Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why would a non-force-user use a melee weapon? (Vibroblades, etc)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Why would a non-force-user use a melee weapon? (Vibroblades, etc)

Jaydann
04.11.2012 , 08:02 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Magisch View Post
Do you really think you could wield an cylinder twice as hot as the sun without having the force to protect you? adorable
You don't need the force to wield a lightsaber, Grievous wielded 4 "cylinders as hot as the sun" and didn't melt.....
I agree it would be verry difficult to use it effectively, but anyone could pick one up and turn it on.
The force-field will make sure nothing gets burned unless in direct contact with the blade.
--------------------------------ZAPP-------------------------------------X

Mongrul
04.11.2012 , 08:18 AM | #12
the slow blade penetrates the shield
Im the sith juggernaut bish

Magisch
04.11.2012 , 12:33 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Jaydann View Post
You don't need the force to wield a lightsaber, Grievous wielded 4 "cylinders as hot as the sun" and didn't melt.....
I agree it would be verry difficult to use it effectively, but anyone could pick one up and turn it on.
The force-field will make sure nothing gets burned unless in direct contact with the blade.

Grievous was a droid, I think they have a higher heat sustain then normal humans.
But even Grievous' Blades must've been made by some force user, and kept charged by some.

Guildrum
04.11.2012 , 01:20 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Magisch View Post
Grievous was a droid, I think they have a higher heat sustain then normal humans.
Cyborg actually. Han Solo wielded a lightsaber for a brief moment in Empire

Quote:
But even Grievous' Blades must've been made by some force user, and kept charged by some.
They were taken from the corpses of Jedi.

Osetto
04.11.2012 , 02:24 PM | #15
Non-Force users can use lightsabers, assuming they have a traditional ignition mechanism. All you have to do is press the button and swing away. However, creation, proper utilization, and maintenance of one by someone who isn't Force-sensitive is another story.

Without the proper combat training with a weightless blade, you're probably going to accidentally brush the blade of a lightsaber against yourself sooner or later. One could probably overcome this liability with enough training and resources (cybernetically enhanced senses, lightsaber resistant armor, tutored by a Force-wielder), but that's quite a hassle.

For the rest of the galaxy at large who want to just slash and smash things, vibroweapons are the way to go. Canonically, they're pretty deadly, the vibration mechanic turning glancing blows into critical hits. And if you're going to have to face off against a Jedi or Sith in melee, it's better to have a chance at defending against their blades than no defense at all. If armor has reached the point of being able to absorb blaster bolts, you might as well have armed forces skilled in the use of multiple forms of weaponry. If a lightsaber is being blocked by a vibroblade, it's hard to simultaneously use it to deflect incoming blaster bolts. Having a good swordsman in a squad engage a Jedi or Sith while a gunner shoots the engaged target in the back is a sound theory in the curious game of tactics and warfare that transpires in the Star Wars universe.
-------------------- The Fan Fiction Index --------------------

Clonedzero
04.11.2012 , 02:51 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Guildrum View Post
Cyborg actually. Han Solo wielded a lightsaber for a brief moment in Empire

They were taken from the corpses of Jedi.
han solo used it to cut open a dead tauntaun, not use it in combat. BIG difference.

i could easily use a lightsaber to cut open a dead horse or something. would i want to spin it around and preform complex combat moves with it? no...i'd probably cut myself in half.

CJ_SAX_MAN
04.11.2012 , 05:18 PM | #17
I believe something is in place to keep the hilts from getting that hot. Would be a waste of some of a Jedi's concentration if he always had to focus on keeping his hand force shielded. and like stated, various people held lightsabers who weren't force users. as stated about han solo. And when Luke first held a lightsaber, he wasn't trained yet.

I am curious why it actually requires a force user to create a lightsaber? If it is just because of the precision required to set the crystals right, it seems that either a very skilled weaponmaker, or well created and programmed machine could still make them.

Osetto
04.11.2012 , 05:32 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by CJ_SAX_MAN View Post
I believe something is in place to keep the hilts from getting that hot.
The entirety of the heat generated by the lightsaber is contained with a force containment field, the technological kind. It won't burn anything until it actually comes into contact with it. That forcefield is also why a lightsaber displays resistance, because it doesn't want to let material that isn't burned pass through and break the cycle of energy.

Quote:
I am curious why it actually requires a force user to create a lightsaber?
The crystals used in the creation of a lightsaber have to be 'activated' before they can function properly. One must imbue them with the Force, something only a Force-user could do presumably.
-------------------- The Fan Fiction Index --------------------

CJ_SAX_MAN
04.11.2012 , 08:25 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Osetto View Post

The crystals used in the creation of a lightsaber have to be 'activated' before they can function properly. One must imbue them with the Force, something only a Force-user could do presumably.
ah, ok. I just thought they produced some special energy themselves or something.

Is that how the Rakata managed to make the first lightsabers? Because their technological science and the force was all intertwined together with them? Because from what I understand they weren't the same type of force users like jedi and sith, but yet it was apart of their culture, the force perhaps naturally ran through them or something. IDK, I need to study Rakata lore

Kestralio
04.11.2012 , 10:06 PM | #20
Because blasters are so uncivilized.