Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

On Luke & Mara Jade getting married...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
On Luke & Mara Jade getting married...

DarthKaratus's Avatar


DarthKaratus
04.07.2012 , 03:15 PM | #1
I understand that Yoda or Obi-Wan never told Luke that love and passion lead to the dark side, but can someone still explain to me how Luke could have gotten married, being the GRAND MASTER? Did it not dawn on him that (as far as I know) none of the Jedi in the past managed to fall in love, stay in love and not turn to the dark side? (One seemingly obvious example to him would have been his father.)

The only Jedi I can think of before Luke's time that loved and didn't turn to the dark side was Kento Marek, and he became a Grey Jedi as far as I know, and Obi-Wan, though he never pursued his love and stayed fully committed to the Jedi.

So, can anyone shed some insight on this?
TOGRUTAS please?

Wolfninjajedi's Avatar


Wolfninjajedi
04.07.2012 , 03:19 PM | #2
Err...being the grand master, he could make rules and or change them...so thats why he was able to marry because he allowed it and changed/removed rules. Also Kento wasn't a grey jedi, he was a jedi knight...well exile jedi knight.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Kilikaa's Avatar


Kilikaa
04.07.2012 , 03:24 PM | #3
Lots of Jedi have fallen in love, married and had children over the long history of the order. Revan and Bastila for example. Yoda and Obi-Wan came from a time when the Jedi held so tightly to their rules that they weren't flexible. After Order Sixty Six they realized that this was one of the problems with the old Order. Luke was not so strict and allowed his Jedi to have relationships. It has proved successful so far.

By the way, Ki-Adi Mundi was also married and did not fall to the darkside. Also, Luke was not the Grand Master when he married Mara. He did not take that title until well after the Yuzhaan ving war, around...35 ABY I think. give or take a couple years. I'll have to go look that up now lol.

KnightFireX's Avatar


KnightFireX
04.07.2012 , 03:28 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Also Kento wasn't a grey jedi, he was a jedi knight...well exile jedi knight.
Who cares.
Princess Leia: Why, you stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking Nerf herder.
Han Solo: Who's scruffy-looking?

ToEasy's Avatar


ToEasy
04.07.2012 , 03:32 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by KnightFireX View Post
Who cares.
Plenty of people care.
"Jedi do not fight for peace. That's only a slogan, and is as misleading as slogans always are. Jedi fight for civilization, because only civilization creates peace. We fight for justice because justice is the fundamental bedrock of civilization: an unjust civilization is built upon sand. It does not long survive a storm." - Mace Windu

DarthKaratus's Avatar


DarthKaratus
04.07.2012 , 03:54 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Kilikaa View Post
Lots of Jedi have fallen in love, married and had children over the long history of the order. Revan and Bastila for example. Yoda and Obi-Wan came from a time when the Jedi held so tightly to their rules that they weren't flexible. After Order Sixty Six they realized that this was one of the problems with the old Order. Luke was not so strict and allowed his Jedi to have relationships. It has proved successful so far.

By the way, Ki-Adi Mundi was also married and did not fall to the darkside. Also, Luke was not the Grand Master when he married Mara. He did not take that title until well after the Yuzhaan ving war, around...35 ABY I think. give or take a couple years. I'll have to go look that up now lol.
Awesome. Thanks for the answer. As I'm sure you noticed I don't know much about EU except for what goes on in the games and what I read on Wookie sometimes. I just saw that Luke had a wife in an article on Wookiepedia and came here to ask (probably could have gotten my answer there now that I think of it haha)
TOGRUTAS please?

Captain_Zone's Avatar


Captain_Zone
04.07.2012 , 04:08 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthKaratus View Post
I understand that Yoda or Obi-Wan never told Luke that love and passion lead to the dark side, but can someone still explain to me how Luke could have gotten married, being the GRAND MASTER? Did it not dawn on him that (as far as I know) none of the Jedi in the past managed to fall in love, stay in love and not turn to the dark side? (One seemingly obvious example to him would have been his father.)

The only Jedi I can think of before Luke's time that loved and didn't turn to the dark side was Kento Marek, and he became a Grey Jedi as far as I know, and Obi-Wan, though he never pursued his love and stayed fully committed to the Jedi.

So, can anyone shed some insight on this?
Ok, Luke basically learned all he could from the old holocrons he and Tionne found and decided that being a "love nazi" was not a good way to go. He therefore decided that should any of his Jedi Order fall because of a bad relationship or because some bad guys went and killed their loved ones, he would deal with each case as it occurred. And tbh, that makes a helluvalot more sense than the "NO NOOKIE FOR YOU!" philosophy of previous Jedi Councils.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

darthcaedous's Avatar


darthcaedous
04.07.2012 , 04:14 PM | #8
lol also leia however short she was a jedi in training married han and never fell into it either lol. they break alot of rules in eu but i still love it lol.

Captain_Zone's Avatar


Captain_Zone
04.07.2012 , 04:38 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by darthcaedous View Post
lol also leia however short she was a jedi in training married han and never fell into it either lol. they break alot of rules in eu but i still love it lol.
Actually, there were no "rules" to break at that time, since the Jedi Order was still non-existent after the prequels. Also, as pointed out by a previous poster here, Obi-Wan and Yoda never told Luke about the "No marriage or nookie" rules, so that is in keeping with continuity.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

BrandonSM's Avatar


BrandonSM
04.07.2012 , 05:14 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Kilikaa View Post
Lots of Jedi have fallen in love, married and had children over the long history of the order. Revan and Bastila for example. Yoda and Obi-Wan came from a time when the Jedi held so tightly to their rules that they weren't flexible. After Order Sixty Six they realized that this was one of the problems with the old Order. Luke was not so strict and allowed his Jedi to have relationships. It has proved successful so far.

By the way, Ki-Adi Mundi was also married and did not fall to the darkside. Also, Luke was not the Grand Master when he married Mara. He did not take that title until well after the Yuzhaan ving war, around...35 ABY I think. give or take a couple years. I'll have to go look that up now lol.

These are not good examples.

1st: The Jedi Council already resented Revan and when the Republic put him on their council they resented even more. Because he broke allot of Jedi rules.

2nd: Ki-Adi Mundi was in love because his race was endangered. So the Jedi allowed that.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."