Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Please fix out of range fullscreen/fullscreen window mode for 1280x1024 resolution.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Please fix out of range fullscreen/fullscreen window mode for 1280x1024 resolution.
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Ivorydawn
06.03.2012 , 11:12 AM | #311
Customer Service emailed me this morning with the same BS about "we know about the problem, please wait". Gotta love it when they just use the same cut-n-paste responses. I don't even see it listed under "Known Issues" when it is affecting so many of us.

Varlun
06.05.2012 , 04:11 AM | #312
Greetin's everyone. Just wanted to say I encountered this issue a good while ago, (See earlier in this thread, around page 12 or so...) and wellp, I've just been playin' in windowed mode this entire time. I've had lots of fun. I now have four different characters that I roleplay with- one won't be in my signature, as he isn't a Mulland, he's a Droid. ^-^

Anyway, yeah. Windowed mode ain't so bad. I ended up giving a small rant earlier in this thread for people to just relax and enjoy windowed mode until Bioware figures out how to get this game to install as smoothly as WoW does.

I'm kinda surprised this has reached over 30 pages. I -did- expect them to fix this issue by now. Pretty sure the problem is in their coding, not on our side. The Client Settings are overriding the Native (Computer) Settings when the game's in fullscreen mode. It doesn't when it's in windowed mode. That's why you can launch the game and alt+enter and vuala, it works. You can also, from that point, change the settings ingame to be fullscreen, and zomg, it'll work. It's something about launching the game into fullscreen, or changing it to fullscreen via alt+enter that messes everything up.

Another note. If you minimize from fullscreen, the settings will not only reset as they do when you launch the game, but they will not override, but CHANGE your computer's settings. Forcing you to run a System Restore.

Meh. I'm done speakin' technical. I've said all this before, in practically an essay, a few pages back.

Good luck y'all.
The Mulland Legacy
Varlun Karith
Kaytors

Ivorydawn
06.05.2012 , 12:11 PM | #313
So, do you want us all to just "suck it up" and continue to play in windowed mode? Is that the point of your message? I am not paying fifteen bucks a month to have a problem on their end boil down to "deal with it" when their damned game is changing my hard ware settings. Couple this with poor customer service and a blatant ignoring of the problem and voila! You have thirty pages of unhappy customers and one gaming company that doesn't seem to care what the opinions of their customers are.

So glad it works for you but I am hardly satisfied.

Varlun
06.05.2012 , 07:15 PM | #314
That's pretty much what I'm saying, yeah. Though I don't criticize y'all seekin' a solution. What I'm saying is, I don't really think y'all should be complaining about it. Just play in windowed mode, for crying out loud... it's hardly different. There is SO MUCH MORE to this game... and you're going to complain about having to play it with a tiny little border? x.x

I don't mean to target you here. I'm -not- interested in getting into an argument over the forums... but it's just... c'mon people. It's a great game. Play it, in windowed mode, and just wait...
The Mulland Legacy
Varlun Karith
Kaytors

Rogue_Dodger
06.06.2012 , 08:29 AM | #315
Quote: Originally Posted by Varlun View Post
That's pretty much what I'm saying, yeah. Though I don't criticize y'all seekin' a solution. What I'm saying is, I don't really think y'all should be complaining about it. Just play in windowed mode, for crying out loud... it's hardly different. There is SO MUCH MORE to this game... and you're going to complain about having to play it with a tiny little border? x.x

I don't mean to target you here. I'm -not- interested in getting into an argument over the forums... but it's just... c'mon people. It's a great game. Play it, in windowed mode, and just wait...
We have been. Since day 1 of 1.2. How much longer do you suggest we 'just wait?'. Most of us are adults, we know a fix isn't going to happen overnight. But this has been weeks now.

Ivorydawn
06.06.2012 , 01:23 PM | #316
When you pay my subscription fee, you can tell me to "chill out". Until then, go fan boy elsewhere. It's not a great game when they can't even acknowledge this is an issue. When I run the game in "windowed mode" it runs terribly. That's a performance issue for your "great game'. Really, it's been weeks and nothing.

Bhuta
06.12.2012 , 10:44 PM | #317
Hey everyone. I just had this problem and solved it for myself by using Catalyst Control Centre. I dont know if this will help you but I ll just describe anyway. If this has been posted in this thread already i am sorry, but couldnt really check all 32 pages.

First I edited the client_settings.ini . The game was trying to run on 72 hz but my monitor only supports up to 60 hz. So I made it 60 hz (you dont say!). Then somehow the game was changing my desktop refresh rate to 72 hz so when I get out of the game I wasnt able to use my PC From VGA mode I also corrected it. Afterwards on Catalyst Control Centre> My VGA Displays> Properties(VGA Display) UNCHECK the box `Use Extended Display Identification Data(EDID) or driver defaults` and set it manually. I have put 60 hz there and the maximum resolution my monitor supports and It works well now.

ChandlerL
06.12.2012 , 11:46 PM | #318
Quote: Originally Posted by Varlun View Post
I'm kinda surprised this has reached over 30 pages. I -did- expect them to fix this issue by now. Pretty sure the problem is in their coding, not on our side. The Client Settings are overriding the Native (Computer) Settings when the game's in fullscreen mode.
Not necessarily true. It's possible that some folks have LCDs and Monitors that are erroneously reporting to Windows the refresh rates it's capable of. Seems to happen most frequently when using HDMI and VGA ports (or converters) vs. standard DVI

For the folks that are having this issue, for curiousity's sake, they should go into their display driver settings and check the drop down menu to see what refresh rates are in the list and if there's 1. more than one and 2. If the refresh rate availability changes depending on the resolution selected.

One thing to try is many folks neglect to install the monitor drivers (just an INF file) that inform Windows what the display is capable of. The monitor is supposed to inform the graphics card through the standard but sometimes no joy, so it's an option.

Cheers

BaronV
06.13.2012 , 12:08 AM | #319
Quote: Originally Posted by Azure_Prower View Post
This happens every patch update ever since I first installed this game during early access. I log into the game to be greeted with an out of range screen. But it was easily fixed by going into the client_defaults.ini

How ever, this work around is no longer working with 1.2. I hope they fix full screen [window] mode for 1280x1024 resolution.

Before 1.2 via editing the client_defaults.ini:

Window mode: works.
Full Screen mode: works.
Full Screen window mode: works.

After 1.2:

Full Screen mode: Out of Range.
Full Screen window mode: Out of Range.

After Darkerwarrior's work around fix in this thread:

Full Screen mode: works (minimize your client at your own risk how ever).
Full Screen window mode: Out of Range.
Im having the same issue at 1280x800. Bloody annoying because sometimes the quest markers are off the visible map and your left having to search for it
I used to be a Jedi like you - until I took a blaster bolt to the knee

Valakhnarr
06.13.2012 , 06:57 AM | #320
Quote: Originally Posted by BaronV View Post
Im having the same issue at 1280x800. Bloody annoying because sometimes the quest markers are off the visible map and your left having to search for it
I don't think you understand the "out of range" problem. It's not that the game does not display quite right, and some things are off the screen. Out of Range is that the monitor is being sent a refresh rate or resolution it cannot support, and the screen is black; no game, nothing.