Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

This game badly needs mods and macros.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
This game badly needs mods and macros.

Zingas
12.17.2011 , 07:35 AM | #1
I sorely underestimated just how poor the UI would turn out. It is so uncustomizable it isn't funny. Health bars, buffs, debuffs, and the power bar are all WAY too small. You can't move or resize anything, I HATE having the chat box up the top.

Not having a damage meter or even a freaking combat log is ridiculous. Why shouldn't we even know how much damage we're doing? I want to know what the best rotation is for my character and I have absolutely no way of working that out.

Macros are a staple in every MMO, how can you just not have them? There's a nice focus target but it's practically useless without focus macros.

These should be top priority for the next patch.

Gigabytes
12.17.2011 , 07:39 AM | #2
My wife was complaining about the UI for over 6 months in beta. The UI is garbage, nobody in my family will touch this game. My son already spent the prepaid credit card that preordered this game on some other game, Origin will have fun collecting.

Zingas
12.17.2011 , 07:40 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Gigabytes View Post
My wife was complaining about the UI for over 6 months in beta. The UI is garbage, nobody in my family will touch this game. My son already spent the prepaid credit card that preordered this game on some other game, Origin will have fun collecting.
I wouldn't say it's something that completely ruins the game. Especially not at launch. But if BioWare doesn't have it in the next patch, or heavily developing it for soon after, then it will be unbearable to play without Mods/Macros at max level.

BaronOfWar
12.17.2011 , 07:42 AM | #4
I agree UI is horrendous.

Working out a rotation is simple due to fly text and watching health bars

I understand your concern with macros. Maybe simple macros but I would not like to see the game turn out like Rift. Bunch of 3 button rotations.
--Baron (or some similar spelling)

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."

Raximillian
12.17.2011 , 07:44 AM | #5
Your opinion. In my opinion, the UI is fine. I can see my party health as raid frames and make them as big as I want. That's pretty much all I needed. The health at the bottom and chat at the top are also pretty good in my opinion. So I have to disagree that the game needs mods and macros.

However, I do agree that the UI should have more customizable options. We should be able to move stuff around, and resize. I would love to resize a few things I find a bit small :S

QQJEDIQQ
12.17.2011 , 07:46 AM | #6
Yeah the horrible UI design is my biggest problem with the game (second biggest problem is the lack of dynamic gameplay). I think the issue with the UI is that the lead UI "designer" isn't a designer at all--but rather a fine artist/illustrator. No thought was put into usability or interaction with the environment and other players. I've played the game for 3 days straight, and not once have I spoken with another player. This is mainly due to the fact that I do not know when someone is talking to me, nor is it self-evident how to talk to another person.

For the life of me, I just do not understand why there are NO chat bubbles. How could they leave something like that out? Are we just supposed to watch "Barrens Chat" in the upper left-hand window scroll by at 20 point type in the hopes that someone will mention my name in the 4 seconds it takes for a new message to scroll by? It's ridiculous.
__--= Denezi Bo'o ==--_
Bounty Hunter of the Swiftsure
The Hero of Naboo. The Queen of the Bantha. The Bagger of Jedi.

Raximillian
12.17.2011 , 07:49 AM | #7
I disagree about addons and macro, and prefer they are not added. We should all play with the same tools. Sure, the tools should be customizable, but we should not be able to create our own tools. People will exploit any opening they are given. So I would prefer BW keeps control over the whole UI, and just allows us to customize.

Zingas
12.17.2011 , 07:49 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by BaronOfWar View Post

JSykes
12.17.2011 , 07:49 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by BaronOfWar View Post
I agree UI is horrendous.

I understand your concern with macros. Maybe simple macros but I would not like to see the game turn out like Rift. Bunch of 3 button rotations.
All I want is mouse over healing. If they implement that into the game, I don't even need macros. Nor do I need mods.
Representation of TOR from Launch to the end of the free month is here.

Rumshot
12.17.2011 , 07:50 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Gigabytes View Post
Yeh, i to just hang around on forums on games i dont play..

the UI is not great, but i have no problem with it. and BW said they are going to make it more adjustable