Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How Fast Do Blaster Bolts Travel At?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
How Fast Do Blaster Bolts Travel At?

MarcSh
04.12.2012 , 01:32 AM | #41
You people are making my brain hurt. What I want to know about blasters etc in Star Wars is why you NEVER see someone shoot, it goes through the hull and people get sucked out, or even decompression?

NasherUK
04.12.2012 , 03:48 AM | #42
Don't know, but they are WAY to slow in most starwars games including this one. When you see them in the movies etc they are almost as fast as a bullet.

I think if they speeded them up to how they should be you wouldn't see them snaking as much as they fly towards moving targets :P

theangryllama
04.12.2012 , 04:24 AM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by DiabloDoom View Post
I know each blaster is different, some fire ionized plasma others concentrated particle beams? Particle accelerated beams would obviously travel at C or faster, but there is an abundance of visual evidence clearly demonstrating that blasters don't travel anywhere near C?

Is there any official theory or shared consensus for this fictional anomaly?
The plasma is contained in an electromagnetic field of some sort or another. This has a mass (albeit a very small one). It is propelled out of the barrel by a force. Thus you have an acceleration.
However the nature of the round is that on contact the field breaks releasing the energy. The damage it does is unlike a bullet in that it does not matter how fast its travelling and thus making it travel at great speeds is a waste of energy.
A bolt travelling faster would suffer a higher rate of the fields energy dissipating as heat due to kinetic friction and thus actually result in a shorter range.
Therefore the majority of a blasters energy is put into the strength of the field holding it to increase the time it takes to dissipate and thus its range (which is how and why blaster rifles/pistols/sniper rifles etc exist.. its a matter of the amount of plasma fired and the strength of the field) while making it fast enough that your not going to be able to see it coming and simply move out of the way lol.