Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bioware why the ninja nerf to death from above?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Bioware why the ninja nerf to death from above?

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

CameronWinston
04.12.2012 , 12:38 PM | #21 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Damage from Death From Above should not be any different in this patch. All that was adjusted was the radius of the effect. Damage is applied faster now (every .5 second instead of every second) but the overall damage is the same.

Splaktar
04.12.2012 , 12:45 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Galvatron View Post
You reduced the radius of Death form Above which was fine but now you ninja nerfed the damage by 30-40%. PLEASE EXPLAIN YOURSELF.
How did you test this? NPCs or training dummies?

Testing in WZs doesn't make sense because you don't know how much expertise your target has. Many players who ran with 0 expertise, now have easy access to Recruit gear (for some credits) that has a lot of expertise. Thus your offensive abilities will hit for a lot less because you won't be fighting many people with 0 expertise anymore at lvl 50.
Splaktar - Arsenal Mercenary [50] - Master Armormech (UT/Slicing)
Samas - Engineering Sniper [42] - Armstech (Scavenging/Investigation)
Pak'Cafan - Jedi Covenant

Sillenna
04.12.2012 , 01:10 PM | #23
How is reduction in radius of DoA fine?!

5meter from 8.... that's HUGE difference, and reasoning behind 'to bring it in line with other BH AoE abilities...'.
Seriously.. what a bull.
DoA has big CD.

Now, when leveling my BH, DoA is really useless. It can hit 3, sometimes whole 3 normal mobs, but after 1st hit, they are all knocked back, and then I'm lucky in next hits hit 2 mobs.
Annoying like hell.

Panzzer
04.12.2012 , 02:18 PM | #24
Honestly, I realise that I am totally biased as I am an arsenal merc, however I feel that the nerf was not necessary. DfA was completely situational, it did very little dmg to grps less than 3 people. Also the 1 min CD meant that rarely was it ever used. When it did do tons of dmg was when grp of 4-5 people randomly stacked in pvp. Which is good, that's a situation where it should be used and made my class abilities mean something.

My second point was that I do not think this change was noted anywhere. I may be wrong but I do not rmbr seeing this in the patch notes. All changes to the game should be addressed in the notes, if they aren't I feel rather cheated.
PANZER
Ministry of Defence

Bobbisoko
04.12.2012 , 02:25 PM | #25
As a powertech I hardly used DFA in pvp anyway due to the cooldown and that players often aren't stupid enough to stand in it for the full duration. Basically it was only used every other pull in pve to help with aoe aggro. Now the attack aggro's less mobs and typically blasts mobs out of the radius after the first hit which means they only get hit for 400-500 damage once making it useless. Jet boost to the middle mob and flame sweep is now better than DFA and have minimal cooldowns. If they are going to keep the reduced radius then at least remove the knockback so we get more than one hit in.

STRWRSFanforLife
04.12.2012 , 02:56 PM | #26
OK, so I read all the complaints and figure...it can't be all that bad. The DFA ability has such a long CD, that most are used to other forms of fighting and doing damage anyway. So I goto Hoth to try it out.

A group of normal Mobs, place reticle in between 2 to make sure I hit them, I fly into the air, explosions, and I didn't even touch one of them. They walk around like umm....wow, there are explosions right next to me...huh...oh well....

So I place the reticle DIRECTLY on one. I actually hit him....and in doing so did ---- dmg to him vs before where I would have brought him down to 1/4 health if not more on a crit. Each shot now doing 300 damage post patch vs 1k damage pre-patch.

So in short an AOE, 8 meter ability now brought to the point of no longer being AOE doing as best I can tell, roughly 70% less damage.

This is a BH's primary opening spell when engaging multiple targets, and it is; as of now, not even worth putting on the hotkey bar.

Due to the long CD on the ability, I submit there was absolutely nothing wrong with it in the beginning. It was used as an opener and would only knockdown the lowest of trash mobs. Understand (directed at Bioware Dev's) YOU HAVE MADE THIS ABILITY A WASTE OF CODE. Exactly WTH were you thinking??

Again I submit, in trying to do whatever the **** you we're trying to do, you screwed it up. Do us and yourselves a huge favor and just put the ability back to exactly where it was....not overpowered, or underpowered. Should you feel you HAVE to do something to it, take the knockback away, not the radius or damage, nerfing either of those aspects eliminates exactly what the ability is supposed to do, high damage in a large radius....the definition of an AoE attack. As of right now it is totally worthless.

So far the BH is the only class I enjoy, and not because I like TM spam, actually just because it was boring doing that I have found much more effective rotations(FM followed by exploding Dart, rail shot, and unload), but noone that plays a BH can not say that this was way overdone. MAYBE the knockback was a bit too much, but it only works on the lowest of trash anyway, so who really cares. The radius and damage were just fine. Now, useless.

End Result: My BH just became a cybertech factory, and I am moving on to the other classes that were already overpowered you decided to BUFF??? A shame since I nowhere near enjoy playing them as much as my BH. I sincerely hope you fix this and fast. I have played every other class, but the BH has the lore behind it, a great storyline, great companions, the list goes on. Please don't ruin it trying to fix something that is not broken.

Last but not least, there are great innovations in this game update, but there are many screw ups...this being one of the worst. Please do not ruin ANOTHER succesful Star Wars MMO. You claim that player feedback is what will drive this game. Well here it is, plain and simple. You screwed this one up bad. Please fix it.

Thank you for taking the time to read what I took the time to write and thank you in advance for fixing this problem.

Zaij
04.12.2012 , 03:55 PM | #27
I also agree, why repair something that isn't broken... DFA and MV are AoEs used as openers and crowd control when leveling, keep it that way! Don't let high lvl PvP whiners destroy the leveling experience for the rest of us... Now it feels totaly pointless for me to keep leveling my BH and Trooper, cause it where a very important skill for me that the other classes really didn't have...

Other then that it was a really good patch (apart from this problem and the broken casual PvP).

(p.s I don't see any difference in damage, just the area of effect. Also I'm also having the problem with my targets getting knocked out of the AoE thus rendering the skill even more useless...)

LoKiei
04.12.2012 , 03:56 PM | #28
It's not nerfed, the frequency of the damage has been increased with each hit decreased.

DEuZZ
04.12.2012 , 03:58 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Galvatron View Post
You reduced the radius of Death form Above which was fine but now you ninja nerfed the damage by 30-40%. PLEASE EXPLAIN YOURSELF.
They made merc a JOKE class, you have two choices! reroll a OP class like marauder, sorc, or the most op of them ALL ASSASSIN!
If you dont wanna do that is one option left QUIT! its what i did! no more this stupid game!!!!!!!!!!!
I though bioware was better then this, even after many post by blizzard said nerf arena etc was mistake they still can do something like this is beyond me!!!!
Srsly! nerf don't only suck for pvpers but those who only do PVE too!
And whats worse is there is no arena in swtor, no 2vs2 etc! its 8vs8 cant be balanced really... LOL is all i have to say!

And keep in mind MERC'S are not mobile AT ALL! so this big dmg nerf and on jet boost and so on = we useless!!!!
before i could do around 500k dps one WZ while the op classes even higher! now im lucky if i do 250k, and forget about me killing anyone in 1vs1 now, i struggled like crazy to do it before the patch, now it cant be done as we did not get ANY boost in mobility with the INSANE nerfing they did on us!!!! Before patch i can understand interrupt etc could be looked on as "op" but now lol............
Megatron Mercenary
“Peace through tyranny.”

Brickabrack
04.12.2012 , 04:19 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by CameronWinston View Post
Damage from Death From Above should not be any different in this patch. All that was adjusted was the radius of the effect. Damage is applied faster now (every .5 second instead of every second) but the overall damage is the same.
Not to put too fine a point on it but, lowering the radius lowers the overall damage output, does it not? That is to say... if before you were hitting 4 or 5 bad guys at once and doing x amount of damage, but now because of the smaller radius you are only hitting 3 of them for the same amount of x damage, then overall it's less damage, because you're not doing damage at all to 1 or 2 that you used to be able to hit. Right?

By that rational, it's a pretty sharp nerf.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Playing Since 12-13-2011