Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Light sided Sith


Bleeters's Avatar


Bleeters
02.08.2013 , 09:20 AM | #141
Quote: Originally Posted by Ugrah View Post
But the ultimate purpose of the one being Sith is to gain power by any means necessary. Do i need this? I take it. Is he more powerful? I'll manipulate and deceive him and take what's his to gain advantage.
Every sith would only look to his own advantage and would not give a damn about the good of Empire.
I'm curious what kind of power you think the Sith will have in the event their constant, reckless self ambition and internal struggles cause the Empire to collapse, as it's currently on the way to doing. Power structures with no pragmatism don't last very long.

There's a line from a Warcraft character I've generally found apt for these kinds of discussions. Dismiss it on the basis of it's source if you will: "Those who lead through fear only stay in power while those they govern lack courage".

Ugrah's Avatar


Ugrah
02.08.2013 , 10:28 AM | #142
Quote: Originally Posted by Bleeters View Post
I'm curious what kind of power you think the Sith will have in the event their constant, reckless self ambition and internal struggles cause the Empire to collapse, as it's currently on the way to doing. Power structures with no pragmatism don't last very long.

There's a line from a Warcraft character I've generally found apt for these kinds of discussions. Dismiss it on the basis of it's source if you will: "Those who lead through fear only stay in power while those they govern lack courage".
Precisely, no one ever said that the empire is eternal. In my view the structure of the empire is only good for each and every sith if he/she is at the peak of its power (emperor) or on the way to get there. What happens with that structure after death of said individual is irrelevant (at least from his/her perspective). To be a good sith would mean to build up on the idea of the empire (serving others) instead of fueling personal gains. That is as far as I see it impossible when taking the sith code into account.

errant_knight's Avatar


errant_knight
02.08.2013 , 10:53 AM | #143
The sith code is open to interpretation and more then one philosophy regarding the force is known in the empire. Many Sith would agree that to be LS is entirely wrong, maybe even dangerous. That's one of the things that makes it so interesting--the added feeling of danger.

Beslley's Avatar


Beslley
02.08.2013 , 01:40 PM | #144
Quote: Originally Posted by NKraven View Post
oh boy, i keep telling people that light side sith actually do a better job for the empire, but they are like: nooooooooo you are a traitor for not killing 3000 possible assets for the empire not counting valuable intel on the enemy.

That thinking will ruin the empire one day.

....and light side warrior storyline is much more interesting from my point of view
I made quite a few LS choices on my Dark V sorc during leveling. I think I ended up being Dark IV. Can't recall. In any case I ended up just grinding FPs to get to Dark V So I guess I'm into the Dark Side, but I can do what's best for the Empire, too, in a pinch. I'M A RESPONSIBLE ADULT I SWEAR

Canonically, though, you can see why the Empire can't actually beat the Republic. We're too busy undermining the **** out of each other :P
<Death and Taxes>
Prophecy of the Five

Beslley - dps sorc | Arenatah - snoipah | Nef'arian - dps op | Alexstraza - slinger
KHEM VAL IS MY COPILOT

Bleeters's Avatar


Bleeters
02.08.2013 , 01:49 PM | #145
Quote: Originally Posted by Ugrah View Post
Precisely, no one ever said that the empire is eternal. In my view the structure of the empire is only good for each and every sith if he/she is at the peak of its power (emperor) or on the way to get there. What happens with that structure after death of said individual is irrelevant (at least from his/her perspective). To be a good sith would mean to build up on the idea of the empire (serving others) instead of fueling personal gains. That is as far as I see it impossible when taking the sith code into account.
That's sort of besides the point.

I'm not saying 'what happens to the Empire after Sith X dies'. I'm saying that whilst they're still alive, the Empire runs a considerably higher risk of outright collapsing when those at the top are a bunch of self serving, power craving *******es, and once it does collapse, they cease having any power anyway. The ToR period timeline is already fracturing and weakened, largely due to power plays of the greedy and ambitious. I'd wager they'd have already won if not for that.

Besides which, dark sided options have a tendancy of just killing potential allies and assets because reasons. Dark sided Sith get no Voss mystics for example, because they massacre them on Ilum. Guess who does? Light siders. I know who I'd say is the more powerful for their decision.

Stultophobe's Avatar


Stultophobe
02.08.2013 , 06:58 PM | #146
Quote: Originally Posted by Bluerodian View Post
Light sided Sith could simply view the Empire as the only real way to have stability in the galaxy. I imagine that they would view the detachment practiced by the Jedi as counter-productive. How can one profess to guard and value anything, when they cherish nothing?

Light sided Sith would probably use righteous anger and justified hatred to, in their minds, do far more to protect the people of the Empire than the droid-like emotionless nonsense of the Jedi serving the corrupt republic.

There's far more to emotion than just hate and anger. Rather than being driven by ambition for power, a Sith could put his or her life on the line for the sake of brotherly love for his her her fellow citizen of the empire. At that point, seeking power is more just a means to an end and they would view their assuming leadership not as a right or privilege, but as a sacred duty.
Ditto. The LS play-through for the Sith Warrior arc is the only rout that--at least to me--seemed to be able to consistently justify my character's philosophy, granted I don't really RP. I was surprised, honestly. Several confrontations within the LS SW story arc definitely give you a moral and rational high ground over the Jedi and their Order (the Sith as well, needless to mention). I'm no expert on Star Wars lore, but the LS SW would probably be something comparable to an Imperial Knight (Fel Empire post 44 ABY). Correct me if I'm wrong.
HK-47: "Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope.... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

Hirilonde's Avatar


Hirilonde
02.08.2013 , 10:05 PM | #147
Quote: Originally Posted by Stultophobe View Post
Ditto. The LS play-through for the Sith Warrior arc is the only rout that--at least to me--seemed to be able to consistently justify my character's philosophy, granted I don't really RP. I was surprised, honestly. Several confrontations within the LS SW story arc definitely give you a moral and rational high ground over the Jedi and their Order (the Sith as well, needless to mention). I'm no expert on Star Wars lore, but the LS SW would probably be something comparable to an Imperial Knight (Fel Empire post 44 ABY). Correct me if I'm wrong.
Part of me almost wishes that Bioware would make a leap, and have an event that splits the TOR universe off from the Star Wars mainline, altering the inevitable Sith Empire collapse, deposing Vitatae for a less 'Cartoony Supervillain' Emperor, and basically altering the path of development.

Some secret project of Palpatine's to send a message into the past should he fall, or something.

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
02.08.2013 , 11:59 PM | #148
Quote: Originally Posted by Hirilonde View Post
Part of me almost wishes that Bioware would make a leap, and have an event that splits the TOR universe off from the Star Wars mainline, altering the inevitable Sith Empire collapse, deposing Vitatae for a less 'Cartoony Supervillain' Emperor, and basically altering the path of development.

Some secret project of Palpatine's to send a message into the past should he fall, or something.
So you want BW to upset the Star Wars fans, as Star Trek did with the last movie? o.O

_biddan_'s Avatar


_biddan_
02.09.2013 , 03:37 PM | #149
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
So you want BW to upset the Star Wars fans, as Star Trek did with the last movie? o.O
if that gets my inquisitor on the throne and my warrior on a seat of the jedi council (after becoming a jedi,duh) then yes.
Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Caesar Legacy
Legacy lvl 50

Surinen's Avatar


Surinen
02.09.2013 , 03:47 PM | #150
lightsider is not a Sith and there's no field for other interpretations and speculations. you are a Sith only if you immerse yourself in the Dark Arts of the force
Aperture Science. We do what we must, because we can. For the good of all of us- Except the ones who are dead.