Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same faction Novare coast doesn't make sense!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same faction Novare coast doesn't make sense!

veevito
04.08.2012 , 04:41 PM | #21
Maybe they should develop tech that allows those who would rather have quicker matching to select that, while leaving those who don't mind waiting to select that.

Via a "same faction" checkbox in the pvp Q.

Then you will see wher eplayer desires truly lie. Although I suppose that there is some reason why what I suggest is just too hard or not practical because it splits the server even more.
How shall I ever understand this world? There is nothing on which it is so hard as poverty, and yet, there is nothing it condemns with such severity as the pursuit of wealth.

-Scrooge

Sivenom
04.08.2012 , 05:01 PM | #22
Well considering right now as things are.... only playing huttball is an issue. To fix that, BW decided "hey, you know what guys? If you guys do a 'training exercise', then you can play the WZ same-faction and it will still technically be okay." And so they have.

Why does it make sense? Because if it's an exercise... with say, live ammunition... then you can fight against yourselves and lore-wise, your fact will get a better understanding of how to win the war.
Why it's okay to get rewards? You have to pay your guinea pigs, be it in food pellets or commendations. No one can logically disagree with that, right?
All assassins had a full-length mirror in their rooms, because it would be a terrible insult to anyone to kill them when you were badly dressed. -- Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett

System_TOR
04.08.2012 , 05:16 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by sithlordcip View Post
How can republic fight rep and emp fight emp? Its a planet full of resources and both the rep and the emp want to get their hands on those resources.

Same faction battles don't make sense unless its huttball but that is more of a sport and makes sense.

What are your thoughts on this? To me its kinda lorebreaking and immersion breaking.
I think it can create bad blood within a faction, if you play against your own faction enough you start to become rivals to some of them and them to you, this is not good for building a community imo. I really think Bioware are losing the plot with this one, seems like some kinda desperation to make sure warzones tick over, but I think it will do more harm than good.

Huttball is fine though imo as you can pass it off as a sport and not take killing someone so personally as it is all in the name of the sport, BUT if its a war scenario and we are matched against our own then you may as well make the whole game free for all, because loyaltys just went out the window.

I really like the game even though its buggy as hell, has poor performance and has a million basic things missing, but lately I have really lost faith in the people behind it, the devs are looking more and more clueless to me every day.

Diamaht
04.08.2012 , 05:21 PM | #24
How can republic fight rep and emp fight emp? Its a planet full of resources and both the rep and the emp want to get their hands on those resources.

Same faction battles don't make sense unless its huttball but that is more of a sport and makes sense.

What are your thoughts on this? To me its kinda lorebreaking and immersion breaking.

If you're worried about lore, they say its a "training simulator". The armed forces do war games all the time.
If I am wise it is because I know that I know nothing

Durasturan
04.08.2012 , 05:25 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by davidpop View Post
Yes, i would.
Im a bountry hunter, my services are rendered to the highest bidder, lorewise, why shouldnt i be allowed to side with either side? Same goes for smugglers, and are you saying theres no such things as double agents or soldiers of fortune or dark jedi or redeemed sith? Lorewise there are dozens of reasons that peopls might not side with their "faction." Soooooo yeah, i guess lore isnt really a good argument to fall back on.

System_TOR
04.08.2012 , 05:27 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Diamaht View Post
If you're worried about lore, they say its a "training simulator". The armed forces do war games all the time.
That just makes the whole thing even cheaper.

CreedEto
04.08.2012 , 05:28 PM | #27
Here's an idea

Spoiler

Taleek
04.08.2012 , 05:30 PM | #28
This entire argument about lore is silly. Dozens of people kill the same bosses over and over again every day. Does that fit in with lore? No, no it does not. Neither does both factions having access to most of the flashpoints. I could list dozens more examples. Gameplay > lore, every time.
*insert witty retort that will become someone's signature*- Kitty Prawn
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=347245
.- Never forget.
"DPS is science, healing is art, tanking is strategy."

Arumat
04.08.2012 , 05:38 PM | #29
This is not about RP... its about logic and common sense
When you go to pvp, the main reason you do it is purely for player vs player interaction. The animation of their abilities, or graphics of armor is moot.

I'm suddenly wondering why Luigi and Mario duked it out in Mario kart. Oh right, its a game. Just like this game.

If same faction fights bug you, just pretend they are light side imperials, or dark side republics, just like you pretend to be the person in the center of your screen.

Key words being "pretend". that's all games are anyway.

Play the game for the sake of playing.

There's your logic and common sense.

System_TOR
04.08.2012 , 06:01 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Arumat View Post
I'm suddenly wondering why Luigi and Mario duked it out in Mario kart. Oh right, its a game. Just like this game.
This is not Mario kart and just because its a game does not make it the same, it's like saying all food tastes the same, when clearly it does not. Go back to the drawing board with your shallow theorys.