Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

On Luke & Mara Jade getting married...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
On Luke & Mara Jade getting married...

Captain_Zone
04.10.2012 , 01:23 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by xwingrlj View Post
In the old Order, when a Jedi in a relationship fell to the Dark Side, in most cases it wasn't because that loved one died, it was because they had already started down that path long before. Keeping it a secret to avoid the Masters finding out, telling all the lies and stories, etc. Deciet is the way of the Sith and the Dark Side, so its no wonder that a Jedi would easily fall to the Dark Side after getting into a relationship.

That being said, there were some, as previously mentioned that did it and succeeded without sucumbing. Corran Horn's father was a Jedi and died without falling to the Dark Side,. Just had to throw that example out there along with other examples already given.

Luke saw that you couldn't control the way you felt about someone, so rather than force a Jedi to conceal those feelings, he chose to allow it, so that it would be open, and then those Jedi who did have issues would have the support of all Jedi, and not have to suffer their pain on their own. A much wiser path in my opinion.
Which brings up, once again, my point from other discussions on this topic. I believe the Jedi teachings and ban on marriage/attachments also contributed to the problems with Jedi IN attached relationships falling to the Dark Side. In fact, I'm convinced of it in Anakin's case. If not for that rule, he most likely wouldn't have had much of a problem telling the Council about his visions of Padme's death. Instead of seeing them as supportive, he only saw them as restrictive. And on that point, I am in full agreement with Anakin. *watches as some may die of shock* >.>

<.<
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Toonimator
04.10.2012 , 03:27 PM | #22
No, you're right... the Jedi WERE too restrictive like that. Yoda was starting to realize it, and I think he had an idea of what--or whom--Anakin was talking about when Anakin brought up the dreams. Yoda may have felt that confronting Anakin with the knowledge or suspicion that Anakin had a thing for Padme would cause Anakin--who has proven volatile & reckless in the past--to close himself off from the other Jedi, to get defensive and even MORE secretive and potentially act more rashly...which he did anyway. Yoda made a mistake in doing that, and in merely counseling the rote "let go of attachments" teachings of the post-Ruusan Jedi.

Luke's method worked a lot better, but of course that's because the EU writers WANTED his method to work well, and Lucas WANTED the Prequel Jedi to be dogmatic monastic jerks.

Captain_Zone
04.10.2012 , 03:44 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Toonimator View Post
No, you're right... the Jedi WERE too restrictive like that. Yoda was starting to realize it, and I think he had an idea of what--or whom--Anakin was talking about when Anakin brought up the dreams. Yoda may have felt that confronting Anakin with the knowledge or suspicion that Anakin had a thing for Padme would cause Anakin--who has proven volatile & reckless in the past--to close himself off from the other Jedi, to get defensive and even MORE secretive and potentially act more rashly...which he did anyway. Yoda made a mistake in doing that, and in merely counseling the rote "let go of attachments" teachings of the post-Ruusan Jedi.

Luke's method worked a lot better, but of course that's because the EU writers WANTED his method to work well, and Lucas WANTED the Prequel Jedi to be dogmatic monastic jerks.
Which is why he had them rewrite the Jedi Code to include "There is NO" instead of "yet". Makes sense. I've been reading the Force Storm series and I love the Je'Daii Oath/Code. Best one yet, even if they have "There is no" in it.
. OPOD

CJ_SAX_MAN
04.10.2012 , 05:42 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by ZayneDraay View Post
Well for starters, what Luke pulled is called "pulling a Bindo". Second, Luke was leading his jedi order in a new direction, and I think one way of showing that was by marrying Mara. Thirdly Ki-Adi-Mundi was married, just to let you know...
Jolee Bindo is my hero

"The Jedi, with their damnable sense of over-caution, would tell you love is something to avoid, Thankfully anyone who's even partially alive knows that's not true. Love doesn't lead to the dark side. Passion can lead to rage and fear, and can be controlled, but passion is not the same thing as love. Controlling your passions while being in love, that's what they should teach you to beware, but love itself will save, not condemn you."
"Love causes pain certainly, inevitably love is going to lead to as much sorrow and regret as it does joy, I suppose there are perfect eternal loves out there...but I haven't seen any. And how you deal with the bad part of love is what determines your character, what determines the dark side's hold over you."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzmrO...eature=related
Sarthist, Jedi Guardian Guild: Inferno Server: The Fatman
Please help me get Bioware to make my guide into a "sticky"
Guide for players on weak computers: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=383030

Captain_Zone
04.10.2012 , 05:48 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by CJ_SAX_MAN View Post
Jolee Bindo is my hero

"The Jedi, with their damnable sense of over-caution, would tell you love is something to avoid, Thankfully anyone who's even partially alive knows that's not true. Love doesn't lead to the dark side. Passion can lead to rage and fear, and can be controlled, but passion is not the same thing as love. Controlling your passions while being in love, that's what they should teach you to beware, but love itself will save, not condemn you."
"Love causes pain certainly, inevitably love is going to lead to as much sorrow and regret as it does joy, I suppose there are perfect eternal loves out there...but I haven't seen any. And how you deal with the bad part of love is what determines your character, what determines the dark side's hold over you."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzmrO...eature=related
For a grouchy old man, Jolee had a lot of wisdom to impart.
. OPOD

CJ_SAX_MAN
04.10.2012 , 06:21 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
For a grouchy old man, Jolee had a lot of wisdom to impart.
"I'm not here to satisfy your curiosity! No staring at the old man, that's what the sign says damnit!"

"Well I'll be a wookie's uncle!"

"Apparently I'm not the only person in the conversations who has been recently shot down"

"There I go waxing philosophical again! Somebody blast me already! Let's get going before I start talking in riddles dammit!"

Revan: What do you know of the sith?
Jolee: Bad Bad men, bad women too to be fair
Revan: You must know more than that.
Jolee: Oh indeed, they make a fine sandwich also heh heh heh heh, but don't tell the Jedi council I said that.

(When a Imperial tries to look him in a cell)
Jolee, Mind Trick: This cell is too drafty, my old bones could catch a chill in here, We don't want that, you better let me out.
(imperial lets him out)
Jolee Mind trick: You shouldn't have let me out sonny, that was wrong, Admiral Karath won't be to happy with you disobeying his orders.
Soldier: Yes...What i did was wrong, very wrong.
Jolee Mind Trick: you deserve to be locked up on the cell for disobeying orders.
Soldier: Yes..I deserve to be locked up............WHAT AM I DOING IN HERE? DAMN YOU OLD MAN, I'LL KILL YOU!!!
Jolee: Then I'll be sure to never let you out. Goodbye Sonny!

(after picking a DS choice) "Nice, real nice, maybe later we can find some insects to pull the legs off of "

"I can't say I was pleased to encounter a group of indigenous giant carpets (wookies)."

"I forgot what engines sounded like, closest thing to that on kashyyyk was an Uller in mating season"

Jolee "If your going to kill them, why not just shoot them already, would at least be more direct"
Canderous Ordo: "That's what I'd do!!!"
Jolee "Of course that's what *you* would do"

"Later I realize they would say prayers to the hairless one before descending into the forest. Hmph hairless one, I used to have plenty of hair"

"Me elusive? Obviously you've never tried to grab a twilek dancing girl after drinking too much Ondaran Willek Juice"

AND OF COURSE ANYONE WILL REMEMBER THIS ONE

"Oh I get it. Let's play with the old man's head, is it? He's half senile, he'll forget I said anything! Wait uh, what was this about, anyway?"
Sarthist, Jedi Guardian Guild: Inferno Server: The Fatman
Please help me get Bioware to make my guide into a "sticky"
Guide for players on weak computers: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=383030

lieutenantzent
04.10.2012 , 07:16 PM | #27
Actually you are wrong though many did not marry they still had lovers here are a few examples of both: Nomi Sunrider had both Ulic Qel-Droma and Andur Sunrider as lovers, Qui Gon Jin had Tahl as a lover, Quinlan Vos and Khaleen Hentz, Nejaa Halcyon and Scerra Halcyon, Etain Tur-Mukan and Clone commando Darman Skirata, Kit Fisto and Aayla Secura, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Siri Tachi, Tholme and T'ra Saa, Mak Lotor and Kass Tod, and let's not forget the most famous of the bunch Revan and Bastila Shan.

Captain_Zone
04.10.2012 , 07:42 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by lieutenantzent View Post
Actually you are wrong though many did not marry they still had lovers here are a few examples of both: Nomi Sunrider had both Ulic Qel-Droma and Andur Sunrider as lovers, Qui Gon Jin had Tahl as a lover, Quinlan Vos and Khaleen Hentz, Nejaa Halcyon and Scerra Halcyon, Etain Tur-Mukan and Clone commando Darman Skirata, Kit Fisto and Aayla Secura, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Siri Tachi, Tholme and T'ra Saa, Mak Lotor and Kass Tod, and let's not forget the most famous of the bunch Revan and Bastila Shan.
Yes, and those mentioned from the Prequels and Clone Wars kept it a secret from the Council.
. OPOD

Chaac
04.11.2012 , 08:54 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
Which is why everyone else was there to help pick up the slack for those who were adversely affected by those events. Luke's Jedi Order is more of an extended family than previous Orders were. They all look out for each other as much as possible, and they pick up the slack whenever they can. There seems to be a loyalty there that wasn't there in the Prequel Order, or the Old Republic eras in KotOR and TOR.
Yeah they had people to fall back on, but it doesn't change the consequences of their attachment. For example; Through Leia's attachment to Han she had Jacen, Jacen's own attachment were a part of his fall to the darkside and Luke's attachment to his wife and his son meant that he couldn't personally defeat and stop Jacen, even passing up the opportunity to kill him which he later states he wouldn't have done if the other Jedi present had been anyone other than his own son. Jacen's fall and his survival during that confrontation with Luke lead to death's of millions that might otherwise have been avoided, nearly cost another council member his life and put both Skywalkers on dangerously dark paths.

I do like the loyalty that is displayed in the new order but it can't be denied that it's something of a doubled edged blade.
Wedge: "I don't like this notion of dovin basal mines that pursue you."
Han: "Me, either. I'm going to draft a strongly worded letter to the Yuuzhan Vong high commander and insist he stop using them."

ColsonJade
04.11.2012 , 09:12 AM | #30
This was explained in one of the books. Either the Jedi academy or I, Jedi. Luke did about the no relationship rules but as he worked to restart the jedi many of the people he was bringing in already had lives that included families. He decided it was not best to ask those people to give that up to be jedi.
RG_Meriam
Proud Member of Roving Guns! SWTOR XO, WoT, DDO http://www.rovingguns.com