Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

My one beef with legacy

darkjedibn
04.09.2012 , 10:47 AM | #1
Here is the only thing that rubs me the wrong way about legacy. In the legacy tree you can make an alt a child. So let say i have a Jedi knight main and i decided to role another Jedi knight alt (crazy example i know but shows my point). So if my new jedi knight alt is a child of my main then what makes sense about a child going through the same story as my main did? It doesn't make any sense to me. From a timeframe stand point this just screws up the stories like crazy. I'm not even a roleplayer in game and this mess up my lore love just a wii bit.

CJ_SAX_MAN
04.09.2012 , 10:50 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by darkjedibn View Post
Here is the only thing that rubs me the wrong way about legacy. In the legacy tree you can make an alt a child. So let say i have a Jedi knight main and i decided to role another Jedi knight alt (crazy example i know but shows my point). So if my new jedi knight alt is a child of my main then what makes sense about a child going through the same story as my main did? It doesn't make any sense to me. From a timeframe stand point this just screws up the stories like crazy. I'm not even a roleplayer in game and this mess up my lore love just a wii bit.
totally agree here. Figured making them siblings makes alot more sense
Sarthist, Jedi Guardian Guild: Inferno Server: The Fatman
Please help me get Bioware to make my guide into a "sticky"
Guide for players on weak computers: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=383030

VanorDM
04.09.2012 , 10:51 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by darkjedibn View Post
So if my new jedi knight alt is a child of my main then what makes sense about a child going through the same story as my main did?
That's really only slightly more of a problem then the fact that every Jedi Knight goes though the same story. Yes it's a bit weird, but that's just the nature of MMO's.

Pubsam
04.09.2012 , 11:08 AM | #4
Yeah, from an RP standpoint it's bit rough if you're trying to make a dynasty of Jedi or something... you have a knight, a consular, maybe someone is taken by the Empire and is Sith, and maybe one forsakes their talents and is a Smuggler, but it wouldn't be much of a Jedi legacy with only two Jedis and the rest just force-sensitives. Someone wanting to RP a Mandalorian legacy would have it even harder.

But from a practical standpoint, it seems kind of crazy for your alt to replay the same story you did on your main when you have 7 other stories to choose from - plus playing a SW would give you the same class as the JK but the fun of a new story if you were insistent on wanting the same playstyle.

Game definitely fosters a legacy consisting of a couple characters related by blood, the rest their allies/nemeses, rather than a literal family tree.
Time for a nap.

NRieh
04.09.2012 , 11:20 AM | #5
Quote:
It doesn't make any sense to me. From a timeframe stand point this just screws up the stories like crazy. I'm not even a roleplayer in game and this mess up my lore love just a wii bit.
You forgot to mention that if child is same gender he also has your romance option as his own romance option. Family traditions, I suppose....

I already wrote same thing about "children" in legacy. It has nothing to do with RP. RPing "kids" without a single timeline difference? Running both kids and parents same daylies?...
Marry same companions?...

They really missed those points when they wrote about Skywalker legacy, huh? I mean that both Solo and his kids had to take down same planetary bosses and do same missions?...

maxetius
04.09.2012 , 11:43 AM | #6
It's painfully obvious for sure that it just doesn't work. All the storylines are nearly concurrent. Unless Siblings or Allies/Rivals, it makes zero sense for any 'sons of' or 'daughters of' to be running around.

Darianth
04.09.2012 , 11:59 AM | #7
Well since the sith warrior talks about being from a high uP family I made him and my Jedi knight my assassins son. It fits. My assassin married my consular

Pubsam
04.09.2012 , 02:10 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by NRieh View Post
I already wrote same thing about "children" in legacy. It has nothing to do with RP. RPing "kids" without a single timeline difference? Running both kids and parents same daylies?...
Marry same companions?...

They really missed those points when they wrote about Skywalker legacy, huh? I mean that both Solo and his kids had to take down same planetary bosses and do same missions?...
Well, short of making this a single-player game, or them releasing an expac and you deciding to play the the child in the continued story and retire the old parent, you kind of have to suspend disbelief.

Of course the timeline stuff can work if you figure your main is in their 40s and their child in their 20s.

As for kids having the same stories (and same companions/romances) as their folks, Bioware's just kind of forcing your hand into not having children follow in their parents' footsteps!
Time for a nap.

Guildrum
04.09.2012 , 02:13 PM | #9
"Daddy!"

"What's up son?"

"I just killed INSERT MAIN ANTAGONIST HERE"

"Good job! I only managed to kill him when I was several years older than you! I am so proud!"

"..."

I think it just makes for funnier situations.
The Shaffer Legacy: Begeren Colony

Shaffer Lazy-eye Horace Sleth
Journalist, Pirate Bodyguard Sith

CJ_SAX_MAN
04.09.2012 , 02:27 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Darianth View Post
Well since the sith warrior talks about being from a high uP family I made him and my Jedi knight my assassins son. It fits. My assassin married my consular
gotta be one wild marriage unless they are both the same alignment, but even then
Sarthist, Jedi Guardian Guild: Inferno Server: The Fatman
Please help me get Bioware to make my guide into a "sticky"
Guide for players on weak computers: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=383030