Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Which lightsaber style do you prefer?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Which lightsaber style do you prefer?

Cupa's Avatar


Cupa
12.17.2011 , 01:48 AM | #1
Which lightsaber style do you think is most effective, both defensively and offensively? If you were to choose your personal preference in a "real life" situation which type would you choose? (double bladed, single handed etc.)

Dreamsinger's Avatar


Dreamsinger
12.17.2011 , 02:00 AM | #2
In real life I practice swordsmanship, and I use both single blade and two blades it just depends on the situation. a double-bladed would such in hallways and small rooms you would collapse roofs all the time
There is a special place in Hell for Forum Flamers, right next Child Molesters and those who talk in the theatre.

Disastersaurus's Avatar


Disastersaurus
12.17.2011 , 10:27 AM | #3
Well, here's the thing.

In real life, dual-wielding is an impractical method of combat because of three factors: weight, defensive weakness, and inflexibility. Against someone with a shield, you had pretty much a huge disadvantage, and you couldn't put enough weight behind your swings to break their guard because you'd need to two-hand swing for that.

For this reason, in real life and in most medieval-based games, I don't like the dual-wielding aesthetic.

Lightsabers, however, very much circumvent these flaws. Due to their weight being in the hilt and the gyroscopic effect, it's easy to maintain their momentum. Their ability to deflect blaster fire and how easily they can be whirled gives them great defense. The applications of the forms and Trakata [turning the blade on/off mid-combat] offers flexibility.

As a result, I love the idea of a defensive-oriented dual wielding style, Soresu/Makashi blend, alternating between forward and reverse grips to strengthen the one-handed defense.

Snowwolfy's Avatar


Snowwolfy
12.17.2011 , 11:12 AM | #4
Ashoka Tano style probably is the best - 1 normal lightsaber + 1 dagger-type lightsaber, I would prefet that in real life myself
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

CrymzenSith's Avatar


CrymzenSith
12.17.2011 , 11:16 AM | #5
Jedi Sentinel-Level 50

Celestry's Avatar


Celestry
12.17.2011 , 12:38 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Snowwolfy View Post
Ashoka Tano style probably is the best - 1 normal lightsaber + 1 dagger-type lightsaber, I would prefet that in real life myself
Have to admit her updated style when they aged her last season is really cool. But not in the game. I also like her reverse grip style in her main hand, again not in the game that I have seen.

Caleb_Hex's Avatar


Caleb_Hex
12.17.2011 , 12:41 PM | #7
With respect and good-naturedness, in my studies, I would say Musashi would disagree.

Quote: Originally Posted by Disastersaurus View Post
Well, here's the thing.

In real life, dual-wielding is an impractical method of combat because of three factors: weight, defensive weakness, and inflexibility. Against someone with a shield, you had pretty much a huge disadvantage, and you couldn't put enough weight behind your swings to break their guard because you'd need to two-hand swing for that.

For this reason, in real life and in most medieval-based games, I don't like the dual-wielding aesthetic.

Lightsabers, however, very much circumvent these flaws. Due to their weight being in the hilt and the gyroscopic effect, it's easy to maintain their momentum. Their ability to deflect blaster fire and how easily they can be whirled gives them great defense. The applications of the forms and Trakata [turning the blade on/off mid-combat] offers flexibility.

As a result, I love the idea of a defensive-oriented dual wielding style, Soresu/Makashi blend, alternating between forward and reverse grips to strengthen the one-handed defense.
Time doesn't fly... it explodes.

Aarcher's Avatar


Aarcher
12.17.2011 , 05:35 PM | #8
Form V: The same style as Anakin Skywalker used in the prequels either that or Sorensu (Form III) that Obi Wan used.

Single lightsaber with a Shoto back up just in case I ever had to fight someone that used a lightwhip.
Han Solo: “You’ve never heard of the Millennium Falcon? … It’s the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs.”
Darth Vader: “When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master.”
Obi-Wan Kenobi “Only a master of evil, Darth.”

JackEpical's Avatar


JackEpical
12.17.2011 , 06:13 PM | #9
Vaapad. Although it was created far after the time of TOR, I like how Windu fights.
PATCH 1.1 RISE OF THE RAKGHOULS: We thought we got rid of them on Taris, we were wrong.

Rhyltran's Avatar


Rhyltran
12.17.2011 , 06:35 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Caleb_Hex View Post
With respect and good-naturedness, in my studies, I would say Musashi would disagree.
No he wouldn't. Musashi used two swords against multiple inferior opponents. He used a single sword when facing the very best opponents. Musashi taught to master a blade in each hand so you would have superior control and mastery when using a single blade with both hands.