Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Patch/Repair loop/Installation Solved!!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Patch/Repair loop/Installation Solved!!

Goar
04.14.2012 , 04:08 PM | #1
I doubt that the issue I was having is the same as most, however for those that are having similar issues, this may help.

I was consistantly having issues after installing the main asset 1, this is what I was getting in my logs (I shortened the error retrying log, it apparently attempts
to retry 11 times)

2012-04-14 11:00:01 ERROR Retrying (11) patch operation in 10 seconds
2012-04-14 11:00:11 ERROR File Error:Unknown file error in E:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars-The Old Republic\Assets/swtor_main_area_quesh_1.tor
2012-04-14 11:00:11 ERROR File info: size=0, created=4/14/2012 14:58:7, accessed=4/14/2012 14:58:7, written=4/14/2012 15:0:11
2012-04-14 11:00:12 ERROR File info: Procs Using: 6928 launcher.exe
2012-04-14 11:00:12 INFO Patch Complete assets_swtor_main, current=-1/upcoming=-1/required=50
2012-04-14 11:00:12 INFO General Patch manifest state error in retailclient_swtor
2012-04-14 11:00:12 INFO General Patch manifest state error in retailclient_swtor
2012-04-14 11:00:12 ERROR Fetch Manifest Failure: General Failure
2012-04-14 11:00:12 INFO Patching end

I "had" 16GB of Ram utilizing (4) 4GB sticks

Dimm 0 - 4G (a) (1G-4G)
Dimm 1 - 4G (b) (9G- 12G)
Dimm 2 - 4G (c) (5G-8G)
Dimm 3 - 4G (d) (13G - 16G)

I ran the memtest program (as instructed by BW) and found a couple errors at the 6G mark and quite a few at the 13G mark, so I assumed that those sticks
were having issues (4G (c) and 4G (d))
So I reconfigured my memory with those Dimms that were not getting errors (Dimm0 4G (a) and Dimm1 4G (b)) and moved Dimm 1 (4G (b)) to the Dimm 2 slot and have a total of 8G now.

Dimm 0 - 4G (a) (1G-4G)
Dimm 2 - 4G (b) (5G-8G) now (as above used to be 9G - 12G dimm)

Because of my impatience with what I have been struggling with the last couple of days, I also did the following:

Uninstalled AVG
Turned off Windows Firewall

(I am not using the default install path c:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars-The Old Republic\, and am using a secondary drive (32G 10k Raptor) E:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars-The Old Republic\ as my swtor drive, I have an SSD boot drive (Corsair 64GB) for my OS)

If this issue was indeed due to errors with my RAM, I am thinking that this installation/Launcher/Patch system is extremely sensitive to RAM behavior, as
I have installed many many games/patches in the past (not related to SWTOR) without issue and running swtor itself in the past with all my RAM didn't have a problem.
In the past though, just about 99% of the time, when a patch came out, I had issues.

Nahmora
04.14.2012 , 06:59 PM | #2
So if this is found to be a memory issue, how do those of us who are not as computer literate fix this issue?

What is memtest finds no issue.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" -Adam Savage, Mythbuster

Goar
04.14.2012 , 11:15 PM | #3
This isn't a fix for all, and by all means really shouldn't be "THE" fix, as 99% of games out there do not seem to be that sensitive to the memory issues I had, however, IF you are experiencing similar issue and don't want to wait. Take a look at your motherboard manual and lookup your RAM config/placement. You will then have to remove RAM sticks and replace them/move them around. If you look at my example, you will see how the memory is calculated in most motherboards.

Another example if you had 4GB of RAM your DIMM slots may look like this:
(If you have 4 DIMM Slots)
DIMM 0 - 1-2GB
DIMM 1 - Blank
DIMM 3 - 3-4GB
DIMM 4 - Blank

In this example, if you don't run the memtest, I would pull the memory out of DIMM3 and try it. IF problem persists, pull the memory out of DIMM0 and replace with the memory pulled from DIMM3, if problem still persists, then well, sorry to say, find another game to play...

Rowbit
04.15.2012 , 04:51 PM | #4
Thanks for posting this, Goar. I believe you're absolutely correct here.

I've knowingly had one of my three 2GB sticks occasionally failing to register on boot up for a while, but didn't think anything of it since a quick reboot usually fixes it so that i get my full 6GB.

That said, I've also had CHRONIC installer problems. A majority of the patches will fail and send me into a quick repair loop, but this most recent one has had me in a repair loop for two days. Luckily I stumbled across this thread and tried patching after disabling the bad stick of RAM. Worked like a charm! I was a bit baffled because this is really the only game that's had an issue patching, and my RAM otherwise doesn't give me any problems at all.

Thanks again for this post.

eartharioch
04.15.2012 , 05:15 PM | #5
FYI, I have had *very* few CTDs in the four months I've been playing (since pre-Launch), and those I have had have been after many hours constant game play (I think about 8 hrs this time). I did have one yesterday, and I actually checked my Windows Event Viewer, and the cause of the crash was...MemoryMan.dll.

Specifically (in case it's relevant), the cause of crash was:
Faulting application swtor.exe, version 1.0.0.0, time stamp 0x4f87b096, faulting module MemoryMan.dll, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x4f87ace5, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000069e2, process id 0xf64, application start time 0x01cd1a77c67b4c20.
Q: What did the five fingers say to the face?
A: It's a SLAP!

danpen
04.15.2012 , 05:16 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by eartharioch View Post
FYI, I have had *very* few CTDs in the four months I've been playing (since pre-Launch), and those I have had have been after many hours constant game play (I think about 8 hrs this time). I did have one yesterday, and I actually checked my Windows Event Viewer, and the cause of the crash was...MemoryMan.dll.

Specifically (in case it's relevant), the cause of crash was:
Faulting application swtor.exe, version 1.0.0.0, time stamp 0x4f87b096, faulting module MemoryMan.dll, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x4f87ace5, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000069e2, process id 0xf64, application start time 0x01cd1a77c67b4c20.
Is it all right now oh !!!!
I am looking for people who need more help in the forums and i will be there to help you make it better ok.

eartharioch
04.16.2012 , 07:53 PM | #7
SWTOR crashed during a memory access, the rest of the system is fine. Either SWTOR is suddenly overheating my RAM or it has a brand new bug. Or Microsoft broke, since the only two things to change in my system over the last few days were patch-1.2 and installing monthly MS upgrades. My money's on SWTOR.

FYI, I could tell that the game was crashing b/c it froze, my hard drive thrashed (like it only does for page file access) for several minutes before the app actually finished crashing. During these times (it happened again yesterday, making it twice out of three days of post-1.2 play compared to about never out of four months pre-1.2) I could Alt-Tab to my desktop and my system was fully responsive and able to run other apps. I could Alt-tab back to the frozen SWTOR and then Alt-Tab back to a responsive system.

At least it's after several hours of play. Given that it usually takes a few minutes to quit the game intentionally, it really seems to be a memory leak.
Q: What did the five fingers say to the face?
A: It's a SLAP!