be restricted to looking the same as everyone.

Maybe a better way to fix the problem would be the crit chance to add additional augment slots.

So higher level gear that was expensive to make had a higher crit chance and lower level gear that was cheaper to make would have a lower crit chance.

That way there'd still be incentive for crafters to make the higher level stuff (since the higher rate should make it easier to craft items with more slots) and the lower level stuff with more slots would have more value then the currently do and appeal to players after a specific look.