Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

DFA, an AOE without "Area of Effect"

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
DFA, an AOE without "Area of Effect"

Wancholo
04.14.2012 , 12:01 PM | #1
Yesterday I witnessed something humiliating. In Voidstar, after our team had planted the bomb at the door, I used DFA in the center of the door, to prevent the bomb is defused. I could see that the enemy was able to defuse the bomb from both sides of my AOE.
If melee rank is 4m around the player, how can an AOE has a radius of 5m???

I prefer don't talk when in PVE you try to attack a group of NPCs and you make only one tick of damage because they were pushed back out the "Area of Effect".

I really don't understand that.

TheNinjaboy
04.14.2012 , 12:15 PM | #2
DFA pre-1.2 was great for a number of reasons.

It really was solid for busting up people turtling or "abusing" LoS.

Arc Mercs are effortless to kite because of the turret mechanic.

The previous DFA gave Mercs an added play mechanic that would allow you to AoE around key areas that had objects players would use for LoS when they were almost dead.

The previous radius was just enough to finish someone off attempting to hide in key spots on the Warzone maps.

DFA 1.2 is just bad. The slower interval high-burst mechanic is gone and the radius has been overnerfed. All they needed to do to DFA in 1.2 is have the damage start immediately instead of the tail end of the tick intervals.

Humankeg
04.14.2012 , 10:19 PM | #3
Funny they left other classes with aoe area's much larger than DFA. A sorc's lightning storm looks to have a 10m+ range, with no cool down.

bahdasz
04.15.2012 , 02:15 AM | #4
What???? Melee range is seriously 4 meters around the target? That means an 8 meter circle?

And my rockets flying every which way from hell makes a 5 meter circle?

WHO IS IN CHARGE OF THIS GAME? Whoever it is, take their crack pipe away!

PS- I'm not being sarcastic. I don't know because I don't PvP much and I HATE glowbats, so I will never roll a sith or (even worse) jeedai. But if this is the way it is, someone is either hitting the pipe waaaayyyy too hard or just freaking flat out retareded. I gave them the benefit of the doubt that it's a controlable/correctable problem.

clearsighted
04.15.2012 , 02:54 AM | #5
I think the radius is actually 5.5 meters.

Mithraw
04.15.2012 , 03:41 AM | #6
I didn't think the nerf to DFA would be so bad, but after the past 20-something warzones I have come to the conclusion that it's not worth using anymore unless you're up against total idiots that like to bunch up on eachother.

People have always moved out of the big imperial symbol on the floor, but you'd still hit a few people, even if only for a tick or two. Now when you cast it you have to be lucky to hit more than 1 player, and the last ticks usually don't hit anybody which makes it a waste of heat/time to cast it.

In PvE the max targets I seem to hit is 2, it can hit 3 but because of the knockback it always knocks the third enemy out of the area of effect.

DFA is a signature move for the bounty hunter and added to the fun of playing one, it's pretty disappointing that the developers did not take this fun-factor into account when they decided to make this ability inefficient.

Oh well, the time not spent casting DFA can be used for 2 more Tracer Missiles... sigh...
!▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▤▤▤▤▤▤▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀!

Jestunhi
04.15.2012 , 06:59 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by clearsighted View Post
I think the radius is actually 5.5 meters.
From patchnotes:

Death From Above now has a 5-meter radius to bring its range in line with other Bounty Hunter Area of Effect abilities, and it now begins dealing damage sooner after activation.
Quote: Originally Posted by AlyxDinas View Post
Jestunhi's responses might be just about the the most asinine and pigheaded responses I've ever read on a forum.

exphryl
04.15.2012 , 07:13 AM | #8
I honestly do not understand the change considering how Orbital Strike and Sorc AOE (although not as powerful, but with no cooldown). Is still able to be in like that.

It's like we got a Ranged Smash which is just as easy to move out of =/
E x p h r y l | <Exiled Disciples> Daragon Trail
| ---------- Want to see Pyro Burst Potential in 1.2? Watch This! -----------|
| Valor 90+ Powertech | |Thinking of Rolling a Pyro or Assault VG? Read this Guide |
|
|Guild Website | Youtube| Cassie - 50 Operative | Krelia - 50 Sorcerer|

DeathDiciple
04.15.2012 , 07:18 AM | #9
Its useless for 99% of things it was useful before. Can't AOE packs cause it misses most of them, nerf to damage makes it pointless on single target/bosses anymore, just one more 'shoulder slam' type of thing i'll take off my quickbars i guess... RIP

ounkeo
04.15.2012 , 08:12 PM | #10
I'm sure people conveniently forget that pre 1.2, DFA was always supposed to be around 5m radius. In practice, it was more like 10m. It was quite obvious it wasn't working as intended, but we got used to it.

Yes, I liked pre 1.2 DFA a lot more, but I accepted it long ago that it was eventually going to get rebalanced to actually do what the tooltip says.