Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Guild Minimum Age Req


Senul's Avatar


Senul
04.13.2012 , 09:01 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by imnotawitch View Post
Every 18+ guild/group I've been in has had the same reason for their age restriction. If you're under 18, there can be legal ramifications for swearing/saying suggestive language in the same chat as you.
Thats stupid, especially since most highschool you see have more swearing/suggestive language than you'll ever hear over vent or anything.
[Jung Ma] Remnants of Hope --Senful Sendari
"Light From A Few Can Be A Beacon To Many"
www.remnantsofhope.com

jezekat's Avatar


jezekat
04.13.2012 , 09:03 AM | #12
I like age adult guilds for a few reasons
1. I can talk however I want I donít have to worry about what I say.
2. I donít have to worry about playfully flirting with someone and them being 16 and feeling like a pedo bear.
3. I like talking with older adult 25 plus a lot of them have kids and understand people have real lives.
4. Yes there are 17 year olds that act like they are 30 and 30 year olds that act like they are 17 but chances are they are going to act about their age.
5. I have been in guilds made for everyone and guilds made for adults in adult guild there tends to be less drama, less emo little brats.
6. I like when people use WORDS not l33t. I find the older the adults the less that chat talk.

MastaZannah's Avatar


MastaZannah
04.13.2012 , 09:08 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Senul View Post
Thats stupid, especially since most highschool you see have more swearing/suggestive language than you'll ever hear over vent or anything.
Ethics my friend, ethics. Different people have different morals. I believe maturity is partly the ability to respect that fact and the people whom have different views.

Not to judge him/her as I don't know them, but by their response it seems like they just don't like the idea of influencing young people in what they consider to be an immoral way. Possibly a maternal instinct, also possibly just respect for the individual- and that I gather because I believe similarly. I don't talk like I did when I was in High School around younger kids or seniors.
Lost his pants, Obi Wan has. How embarrassing!
Teach him, I cannot. IQ of 30 has he. Hangs upside-down in ice caves.
You might be a redneck jedi if you knew Leia was your sister the whole time

MastaZannah's Avatar


MastaZannah
04.13.2012 , 09:16 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by jezekat View Post
I like age adult guilds for a few reasons
1. I can talk however I want I donít have to worry about what I say.
2. I donít have to worry about playfully flirting with someone and them being 16 and feeling like a pedo bear.
3. I like talking with older adult 25 plus a lot of them have kids and understand people have real lives.
4. Yes there are 17 year olds that act like they are 30 and 30 year olds that act like they are 17 but chances are they are going to act about their age.
5. I have been in guilds made for everyone and guilds made for adults in adult guild there tends to be less drama, less emo little brats.
6. I like when people use WORDS not l33t. I find the older the adults the less that chat talk.
According to your 4th reason, you also believe there are exceptions to the age directly influencing maturity generalization. Why restrict the few people who are mature from joining because of the silliness of their peers?

As an extreme example, that's akin to convicting an entire group of people for a crime that one member committed; because as similar beings, they're potentially going to commit it as well.
Lost his pants, Obi Wan has. How embarrassing!
Teach him, I cannot. IQ of 30 has he. Hangs upside-down in ice caves.
You might be a redneck jedi if you knew Leia was your sister the whole time

SweetOldBob's Avatar


SweetOldBob
04.13.2012 , 09:25 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by MastaZannah View Post
First, a little about me. Contrary to some of my other posts (at this point, lying about my age is just what I'm used to... and has become a bad habit) I'm a 17 year old guy.. but I'm here to 1, have fun (which doesn't involve immaturity per say)
Dude! It's per se. It's latin.

FWIW, I'm 57 and not all that comfortable with age-limited guilds. There are plenty reasonable enough teenagers, plenty of whiny, immature 40-somethings.
Sometimes you have to roll a hard six.

Obed, lvl 50 VR 83 Commando,
Dothan, lvl 50 VR 74 Sentinel

MastaZannah's Avatar


MastaZannah
04.13.2012 , 09:31 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by SweetOldBob View Post
Dude! It's per se. It's latin.

FWIW, I'm 57 and not all that comfortable with age-limited guilds. There are plenty reasonable enough teenagers, plenty of whiny, immature 40-somethings.
Ha, wow my bad.

Thanks for the feedback! I just wanted my opinion out there. It would be nice to not be set into a group because of a generalization.

There are exceptions to almost everything, so why not try the "innocent until proven guilty" mindset? If someone proves immature, remove them. But give the rest of us a chance?
Lost his pants, Obi Wan has. How embarrassing!
Teach him, I cannot. IQ of 30 has he. Hangs upside-down in ice caves.
You might be a redneck jedi if you knew Leia was your sister the whole time

jezekat's Avatar


jezekat
04.13.2012 , 09:39 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by MastaZannah View Post
According to your 4th reason, you also believe there are exceptions to the age directly influencing maturity generalization. Why restrict the few people who are mature from joining because of the silliness of their peers?

As an extreme example, that's akin to convicting an entire group of people for a crime that one member committed; because as similar beings, they're potentially going to commit it as well.
A person like you say you are is few and far between. And if I was a guild leader I donít want all the work of weeding threw people. So it is easier me and my guild just to set guild lines. They make for less work less drama and more fun.

Calistea's Avatar


Calistea
04.13.2012 , 09:47 AM | #18
As a parent I wouldn't want my child in any mmo unsupervised until at least 16 and then only if they were involved with people I knew and trusted. Even at 18 you're only an adult in numbers and you have a LOT of growing up time to do.

I prefer age restricted guilds myself as I find that this is my escape time and I don't want to have to worry that I'm corrupting or upsetting someones child, much less have to deal with the inevitable temper tantrum that always comes with most players under 21. Nor do I want to find myself standing in as parent when 'yours' fail to notice your behavior or the fact that you're on line at omg-o'clock.

You have a valid point OP but you're going to find that most people really don't feel comfortable with the restrictions that playing with younger gamers puts on us. An example, when Second Life merged the Teen Grid with the 'Regular' grid. They put safeguards in place to keep younger users out of some areas and this failed horribly. You find, should you log in there that now you are not at all comfortable with an adult RP situation unless you see a valid photo id first. Now not all servers are RP, and not all people do things of a sexual nature in mmos, but even causal flirting becomes creepy when you could be the parent/grandparent of the person you find yourself talking to.

Also as a parent, where ARE the parents of most of these kids, I have a schedule that lets me play late in to the night and early morning and I can name at least 5 under 20 who are still in school and are still on at 3am or later on school nights.

I'm 39 and my generation was supposedly raised by television, gods helps us all if this generation is raised by computers and the internet. Granted it would explain a lot of the behavior I've seen in all the ones I've played. ( The Realm (bet no one remembers that one) to UO to DAOC to COH/COV to WOW to EQ II and back to WOW, so I've seen a lot of younger players and I've seen a lot of why people want age restricted guilds. Yes, it's exclusionary and may seem unfair but guess what darlin, life isn't fair.

Diopter's Avatar


Diopter
04.13.2012 , 09:53 AM | #19
I would much rather be in a guild of mature players, and preferably those players being over 18, as I can use my colorful language and sexual remarks without having to hold my tongue/fingers. What it really comes down to is respecting those in your guild, and the guild itself. Not everyone will be ok with everything you do, but it's easier to have a conversation with a more mature person about an issue than with (most) teenagers.

I feel that when you're in a guild, and you're wearing the guild tag, you're representing said guild. This is why I choose not to trash-talk or create conflicts with random people, as I want to uphold the image of my guild. When I see others saying, "wow, you suck," or, "you're an idiot, why didn't you (insert action here)," I get a bad taste in my mouth for that player, and it makes me not want to associate with whatever guild they're in, as it paints a bad picture for the rest of their members, and more often than not, it's a true portrait.

Age doesn't always have everything to do with being mature, but it helps to weed the immature out more. In the end, just don't be a douche!
Diopter
SWG:Shadowfire - SWTOR:The Bastion
Forever Smuggling

Kimyrielle's Avatar


Kimyrielle
04.13.2012 , 09:56 AM | #20
I'd never join a guild NOT having an age requirement of at least 18. The "kids can be mature" crowd is completely missing the point. Yes, kids can be NICE. They can't be MATURE. Maturity isn't about the absence of rude language or Chuck Norris jokes. It's about experience in life. I am 40 years old. I will tell you a secret - I don't want to chat with my guildies about high school, teachers and clubbing. Those topics stopped being remotely interesting for me one or two decades ago. I will talk about work life, running a household, being a parent and stuff like that - which a person under 18 CAN'T have any clue or interest about. That's why I prefer to be in a community with other people in my age bracket. And that's the point behind age requirements and not that people can keep their language in check.