Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How Fast Do Blaster Bolts Travel At?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
How Fast Do Blaster Bolts Travel At?

Xezr
04.09.2012 , 11:07 AM | #21
I keep thinking the cold vacuum of space eventually cools down the bolt enough for it to vaporize. Though this is why you use targetting computers in space-combat; to try and minimalize stray projectiles
"If a Jedi proclaims that only Sith deal in absolutes, he is a hypocrite."

westraz
04.09.2012 , 12:05 PM | #22
blasters or not lasers, they shoot supper headed plasma so it not the speed of light
I have bad spelling do to my being learning disabled , the is just so I do not get asked "why are you spelling so bad?" and I don't wont to have to get asked 100 times, and is in NO way meant to hurt any one feelings after all.. IT is about me!

Krelios
04.09.2012 , 12:23 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Fyurii View Post
Not even a particle beam could travel faster than light.
Hell, firing the thing would launch you back as far as it could fire.
No, Force = Mass * Velocity so it wouldn't launch you back as far as it could fire unless the projectile had the same mass as the firer. If it's firing energy there is no mass and therefore no recoil. It's the same reason turning on a flashlight doesn't launch you backward across the room because it does send photons out at the speed of light.

Clearly, blaster bolts don't travel anywhere near c since we can see them.

Ricktur
04.09.2012 , 12:28 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Krelios View Post
No, Force = Mass * Velocity
WHOA WHOA WHOA! ok, this is getting deep, im going to exit the room now. . .
Sgt. Boos Macarrage - Republic Trooper/Vanguard - PVE Tank Spec
Prophecy of the Five - US East PVP
Republic Commandos: First Ones In, Last Ones Out. Never Quit. Never Fail.

Silent_Dan
04.09.2012 , 01:30 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Krelios View Post
Clearly, blaster bolts don't travel anywhere near c since we can see them.
Everything you said before that was solid, but you can see visible-spectrum lasers even though they go at exactly c. I realize that in a vacuum, with no particles to reflect any photons back at you, you wouldn't be able to see it. Just that, as a litmus test ... wow, I'm being super-pedantic. Gonna stop now before I get into weird thought experiments about general relativity, and what happens if a station wagon going at the speed of light turns on its headlights.

Captain_Zone
04.09.2012 , 01:30 PM | #26
Trying to apply physics to Star Wars has been known to cause migraines. Just a word of caution, here.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Wolfninjajedi
04.09.2012 , 01:32 PM | #27
I personally prefer mass driver cannons to blasters. :P They are fun!
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

billyboyjennings
04.09.2012 , 09:52 PM | #28
Blasters do not fire light speed bolts. Blaster bolts move at the speeds you see in the films (absolute canon) which puts them around the speed of bullets that are fired from modern day firearms. Slower in some cases.
Also, Force users do not move or react at anywhere near the speed of light.
"In the case of Boba Fett's death, had I known he was gonna turn into such a popular character, I probably would've made it a little bit more exciting." - George Lucas, RotJ DVD Commentary, 2004
DEAL WITH IT, FANBOYS

OddballEasyEight
04.10.2012 , 08:22 AM | #29
Actually bullets dont travel all that fast, theyre just really small so you dont see them. (unless theyre tracers)

have a look at some videos on youtube where someone is firing a pistol at a long(er) range target and its zoomed in on the target, most of the time you can actually see the bullet traveling downrange and it seems to be going at about the same speed as blasters do...
theyre just not huge glowing bolts :P
Apparantly I have multiple accounts. And apparantly I argue with myself on those accounts.
http://www.swtor.com/r/6S24xq free stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ-...roj4L9Q/videos my blaster sound videos.

FalcoLombardi
04.10.2012 , 01:08 PM | #30
Simple, use the scene where Han Solo shoots at Vader in Episode 5. Roughly calculate their distance, you a stop watch to time how long the blaster bolt takes to refract off Vader's hand. Multiply the 2 and should have the speed in MPH..I think
......|||
======= God Bless
......|||
......|||