Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do People Hate Flashpoints?

Lynnx
04.10.2012 , 04:21 PM | #11
Thanks everyone.
Lack of an LFG tool is definitely an important point. I could be questing and exping during the time that I would be yelling "LFG"

Several other MMOs including Rift (which only started a little over a year ago) began without an LFG tool, but added one later.

Hopefully, they will add one in time.

pipda
04.10.2012 , 04:22 PM | #12
This is a mix of a lot of things people have pointed out. The meta cause is bad design.

This is while leveling...

First up, the flashpoints are accessed from the Fleet, the players in that level range to do the flashpoint are on a planet somewhere doing quests. Where should you go to try and form the group? Planet hop? Sit on Fleet?

In most cases it ends up being the fleet. Who wants to sit in fleet for half an hour spamming /1 hoping the people you need to form a party wander by. That is not fun and in no ways enjoyable, esp if you have limited play time. Game needs some sort of LFG tool, they have one right now but as anyone who has tried to set an LFG comment knows, its bugged.

Another factor in getting your group together is the requirement for a specific role, Healer and a Tank. Lots of people play healing and tank capable ACs, lots of people would even like to heal or tank. But it is much faster and less tedious to level as a DPS spec. Add the ability to duel spec. You can stay DPS for solo leveling and then fill a tank/healer role in group content with out having to run back to fleet, respec, redo your bars and then run back to the group content.

For a game with a lot of group content, Heroic quests and flash points it fails utterly supporting that play style.

My second 50, didn't even run a single end game flashpoint, just unsubbed for a month. Picked it back up to level one more toon and hope GW2, PS2 or something else is around when I finish. No plan to sit around begging in /1 for group mates while being bored on the fleet.

ErnieVega
04.10.2012 , 04:23 PM | #13
i find that i rarely have time to do more than one flashpoint in most sessions. I personally love to do them, but they are quite a time investment, and im not sure how well they compete with other activities in xp gain for the time invested.
The Initiative
Vrook Lamar

Padkhar
04.10.2012 , 05:22 PM | #14
If Bioware wants people to do the flashpoints more, they will have to fix a lot of things in the game, to make it more like the PVP system. You queue up, know your time commitment, and have a fairly simple goal to accomplish as a team that doesn't necessarily require a fixed mix of classes. When its over, you are put back where you were and can go on your way. And most of all--everyone is working towards a goal of progression and gear that made it worth everyone's time even if you failed, but even more worth it if you win. They already have "heroics" in the game, but the travel time/communication issues kind of make it hard for people to get together.

Once people are grouping in PVE more regularly for the "heroics", it becomes easier to get to know other players for trying the more traditional, longer style flashpoints they already have in the game. But it feels to me that unless you were lucky enough to roll on a populated server or were levelling with a rush of other players, you're off by yourself and no one trusts each other to even try half the content that is out there. People re-rolling aren't always as motivated to repeat every flashpoint as well, so Bioware may have overestimated the degree to which different storylines and classes encourage replay of group content in PVE.

StaticJoe
04.10.2012 , 06:06 PM | #15
I don't run FP's because I'm not in a guild nor do I want to be preferring to play the game at my own pace going where I like when I like. That said, if someone wanted my help--I'm not at all a very good player so I don't know how much of a help I would actually be--I certainly would not refuse

Quote: Originally Posted by Lynnx View Post
It seems that no one ever wants to join when I try to create a flashpoint group.

Do people prefer to do regular quests?

I find flashpoints to be faster levelling as well as social points and good loot.

The only downside is when you have a group member who is overly needy or stupid.

Why are flashpoint groups so hard to find?
I swear on my medical license! The real one!

--Doctor Ryamn

Ainrehtea
04.10.2012 , 06:26 PM | #16
I find the FPs before 50 are not done too often since they are optional. The Gear you get from there you replace quickly enough anyway that there's no point to do them unless you're a completionest.
<Vengeance of the Fallen>
|~Juyo Server~|
+Social Rank 10+
Twi'lek Seer

MMornard
04.10.2012 , 06:46 PM | #17
Yes, I hate flashpoints. I don't want to spend that much time doing one "mission". I like the fact that most quests take about 20 minutes to complete, tops.

rommelrommel
04.10.2012 , 07:04 PM | #18
Leveling they take too long to assemble and complete, I don't even bother with the heroics most of the time due to being poor returns for my time.

At 50 they're about the worst way to pick up gear, on HM most will take an hour or so to do plus finding the group and ONE of you get a Columi piece.

One good evening of ops (EV, KP, and first 4 bosses of HM EV got me 2 rakata, 5 columi, and a piece or two of exotech + comms) will gear you as much as days on end of HM FP's.

Regular FP's are a total waste as they rarely give you anything notably better than the lvl 50 purple mods in orange gear that anyone can farm with dailies and buy off of GTN.

I can see them being fun for people that are just playing for fun, but if you're trying to get the gear to go on to HM FP's, ops, HM ops, and so on they are almost pointless outside of doing the daily/weekly HM quests to get some extra comms.
Ahazi/SHDWS/rommelrommel/Pechorin/Patton/Resdog-msm

AnimalMotherr
04.10.2012 , 07:24 PM | #19
I love flashpoints. They are definitely one of my favorite parts of the game. I've never had to wait very long to get a group together. I usually stop by the fleet to do some crafting and whatnot and while I'm there I'll pop out a LFG and usually within 10 min at the most I have a group together.

I definitely agree though that a LFG tool would probably make it easier for some people to get groups. My system works nice for me, but I know not everyone has the same play style as others.

anstalt
04.11.2012 , 09:15 AM | #20
As many others have said, its basically poor design.

I actually don't want an LFG tool, but, at the moment virtually all flashpoints are launched from fleet. That means that whilst leveling, you aren't on fleet and thus shouting out for groups doesn't actually hit your target audience.

If they, instead, put the instance at the start of each planet that would be much better. For example, picking up Tarel V flashpoint quest at the start of balmorra, it means for the next 5 hours of so of leveling through balmorra you can be shouting for groups / joining groups much more easily because you are still on the correct planet. Up the rewards a bit if needed, but whilst leveling its basically an accessibility issue.

At endgame, its all about rewards. Bioware messed up bigtime by not adding rare loot to the game. So, you basically run a flashpoint a few times, get your columi piece, then never have to return. This is exacerbated by the fact that you get gear easier / quicker from normal mode ops. There basically isn't any reason to run HM FPs beyond fun, which after a few runs, the fun fades.
Anstalt - lvl 50 valor 81 Shadow Consular

Currently retired due to poor design decisions within the game that have killed its longevity. Get rid of Hickman before he ruins the game completely!