Some advice for future game developers

Epini

As this post seems likely to have no real impact on a game I had hopes for I have addressed it to the future.

I have 2 level 50's War Hero + rank with full BM gear ...PvPd Non-stop since before launch.

I am and always have been a PvP centered player and this game delivers the worst pvp I have ever played in an MMO

This was supposed to be an MMO. Its basically a console game with a fancy interface. There is no massive PvP. Thats good because when there was a little of it the engine could not handle it.

Endless WZs are not at all what i care or have ever cared for in an MMO. That is for Xbox. Not something I care for much either.

When in combat I prefer to actually fight. A mezz here and there that breaks on damage was not something I liked much but it was ok. The mezzfest that is this game is like *** where she pulls you out and gives your d*** a slap every third thr***.

I prefer long fights. The best MMO I ever played for PvP had the occasional solo 1 v 1 that could last several minutes.

This game has some great 15 to 20 second 1 v 1s...whoopie ding.

I prefer open world pvp and objectives. Slowly but surely they have gone about reducing and finally eliminating any incentive for that in the game. Oh sure you can try to organize something on the server..but since server pop has been dwindling the whole pop of the server would not really qualify as a good battle back in the day.

I like getting to know my opponents. Communication can develop great rivalries and long term friends to fight against. Not easily done available in this game. People worry about abusive tells...omgzrs...lol uhm there is an ignore button for the idiots ya know.

Lastly

1.2 is a complete joke when it comes to anything I am interested in for MMOs. Ok not completely..I do like the 2 buffs in one I get now. They even completely took out any reason to go to ilum and fight.

And as to longer fights...nope went the other way... they reduced pvp defense in relation to offense and reduced healing more than that.....so everyone is even faster to kill now...

so much for a good long fight...lucky if you even notice their name b4 its over now.

SO perhaps I'll continue to log in to hang with my longtime (8+years) guildies and friends...but only if I can stomach and not rant all the time about what an utter complete POS this MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER GAME is when it comes to PvP.

Devs I cant tell you how completely saddened I am to be posting this rant. It was the last thing I ever hoped to have to say about this game when I was looking forward to it eagerly for 3 years.

Look at my post and reverse engineer it and you will have a recipe for great long term healthy pvp in an MMO.

Edited by Epini

Nice post but I think in the future we as customer needs to be more critical before we begin paying a monthly fee. A lot of people unsubbed after patch 1.2, but I think we as customers needs to stop paying before that. A lot of problems with SWOTR has already been adressed for a long time and some things seemed like they were still in beta. Just look at Illum, wasted time to make for the developers and a catastrophy for having world pvp.

People needs to be able to recognize a game when it is not done, and not sub to it.

Then developers know that they cannot throw some half finished junk out on in the stores and just get the monthly payment until the people are too fed up.

As a customer I could wish for some kind of better information channel for each MMO before installing it on my HD. Searching for a MMO and avoid fake praises for a game, from the firm itself, pretending to be a neutral gamer is everywhere. Fanboys are all around us.

I'm completely signing this.

Theme park game is ok while you level. But for end-game, theme park drops the ball completely.

Doing dailies, repeatable content, grinding gear!!! is completely against the philosophy of this game. At least according to what devs used to say. They didn't want us to grind, but have fun. Guess what. This is the end-game for me - complete grind.

I have 2 Battlemasters myself and many other alts.

I wished this game had 2-3 end-game planets, with no exhaustion zones. Few not-protected starports. Areas to place buildings, housing, bases, labs ... or whatever. Something that gives us the feeling that it is worth defending and fighting for.

I want to GEAR UP to PvP, and not PvP in order to GEAR UP (and fight in small WZ areas with 8v8).

Open World PvP seems even more distant now. And I'm starting to think that I should cancel my 3 accounts, and move on to GW2 or something with better PvP in it.

I was waiting for this game for 3 years. I didn't want to be disappointed. But I can't fool myself anymore.

Well said Das.. and yes I kinda knew all this in beta..I subbed and crossed my fingers that improvements would come...my guild had committed to doing this a couple years before launch. The one thing this game did was bring us all back together for another run. That has been worth the money to me.

But sadly it's pretty much the worst pvp game I have ever played.

You make a big flashy point about it being a "MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE" game, then fill your post with the words 'I LIKE" over and over and over. Your advice to future game developers is then, "build only what I like"? Perhaps you dont actually understand the term "Massively Multiplayer?

If you arent happy with a game that is 4 months old, and you dont have the patience to see how the Dev's make changes in the coming months and years, shut up and take a hike. No ones forcing you to stay here. Devleoping patches and changes takes time, so stop being so melodramatic. There are plenty of games out there that have years of devleopment under their belts, and none of them started out perfect. Be patient, or head back to one of those. Reading posts like this is like having a direct link to an overly eloquent 6 year olds ego-driven mind. All "me, me, me" and no patience.

Thing is, he's not only saying the PvP in this game is bollocks now, he's saying it's gonna stay like that forever. Not because they need more time, but because they have the completely wrong attitude towards it. And you know what... He's absolutely right.

He's allowed to state his own opinion, and every person except you has agreed with him so far. So that doesn't make it a "ME ME ME" thread anymore, it makes it a "WE WE WE" thread.

Edited by hrvojes

You make a big flashy point about it being a "MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE" game, then fill your post with the words 'I LIKE" over and over and over. Your advice to future game developers is then, "build only what I like"? Perhaps you dont actually understand the term "Massively Multiplayer?

If you arent happy with a game that is 4 months old, and you dont have the patience to see how the Dev's make changes in the coming months and years, shut up and take a hike. No ones forcing you to stay here. Devleoping patches and changes takes time, so stop being so melodramatic. There are plenty of games out there that have years of devleopment under their belts, and none of them started out perfect. Be patient, or head back to one of those. Reading posts like this is like having a direct link to an overly eloquent 6 year olds ego-driven mind. All "me, me, me" and no patience.

First of all - that is the point of a game - people to like it. It is not a bad thing to wish that.

Second, are you suggesting that when something is wrong with the game, we just shut up and not point to the problems? Do you think that will help to improve the game?

PvErs have FPs, HM FPs and Ops

PvPrs have WZ, no ranked WZ, and no Open World PvP

You can see the comparison yourself.

Force all the PvE folks to play only 4 flashpoints in Story Mode, remove Hardmodes and make Ops not available. Then you'll see an outcry. Why PvPers shouldn't complain?

Oh buddy..like I said I knew this in beta.. I "hoped" they would make improvements.

I hate having to post this. I did say what "I" liked and wanted.

I'm quite sure I am not the only one.

I watched hours of the guildmaster meeting looking for clues to the mindset of the devs.

It was clear that not only do they not share my likes and dislikes they actually despise the type of game i hoped for. This patch was a step away from the changes I hoped for.

When they dismissively say that "open world is the wild west". or say "you were lucky you even got "say" chat with the other side....

It's pretty clear that their vision for pvp is far across the spectrum from what I hoped for.

They are fully WZ focused 8 v 8 mini games. The need for fast deaths in order to make objective taking possible in a 10 minute game... 10 minutes?? i literally used to have 1V1 that lasted longer than that.

Yes the WZs are fun and well made.. I do like them.. but not as a main game focus

----------------------

I'll be here for my guild .. my friends.. if it were just me I'd have gone months ago.

---------------------

Sadly I will tell you the future for this game.

Without drastic changes in vision it is about to die. PvP is only one of the problems this game has. Perhaps not the worst one as a commercial interest goes.

Because this "I" centered post is indicative of thousands of other "I"s

Edited by Epini

Ok, perhaps I attacked more than I should have. The point I'm trying to make, is that that no person or company can answer the "I wants" of thousands of people in a manner that is A. going to please everyone and B. what those poeple will consider a timely fashion. Give them time. Hang out with your firends and enjoy what parts of the game you can. Be patient. And dont expect a game that has to cater to the desires of millions to cater specifically to you or even one subset of those millions. At least not at first. 4 months makes this game still in its infancy.

As this post seems likely to have no real impact on a game I had hopes for I have addressed it to the future.

I have 2 level 50's War Hero + rank with full BM gear ...PvPd Non-stop since before launch.

I am and always have been a PvP centered player and this game delivers the worst pvp I have ever played in an MMO

Endless WZs are not at all what i care or have ever cared for in an MMO. That is for Xbox. Not something I care for much either.

Your points make no sense mate you claim to be a pvp player at heart and have 2 WH´s ?! yet still you can´t stomach endless WZs that are in the worst OWpvp game ever ... like *** either you´re really clueless or you just rant random stuff without thinking. Just stop playing ?

And when you title a thread make the content actually about the title not a hissyfit about things that bother you which is basicly everything in game.

Now i´m not saying that 1.2 isn´t the worst patch ever (which it is) conserning PVP but pre 1.2 this game was actually pretty good in terms of pvp balance you struggled against some classes and won easily against some but a good player rarely got stomped by inferior player no matter the class.

Instead of making personal attacks on people posting, why don't you explain why this game according to you is worth paying for?

And why are you making a personal attack in the first place? From what I am reading from your post it sounds more like we all should have the same attitude as you. It is ok that you want to defend the game, and I am not calling you out as a fanboy.

I also know a lot of MMO sometimes consist of a hardcore fanbase, that take a critiscm of the game they are playing like a religious person would on his religion.

Yes the game is not that old yet, but I think people are also considering the firm behind it. Is it a big firm with a big name. I would say it's not under the category amateur firm, so people as a result expect a professional product. A lot of people feel they have been cheated from the early promises from the devs. Both about the open pvp "Illum" none existent to other features. People also feel a lack of endgame content, and this has actually nothing to do with it being a new game. The devs should ofc develop the game as the playbase is progressing. In this case it feels like SWOTR was a beta and the devs are trying to catch up, which I personally wouldn't expect from a strong brand like Bioware.

So yes people being dissapointed about the seemingly untested patches etc. are only understandable.

However people like you who thinks everything is just dandy compared to how old the game is, should ofc also be able to make their statement. However you personally assaulting other people does not really leave serious impact on anyone. Quite the opposite frankly. People would think that it's only people who are unable to discuss matters in a mature way without making personal assault, who are pro this game in it's current state.

Instead of making personal attacks on people posting, why don't you explain why this game according to you is worth paying for?

And why are you making a personal attack in the first place? From what I am reading from your post it sounds more like we all should have the same attitude as you. It is ok that you want to defend the game, and I am not calling you out as a fanboy.

I also know a lot of MMO sometimes consist of a hardcore fanbase, that take a critiscm of the game they are playing like a religious person would on his religion.

Yes the game is not that old yet, but I think people are also considering the firm behind it. Is it a big firm with a big name. I would say it's not under the category amateur firm, so people as a result expect a professional product. A lot of people feel they have been cheated from the early promises from the devs. Both about the open pvp "Illum" none existent to other features. People also feel a lack of endgame content, and this has actually nothing to do with it being a new game. The devs should ofc develop the game as the playbase is progressing. In this case it feels like SWOTR was a beta and the devs are trying to catch up, which I personally wouldn't expect from a strong brand like Bioware.

So yes people being dissapointed about the seemingly untested patches etc. are only understandable.

However people like you who thinks everything is just dandy compared to how old the game is, should ofc also be able to make their statement. However you personally assaulting other people does not really leave serious impact on anyone. Quite the opposite frankly. People would think that it's only people who are unable to discuss matters in a mature way without making personal assault, who are pro this game in it's current state.

lol, look up 2 posts, buddy. I already admitted I shouldnt have attacked =)

Or for really elite small squads that move fast and hit hard :cool:

Right ones that will fight bad PvPers and Zergers. No challenge or competition there. I've doe it in DAoC while fun at times, not really, real competitive PvP.

Ok, perhaps I attacked more than I should have. The point I'm trying to make, is that that no person or company can answer the "I wants" of thousands of people in a manner that is A. going to please everyone and B. what those poeple will consider a timely fashion. Give them time. Hang out with your firends and enjoy what parts of the game you can. Be patient. And dont expect a game that has to cater to the desires of millions to cater specifically to you or even one subset of those millions. At least not at first. 4 months makes this game still in its infancy.

As you stated earlier there's a lot of games out there, so why would anyone give them time?

I would not throw money into a game that at many points feels like a beta version of a game. Especially considering how strong a firm is behind it, they should have enough money to be able to come out with a product that doesn't make people quit in large hordes.

You also have to consider what name the game carries, Star Wars, the name alone is expensive to use. So ofc a lot of people were hoping for a better game as they see now.

I personally unsubbed, because I am having trouble to see the Biowares visions for this game, but a meager wow copy, just with pew pew and light sabers. I hoped for new ideas from a firm as Bioware.

One thing I really liked was the storyline, it was one aspect of the game I found was well produced. I am not really into reading a lot and watching a lot of cutscenes. But these were well made, with a nice pinch of humour. But coming down to that, A single player game like Skyrim or Fallout seem like a better choice.

Which ultimately brought me to the conclusion that it was time for me to unsub. If you still enjoy the game and feel it is your money worth, then by all means invest in what you feel like can entertain you.

As you stated earlier there's a lot of games out there, so why would anyone give them time?

Because you like the over all feel of the game, the story and where it can go.. and you're sick to death of Elves and Dragons?

Crazy I know right? I mean to like something and wanting it to grow because you like it.. I mean just insane.