Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is my spec too weak for this game???

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Is my spec too weak for this game???

TSLlolz
12.17.2011 , 05:31 AM | #1
I'm getting between 10 and 40 FPS on basically ANY settings, even with 8x AA or no AA...

My specs are:
Intel I5-760 @2.8Ghz (quad)
ATI 5770 1gb
4gb Kingston RAM @1333Mhz
Windows 7 64-bit

MarcusTones
12.17.2011 , 05:34 AM | #2
You should be good to go, although I have heard of some ATI problems. I don't know any solutions, though. I'm not as familiar with that brand.

TSLlolz
12.17.2011 , 05:36 AM | #3
damn it, I'm out of ideas on how to tweak the game to make it actually playable...

how much FPS should I be getting if it were working well?

Gunko
12.17.2011 , 05:38 AM | #4
i think changing video settings are not working. i change it gets worse when i change to low meduim

Weng
12.17.2011 , 05:41 AM | #5
Turning off shadows will help alot!

Amarinth
12.17.2011 , 05:50 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Weng View Post
Turning off shadows will help alot!
Yep this is the first thing I would recommend, especially if you're having issues with massive FPS loss inside buildings (places like cantina's and such are some of the worst).

The soft shadows and lighting effects (from setting Shadows to High) are really intensive and they only seem to be used in some very specific places and it's there that the cards that can't keep up start shedding FPS big time (my GTX 470 can only just keep up, it's at 55-60fps but with 100% GPU useage!).

With shadows set to Low it should be better but they are still pretty intensive indoors. If you use a program to monitor your GPU useage (like MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision), have a look and see if your GPU is running at 100% or close to it in the areas where you're having trouble. If it is, then at least you're GPU bound (and not CPU bound from the area being crowded with people), but that means you need to tweak some of the graphics settings down. Shadows Off and Bloom Off would be two of the first things to try in that case.

Alternatively if you're having trouble outdoors, in addition to the Shadows setting, you can also mess around with the "Grass Quality" slider (grass quality basically just determines the density of the grass). Try setting this to a much lower value like 10-30% (I've found 30% is actually still pretty dense) to reduce the number of blades of grass your graphics card has to render.
We all have our heroes. And when we watch them fall, we die inside...

TSLlolz
12.17.2011 , 05:51 AM | #7
yeah, changing the video settings don't do anything for me either... I get the same FPS on any settings.

Also I don't think the game is using enough CPU power. It's normally around 20% CPU usage...

I actually get this FPS with shadows turned off... Even with low shadows my game falls below 10 FPS...

I'm really out of ideas to tweak the game to get it to atleast a playable state....

UncleJimbo
12.17.2011 , 05:57 AM | #8
I would have to say it probably a video card problem.
I have a nVidia and I am on full with no problems and goo FPS; not to mention that I play in window (borderless) mode.

My rig is not top of the branch:

I7 860
nVidia 460 GTX OC
12 gigs of RAM (4gigs should do the job just fine)
7200RPM HDD (will switch to SSD 80k IOPS soon)

Edit: wrong video card model :P

TSLlolz
12.17.2011 , 06:12 AM | #9
Is there some kind of ATI tweak for the game or something??

Someone please help me, I can't believe the game is performing so badly that I get 20 FPS on average without shadows ((

TSLlolz
12.17.2011 , 06:21 AM | #10
Oh, I've actually (just to try it out) set the shadow quality to high, and I STILL get the same FPS. ANY SETTINGS give me between 10 and 40 FPS (20FPS average...) *** is this???