Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR storyline compared to .....

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
SWTOR storyline compared to .....

Ashu-ri
04.15.2012 , 10:10 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by JediRaffa View Post
I have been playing this game since pre-order, and for the most part, I have been enjoying the storyline component.

I'd say around level 35+, the storyline started to become flat and it was a push to get close to 50.

Then, as the server pop started to drop on my server (Thana Vesh), It became increasingly more difficult. So I decided to shelf SWTOR until patch 1.2 came out and decided to play ME3.

Those of you familiar with the game should know how fantastic the story is there (minus the ending).

After completeing ME3 I came back to SWTOR to wrap up my class quest. Needless to say, I was so utterly bored and unimpressed with the final plotline (doing Jedi Consular) compared to ME3 that I feel this has affected my outlook on SWTOR.

Did anyone have a similiar experience ?
OUt of my experience (I have all 8 classes), JC is probably the worst storyline, IMO. Enough that at Belsalvis I had to shelve my JC while I leveled up a trooper and finished all storylines. Try another class before you doom the game.

Ashu-ri
04.15.2012 , 10:14 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Gungan View Post
Absolutely. SWTOR stories are so inferior compared to anything BioWare has done previously, I really don't understand how people don't see it.

They are completely shoe horned by the fact that this is an MMO, they cannot allow players to make any decisions that will actually affect the world, so the illusion of choice is given with the dialogue wheel, but the same thing happens no matter what you pick... except you either answer like a good guy, or like a dbag and get the associated Light or Dark side points.

The emotional tone is also completely flat. There has never been a point in SWTOR where I either burst out from joy or laughter, then cried at a later point in the story. I also couldn't care any less about my companions in this game and their whiny annoying problems, except maybe Vette. Compared to companions in any other BioWare game, these people have high school problems.
I know in at least the Imperial Agent storyline, and possibly the bounty hunter storyline, your light side/dark side decisions affect your ending - there are 5 different possible endings depending on where you are on the light side/dark side scale, at least on the imperial agent. The Jedis, the Siths, the Trooper, all of those have no wiggle room because there is no other possible way to go.

And no other MMO has the possibility of changing outcomes on your responses. I've never even played an MMO where you could chose your responses - it was either take the quest or not.

BrainSplatter
04.15.2012 , 10:32 AM | #13
No, I really liked Mass Effect 3, but I don't think you can compare the two that easily. All high-profile singleplayer games will have more time, resources, etc., devoted to a 'shorter' experience than MMOs will.

I like MMOs obviously, but in a way they've always been about quantity over quality to an extent. To give a game longevity you can't put one hour's worth of the same enticing singleplayer gameplay 'blockbuster' titles have. Instead, you try to hand out one hour's worth of enjoyable content that will want you to come back.
Glorious Collector's Edition owner, lording it over all the other plebs.

Beeska mu-moolee bu Halapu. Ho-ho-ho-ho!

lexiekaboom
04.15.2012 , 10:59 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by BrainSplatter View Post
No, I really liked Mass Effect 3, but I don't think you can compare the two that easily. All high-profile singleplayer games will have more time, resources, etc., devoted to a 'shorter' experience than MMOs will.

I like MMOs obviously, but in a way they've always been about quantity over quality to an extent. To give a game longevity you can't put one hour's worth of the same enticing singleplayer gameplay 'blockbuster' titles have. Instead, you try to hand out one hour's worth of enjoyable content that will want you to come back.
Chapter 2 of the consular plot is the worst in the game without question. From the minute you step on Hoth it's downhill for quite some time.

Picks up hardcore in chapter 3 though. It feels just like the suicide mission in ME2 with building tension and a real sense of urgency.

Knight is the best overall story start to finish on the pub side. Agent on the imperial. As a rule the imperial side is better overall by a noticeable amount.

VanderII
04.21.2012 , 06:39 AM | #15
Story lines are pretty nice for a MMO but they are incomparable with single player games. I'd like to play at KOTOR 3 single player
- Neithan Legacy -
- A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities. - J.R.R.T

Andronicos
04.21.2012 , 07:50 AM | #16
Depends on the class

My first character (and only 50 so far) was a Jedi Knight, and like you I felt it was pretty flat and abandoned the game at around lvl 40, came back after being traumatized by ME3 horrible ending and forced myself to finish the knight, once that was done however I started an Imperial Agent and a Sith Warrior and boy those two storylines are AMAZING so far (up to level 35 on both) and I can't wait to see what is next!

I honestly think the Imperial Agent story is one of the best of ANY Bioware game
Darth Securos - Dark Lord of the Sith
Captain Galen Sunlighter - Just a simple man making his way on the galaxy
Agent Keldran Reus - "Corellian ale, shaken not stirred"

VanderII
04.21.2012 , 08:08 AM | #17
The Jedi knight is the only story that I have finished so far and I liked it, now I'm trying Sith inquisitor but I have never found epic elements which we seen on single players game like DAO or ME.
- Neithan Legacy -

MWidowmaker
04.21.2012 , 08:14 AM | #18
at least your class story wont end with a choice of 3 colors!

kercchaos
04.21.2012 , 09:45 AM | #19
I just want more story! MORE!

ARE YOU READING THIS BIOWARE? MORE STORY PLEASE!!

=)

Caps were intentional. I'm not in the least bit sorry. I just want tonnes more story.
Tresa Ravenholm - Gunslinger - Master Dar'Nala

Trolls gonna troll.

VanderII
04.21.2012 , 12:12 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by MWidowmaker View Post
at least your class story wont end with a choice of 3 colors!
Nice, I like red color
- Neithan Legacy -