Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Legacy Family Tree... Is This A Joke

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Roleplaying
Legacy Family Tree... Is This A Joke

SelinaH
04.20.2012 , 08:41 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Alyanya View Post
Just my opinion, but I thought this made perfect sense. All the Jedi and Sith classes have the master/apprentice relationship established very early in the story line. How can a Sith have two masters, after all? If your Marauder is going to have Darth Baras as her master, how can she also have some other toon in your legacy as a second master? That seems to make no logical sense to me.
Many players choose not to use the class storyline (or use it very selectively) in their RP. It makes no logical sense when interacting with dozens of other player characters, all of whom -also- have Darth Baras as their Master. Keeping the class story and personal RP separate (to an extent) makes those types of bizarre, head-scratching moments much rarer.

I'm personally finding the legacy tree of limited use. Given the option, I prefer to have long-lost brothers or angry rivals portrayed by other players, so my character can actually interact with them in an in-game RP setting to create narrative.

Darth_Moonshadow
04.21.2012 , 02:55 AM | #22
Because your Jedi Master is NOT your family?

Or did you forget the whole "don't have personal relationships" clause in your enlistment papers when you joined the academy? If you, A Jedi, have a son, another Jedi, you are not allowed to teach him because it would foster a relationship. And that's only if you are still allowed to be a Jedi when the Order found out you made a baby!
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post

And I love Darth Moonshadow's responses.
B

ZaRree
04.21.2012 , 03:53 AM | #23
First thing I hope they do is allow a character to have two parents, yeah i know weird right....
Secondly I would like to add more then one relationship between people, for example my sister is also my enemy.
Third add more choices/ write your own.

And of course u need to be able to share it somehow.

(maybe add something that effects anything via the family tree, dunno what though ^-^)

Forgon
04.21.2012 , 10:21 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by RebelWeasel View Post
OP, your post comes across as if it's nothing more than a selfish rant based on what you want specifically. I feel your pain, and understand the anger, but spewing it like cosmic space monkey poo at random passersby in a forum isn't really helping your case

Let's try to paraphrase what you're trying to get across:

I feel the Legacy System relationships are too limited. There are only 5 options, and many of them are too strict in definition to be suitable for the many many other types of relationships I could have. I'd like to see an ability to custom-name the types of relationships my character has within those 5 options. For instance, re-name a 'spouse' option to be 'mistress' or rename an 'ally' option to be 'student'.

If we had this ability, it woudl help us to have a much broader scope of relationships in our Role Play.

In addition I will add my own comment about the Legacy system:
I am having a hard time connecting my characters together, because it seems like it limits how many of each type of relationship I can have?

For instance, I have a main character with 2 siblings. I wanted to add some allies and enemies to that main character, but those slots are now grayed out and I'm only allowed to add a child or an adopted child. I can't even add a spouse now that I have two siblings.

I'm concerned that the system actually is telling me I can only be related to three other characters at a time. this doesn't make a lot of sense to me, there's tons of people out there in the real world with more than 2 siblings, so I would like to see if they can expand the actual relationship mechanics to allow more connections to a single character without the limitations and graying out on how many I'm "allowed".
I agree, there is a lot to expand.

To add to that, I would love to see us as player able to "link" our legacy trees. In essence, if we want to be siblings, a friend and I, we can and then when we click 'Y' we see both our trees updated with how it is set up (also, changes in a personal relationship between players needs mutual consent. If I don't want to be my friend's brother anymore for our rp and instead his rival, he and I would both have to agree to it through mail or something).

Otherwise, I am happy with it. It is a start and that is what is good about it. Now about those in-game character bios...
Quote: Originally Posted by milmo View Post
No, we need to rant on how this game is exactly like WoW and when we learn it's not like WoW we go into a blood rage. We must aim to be inconsistent, incoherent and contradictory.

DaWaffle
04.22.2012 , 12:07 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Moonshadow View Post

Or did you forget the whole "don't have personal relationships" clause in your enlistment papers when you joined the academy? If you, A Jedi, have a son, another Jedi, you are not allowed to teach him because it would foster a relationship. And that's only if you are still allowed to be a Jedi when the Order found out you made a baby!
And I suppose allies and rivals are in your family?

AbsolutGrndZero
04.22.2012 , 03:54 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Moonshadow View Post

Actually in this time period Jedi can get married and have children with permission from the Council. They just have to prove they can handle it first. Even in the time of Anakin... They told him no, what did he do? He eloped. Proving they were right, he did not have the maturity to handle the relationship.

Satele Shan? She's descended from Revan and Bastila. Both well respected, and no less respected cause they got married and had children.
The Babylon Legacy
Harbinger
Racquel, Stancerry, Jennica, Porcelain

Sotof
04.22.2012 , 03:59 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by DaWaffle View Post
OF COURSE!
My name is not Bob.

Letallis
04.24.2012 , 03:25 PM | #28
You know a new release is like your first girl friend. She ain't perfect but she's ok for the time being.

Think of it like that. This is just a start. So many folks rag about the game and the release. You could be sitting around playing Atari pong..

So roll with it. This is a great game and if folks pay attention there has been a lot of thought put into this entire thing. Not perfect but it is a blast to play.

Sacrmeno
04.25.2012 , 03:00 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Letallis View Post
You know a new release is like your first girl friend. She ain't perfect but she's ok for the time being.

Think of it like that. This is just a start. So many folks rag about the game and the release. You could be sitting around playing Atari pong..

So roll with it. This is a great game and if folks pay attention there has been a lot of thought put into this entire thing. Not perfect but it is a blast to play.
Agreed
Tharbine Valros, Mandolore's Chosen--Darth Xodrai Valros-- Captain Carturio Valros-

Darth_Moonshadow
04.28.2012 , 12:48 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by DaWaffle View Post
Allies are like your favorite siblings.

And Rivals are your in-laws.

Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post

And I love Darth Moonshadow's responses.
B