Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Legacy Family Tree... Is This A Joke

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Roleplaying
Legacy Family Tree... Is This A Joke

Freyrr's Avatar


Freyrr
04.14.2012 , 12:12 AM | #1
So they decided to give us a legacy family tree to connect all our characters and make us feel warm and fuzzy to be able to see our world. Now then I've got my master Jedi here and my... wait... HOW IS THERE NO MASTER APPRENTICE OPTION! Seriously BioWare what the hell were you thinking? We are talking Jedi and Sith here yet you don't give us any kind of master/apprentice option what so ever? It is bad enough the only family options you decided to give us are sibling and child/adopted child. I know that this is a little thing and the family tree really has no actual use but you could at least try and pretend like you put some though into this.

Also not to burst your bubble or anything but not everyone started with the parents. If I decide to go make my characters dear old dad then I shouldn't have to clear my tree and start with him since you only decided to give us a child option.

Now if you all will excuse me I'm off to decide if calling my Twi'lek daughter is gonna give her daddy issues.
Jade Company
Tyrr Voidbringer 50 Vanguard-The Legendary Captian Hiemdall Voidbringer 50 Gunslinger]Jormy 50 Sentina

Sydth's Avatar


Sydth
04.14.2012 , 12:39 AM | #2
for once i'd like to see people share their ideas in a constructive fashion without contempt and douchiness. I really hope the folks at bioware have a policy regarding messages like this which allow them to completely ignore it.
Aku'salaAloo'palakTaj'uga n'uri
Begeren Colony

“You seem about as trustworthy as a used-speeder salesman"
"Really? Most people find me harmless and kind of charming. Never mind."

Ireul's Avatar


Ireul
04.16.2012 , 10:23 AM | #3
Dude, just choose Ally. I wanted a "Friends with benefits" or a "Ex-boyfriend/ Ex-girlfriend" option but I didn't get it. So I chose "Ally" or "Rival" depending on how the relationship has played out in my head.

Seriously not a big deal. Get off your high horse and start using your creativity to solve problems as well as RP.
Everybody has got to die sometime, so stop squirming and make this easier for me.

RebelWeasel's Avatar


RebelWeasel
04.16.2012 , 04:51 PM | #4
OP, your post comes across as if it's nothing more than a selfish rant based on what you want specifically. I feel your pain, and understand the anger, but spewing it like cosmic space monkey poo at random passersby in a forum isn't really helping your case

Let's try to paraphrase what you're trying to get across:

I feel the Legacy System relationships are too limited. There are only 5 options, and many of them are too strict in definition to be suitable for the many many other types of relationships I could have. I'd like to see an ability to custom-name the types of relationships my character has within those 5 options. For instance, re-name a 'spouse' option to be 'mistress' or rename an 'ally' option to be 'student'.

If we had this ability, it woudl help us to have a much broader scope of relationships in our Role Play.


In addition I will add my own comment about the Legacy system:
I am having a hard time connecting my characters together, because it seems like it limits how many of each type of relationship I can have?

For instance, I have a main character with 2 siblings. I wanted to add some allies and enemies to that main character, but those slots are now grayed out and I'm only allowed to add a child or an adopted child. I can't even add a spouse now that I have two siblings.

I'm concerned that the system actually is telling me I can only be related to three other characters at a time. this doesn't make a lot of sense to me, there's tons of people out there in the real world with more than 2 siblings, so I would like to see if they can expand the actual relationship mechanics to allow more connections to a single character without the limitations and graying out on how many I'm "allowed".
My curiosity is stronger than your security measure.
Game Revolution Radio

Sydth's Avatar


Sydth
04.16.2012 , 09:04 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by RebelWeasel View Post
OP, your post comes across as if it's nothing more than a selfish rant based on what you want specifically. I feel your pain, and understand the anger, but spewing it like cosmic space monkey poo at random passersby in a forum isn't really helping your case

Let's try to paraphrase what you're trying to get across:

I feel the Legacy System relationships are too limited. There are only 5 options, and many of them are too strict in definition to be suitable for the many many other types of relationships I could have. I'd like to see an ability to custom-name the types of relationships my character has within those 5 options. For instance, re-name a 'spouse' option to be 'mistress' or rename an 'ally' option to be 'student'.

If we had this ability, it woudl help us to have a much broader scope of relationships in our Role Play.


In addition I will add my own comment about the Legacy system:
I am having a hard time connecting my characters together, because it seems like it limits how many of each type of relationship I can have?

For instance, I have a main character with 2 siblings. I wanted to add some allies and enemies to that main character, but those slots are now grayed out and I'm only allowed to add a child or an adopted child. I can't even add a spouse now that I have two siblings.

I'm concerned that the system actually is telling me I can only be related to three other characters at a time. this doesn't make a lot of sense to me, there's tons of people out there in the real world with more than 2 siblings, so I would like to see if they can expand the actual relationship mechanics to allow more connections to a single character without the limitations and graying out on how many I'm "allowed".
Thanks for that, RebelWeasel. And I didn't know about those limits either.

I'm interested in seeing more posts about how everyone has built their trees too. I think this is a GREAT place to start doing that too. Especially for Freyrr's sake.

I usually have two main characters on every game, one for each faction. Since swtor has so many sub-classes I wanted to try out all the different types of healers.

Twi'lek Sage < adversary > Sith pureblood Sorcerer
^.......................................^
sibling................................child
v........................................v
Twi'lek BH.........<Ally>.......Sith Smuggler

what I"m not able to add to this is making the BH and Smuggler Allies
Apparently we can't make a 'full circle' of relationships.
Aku'salaAloo'palakTaj'uga n'uri
Begeren Colony

“You seem about as trustworthy as a used-speeder salesman"
"Really? Most people find me harmless and kind of charming. Never mind."

Moondragon's Avatar


Moondragon
04.17.2012 , 02:02 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Sydth View Post
I'm interested in seeing more posts about how everyone has built their trees too. I think this is a GREAT place to start doing that too. Especially for Freyrr's sake.

Apparently we can't make a 'full circle' of relationships.
You can't really make full circles...no...which kiiiiinda sucks. I was about to actually type out my solution...but that would've been confusing...SO....

- What my original "Legacy" should have looked like.
If there's no line connected...they simply don't know each other and have no "immediate" relation. But as is in real life (and as such the pattern for many a movie), friends of friends/enemies QUICKLY become your own friends/enemies. So although my main doesn't necessarily know my Consular right now...it's only a matter of time before they come to know each other...and a new ally is born. As such, my Marauder's allies will quickly become my enemies. I think the only two that this doesn't apply to would be my BH & IO. I could go into detail, but I wanted to keep this to the point.

- What my Legacy workaround looks like.
In a round about way....i guess it make sense when comparing it to what I originally had in mind...but...ugh. It really doesn't capture relations well.
(side note: apparently indents and bullets don't work in this new forum layout yet )

I can't really answer why they won't let you change the names of the branches other then...maybe there's a possibility that those have to be named as such because there's going to be future tie-in's to each different legacy connection (ihope)? (i.e. siblings will eventually grant such-and-such. Allies will grant such-and-such. Rivals will cause such-and-such, etc.) But that does leave me wanting more
Dai'alastar Moondragon .
Jedi Guardian
Jung Ma • Looking for Guild

Listerman's Avatar


Listerman
04.17.2012 , 03:21 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Sydth View Post
for once i'd like to see people share their ideas in a constructive fashion without contempt and douchiness. I really hope the folks at bioware have a policy regarding messages like this which allow them to completely ignore it.
Ah, but where's the fun in that when some schmuck from Boise can't channel his inner Angry Video Game Nerd or get in touch with his TotalBiscuit instincts?
...Nah, I think I could live without that. Burn all the soapboxes.
"Never touch a Kel Dor's sammich."
"We're on a message board together. I'm already inclined to think you're a schmuck."

Sydth's Avatar


Sydth
04.18.2012 , 03:43 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Moondragon View Post
(side note: apparently indents and bullets don't work in this new forum layout yet )
yeah i had to sit here a moment and figure it out. had to use periods and color them ¬.¬

Twi'lek Sage < adversary > Sith pureblood Sorcerer
^.................................................. ....^
sibling...........................................child
v.................................................. ....v
Twi'lek BH.........<Ally>.......Sith Smuggler



Quote: Originally Posted by Listerman View Post
Ah, but where's the fun in that when some schmuck from Boise can't channel his inner Angry Video Game Nerd or get in touch with his TotalBiscuit instincts?
...Nah, I think I could live without that. Burn all the soapboxes.
Burn them all
Aku'salaAloo'palakTaj'uga n'uri
Begeren Colony

“You seem about as trustworthy as a used-speeder salesman"
"Really? Most people find me harmless and kind of charming. Never mind."

Wraloa_Craubo's Avatar


Wraloa_Craubo
04.18.2012 , 08:05 AM | #9
You realize this is Legacy System 1.0, right? Future updates are going to expand the Legacy system, and to think that the current 8 options provided will be the only ones for ever and ever is just shortsighted. Be patient, give it time, and for now, just select the closet approximation. I went with Adopted Child for my Master/Apprentice ties. Ally seems to be another popular choice.

I'd advise you to keep your future critiques as positive and constructive as possible. Nothing ever good came out of harsh language and slander
Penumbral | Jung Ma Server

Sydth's Avatar


Sydth
04.18.2012 , 10:03 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Wraloa_Craubo View Post
You realize this is Legacy System 1.0, right? Future updates are going to expand the Legacy system, and to think that the current 8 options provided will be the only ones for ever and ever is just shortsighted. Be patient, give it time, and for now, just select the closet approximation. I went with Adopted Child for my Master/Apprentice ties. Ally seems to be another popular choice.

I'd advise you to keep your future critiques as positive and constructive as possible. Nothing ever good came out of harsh language and slander

Thanks

I'm hoping you're only aiming this at the thread starter (Freyrr) and not the rest of us.
I don't think the thingy i pointed out is something to look forward to in future content. But rather something to be fixed in the future. How do I put this? At the moment I can't configure the tree to say that my enemy's brother is my daughter's ally.

it's just the tree im not compaining.

peace, love and burning soap boxes
Aku'salaAloo'palakTaj'uga n'uri
Begeren Colony

“You seem about as trustworthy as a used-speeder salesman"
"Really? Most people find me harmless and kind of charming. Never mind."