Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Guild Minimum Age Req

MastaZannah
04.13.2012 , 08:10 AM | #1
First, a little about me. Contrary to some of my other posts (at this point, lying about my age is just what I'm used to... and has become a bad habit) I'm a 17 year old guy who wants to meet like-minded people around the world. I have no problem behaving like a mature adult, because honestly my experiences so far in life have added up (in my own and others' opinions) to a maturity beyond my age.

Now, I totally understand that there ARE some very young kids who like to game, and that some are rather annoying (trust me, I played Runescape for 9 years).

But the responses of the Adult community, while understandable, are not all the fair in my opinion.

I find myself having to constantly lie about my age to get into an "adult only" guild setting because over the course of 4-5 different MMOs I've been denied access to the most prestigious guilds for being honest.

I'll be the first to say I have my immature moments, just like every other young adult... but I'm here to 1, have fun (which doesn't involve immaturity per say), 2, meet new people, and 3, make progress in-game with friends.

I'm dedicated, loyal, and active. I try my best to be myself while at the same time expanding my awareness of how my actions affect others.

It's... frustrating and makes me feel guilty to have to lie to people I want to become friends with in order to be accepted by them.

MMOs are all about being social! Hence the name.

,.~^~.,

I dislike complaining as well, so just so everyone knows, this thread was created purely for responses from the 18+ community on my opinions and thoughts. I would love to hear constructive feedback on my predicament and whatever else comes to mind.

I will be 18 in less than 2 months, but I was recently told to wait the remaining time before I could apply to a guild I've wanted to join.
Lost his pants, Obi Wan has. How embarrassing!
Teach him, I cannot. IQ of 30 has he. Hangs upside-down in ice caves.
You might be a redneck jedi if you knew Leia was your sister the whole time

KorinHyvek
04.13.2012 , 08:19 AM | #2
Frankly, Age requirements are stupid. I think we've all met adults who are less mature than some of your high school class mates were. It's just that Age requirements are a shorthand for weeding out people who want to join (Although, frankly, you're getting people who are over the age requirement, which doesn't tell you much, and people who are under it and lied to you, which is a minor black mark against them).

And, I have to ask, what do these people mean by maturity? No Trash Talking? Never indulges in a little bit of silliness? Will show up regularly to scheduled events (actually seems easier for younger people, because RL will have less surprises for them)?

imnotawitch
04.13.2012 , 08:21 AM | #3
Every 18+ guild/group I've been in has had the same reason for their age restriction. If you're under 18, there can be legal ramifications for swearing/saying suggestive language in the same chat as you.

Tareel
04.13.2012 , 08:25 AM | #4
As a 40 year old adult, I will tell you why I support age requirements: I don't have to watch my mouth. You may think this is a little thing. But I try my hardest to not cuss or use adult oriented humor around children. Call me old fashioned (and yes I know you hear worse in school, I did too), but you do not need to be hearing it from my mouth and I do not want to have to waste time making sure everyone is of age before I tell an off color joke. This to me is the only reason for age requirements, as adults can (and probably are) be less mature than some 17 year olds.
This space blank.

JLapp
04.13.2012 , 08:38 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by MastaZannah View Post
But the responses of the Adult community, while understandable, are not all the fair in my opinion.
Shocking...a 17 year old kid complaining about what is "fair."

MastaZannah
04.13.2012 , 08:38 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by KorinHyvek View Post
And, I have to ask, what do these people mean by maturity? No Trash Talking? Never indulges in a little bit of silliness? Will show up regularly to scheduled events (actually seems easier for younger people, because RL will have less surprises for them)?
Well, I think the meaning of maturity varies between the different games. For example, in Runescape I led a council of 4 people, who in turn led a group of guilds (in that game known as clans) with roughly 2.5k total individuals as part of it. We had a major problem with childish arguments occurring quite a lot. Silly things like personal disagreements over who was the best "god" in the game actually becoming so disproportionate that myself and the other heads of the union had to break up (and that was a very bad problem because for the very same reason that the kids respected us- rising to the point of leading that large a group; it also meant that we had many more important issues to deal with).

Now there's a fair example of extreme immaturity, but rare to find in the respected and more expensive game like this. I'm not so sure why they're worried about it.

In major games like SWTOR, I almost never find a group of people who have any problems with maturity at all. Yes you find the occasional troll, but I doubt that comes down to age... more or less just a general dissatisfaction.

Point being-

I can only speculate; I really don't have a good answer to that as I'm not an adult leader of an adult-only guild. Hopefully one of those people will decide to post and explain their reasoning.

So can anyone answer the question? What does maturity mean? (specifically pertaining to the MMO community)

BawsHogg
04.13.2012 , 08:41 AM | #7
you have played runescape since you were 8????

do you not have parents?

MastaZannah
04.13.2012 , 08:50 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Tareel View Post
As a 40 year old adult, I will tell you why I support age requirements: I don't have to watch my mouth. You may think this is a little thing. But I try my hardest to not cuss or use adult oriented humor around children. Call me old fashioned (and yes I know you hear worse in school, I did too), but you do not need to be hearing it from my mouth and I do not want to have to waste time making sure everyone is of age before I tell an off color joke. This to me is the only reason for age requirements, as adults can (and probably are) be less mature than some 17 year olds.
That's a legitimate reason. However, could there be an alternative to filtering that way? Why not in the guild application, just give a warning that the conversations that may or may not occur could contain adult language?

Just as an example, children choose to watch TV-MA shows (South Park, Tosh.0, etc). They can't blame the show for ruining their innocence, it was their choice to watch it. The simple fact that there was a warning about it (even in fine print- it wouldn't matter) would protect if not justify the adults responsible for the content.

Yes, I realize that for many people, it just isn't acceptable no matter what the circumstances to do something you consider to be unethical.

So I have one question. What difference is there between a 17 year old with under 2 months to go till 18, and 18 itself? (keeping in mind that the 18 years of age= adult law does not exist world-wide).

MastaZannah
04.13.2012 , 08:52 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by BawsHogg View Post
you have played runescape since you were 8????

do you not have parents?
Actually since I was 7, I stopped early last year. And what do parents have to do with it?

Sauska
04.13.2012 , 08:56 AM | #10
I've been in guilds with and without age restrictions. Tbh, my fondest memories are of the 30+ guild in WoW I was an officer in. Obviously we had an age restriction, 30 or older, though we made some exceptions for people 25+. The age restriction had nothing to do with a maturity requirement. It did however provide a refreshing guildchat, with like-minded people more or less at the same stage in life, i.e. having jobs, families, responsibilities in general versus students or even younger ones. And when on Friday night, oldskool raid night, many of us got pleasantly boozy and the guildchat turned highly X-rated, at least there weren't young ones around to learn from bad examples
The Borealis Legacy