Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Stealing aggro from tank = leet dps?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Stealing aggro from tank = leet dps?

ShadowAxx
04.24.2012 , 09:54 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by JLapp View Post
That is because it is only a 25% threat drop and you need 30% more threat to pull. So by the time you pull it is too late for the ability to be useful.
So, what's the proper use of the threat reduction? It should be used as often as if comes off of cooldown?

Ricktur
04.26.2012 , 08:25 PM | #22
i think what the OP was hoping for, was that we'd all get on here and say, "yeah man, if you are pulling aggro off of the tank then your dps must be through the roof!!! man you are so awesome!! can i see your build?! whats your rotation?! I want to be like you!!!"

this is a pathetic attempt at, please worship me.
Sgt. Boos Macarrage - Republic Trooper/Vanguard - PVE Tank Spec
Prophecy of the Five - US East PVP
Republic Commandos: First Ones In, Last Ones Out. Never Quit. Never Fail.

KorinHyvek
04.26.2012 , 08:33 PM | #23
Just to be clear, if you look at the data for what pure threat dumps (Chaff Burst, Surrender, etc) actually do...

ModifyThreat: AmountPercent=>-0.25

Compare to Intercede (A Juggernaught ability which leaps to an allied target and drops their threat)...

ModifyThreat: AmountPercent=>-25

Notice the distinct lack of a decimal place in the second ability? At least at one point, Threat Dumps didn't actually work. It's quite possible BW has fixed them and Torhead hasn't update since then, but if they haven't, you shouldn't waste a spot on your quickbar for a measly .25% reduction in threat.

Yazule
04.27.2012 , 09:52 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Qonor View Post
Is it OK to use this as a measure that my damage is pretty good? I'm trying to find some meaningful ways of gauging my personal damage since I've played tanks and healers in prior MMOs, so it's pretty cool to try something new. Thanks.
Get the Mox dps/healing meter... real time understanding of your dps. If your dps>1200 you are doing good, rauders get up to 1400 sometimes, anything below 1000 on any given boss fight is rather bad unless you have to move/run/avoid damage a lot.
Remember this: Noobs have the most fun, they gain joy from things you disdain. They find value in that you find worthless. At the end of the day they have more fun per hour than any elitist I have ever known.

Elyx
04.29.2012 , 06:22 PM | #25
1.2 is out. you can dump your logs and stare and compare. There's currently a thread started for people to post their results.

As to your question about whether or not you can use it as a baseline? No. I wouldn't. as you've noticed above, there's far too many variables in play to take into account whether or not pulling is an indication of your dps potention, or the tanks bad rotation. or bad choice in targets on your side...or missing the wrong button (I've hit my taunt by accident at times when im DPS;ing on my jugg...habit.)

Unlike the ez-mode some MMO's have become, this game requires DPS to manage their threat. so it's a balancing act. teh fact that you are pulling aggro should incite you to analyze your own performance, and determine why. Are you hitting the same mob the tank is? are you bursting out the door and getting aggro in the first 5 seconds? then give the tank a few more seconds to grab aggro. is it happening at regular intervals? perhaps your not using your de-aggro ability as you should.

Unfortunately, EZ mode games have given threat a bad rep. In this game, it's a battle mechanic that you have to pay attention to. BOTH the tank and the DPS have to

.and some aspects of threat don't matter. as a tank, I could care less if my buddy mauarader or sorc pull a silver off of me as im tanking the champs and elites. If they can't handle a silver then there's a serious L2P issue there. But even then, I enjoy pulling it back with a well placed taunt, and watching them beat on it while it walks back. a well placed backhand and i got firm aggro on the mob.

But a good DPS will know when to back off. I know some peeps don't think a DPS "should" have to do that....but that's a relatively new MMO idea that has only surfaced with certain other games. It's certainly not an industry standard, nor should it be. And SWtOR has a pretty decent balance IMO. if DPS and tank are doing their jobs, threats never an issue. if one of them isn't doing their job, threat can be a small issue. If both aren't doing their job, the threat game sucks.
"I just hit 50 and finished my class storyline, but I still haven't been able to decide which AC to choose. Leveling solo as a warrior wasn't difficult, so I kept putting off the decision.
Anyone else having the same problem? "~ lagerhat - And who says warriors are broke?

vojinsa
04.29.2012 , 11:28 PM | #26
Quote:
Are you hitting the same mob the tank is? are you bursting out the door and getting aggro in the first 5 seconds? then give the tank a few more seconds to grab aggro. is it happening at regular intervals? perhaps your not using your de-aggro ability as you should.
Most dps stare at their cds and lack the mental capacity to stand out of fire or even have their threat dump on their bar. with target of target and marks they still manage to hit the wrong target.
Quote:
Imperial Agent-If I brought you flowers, what would you do?
Kaliyo- Go look for a man?
I love Kaliyo.

Elyx
04.30.2012 , 08:23 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by vojinsa View Post
Most dps stare at their cds and lack the mental capacity to stand out of fire or even have their threat dump on their bar. with target of target and marks they still manage to hit the wrong target.
I wont argue that man

Still...I don't think that MMO's should always cater to the lowest common denominator, and the threat in this game is evidence of that. on the flip side, SWtOR has some scaling with mobs group that allows for certain mobs to be pulled and the DPS survive. Which means that the group of 6 mobs you are staring at hoping the DPS give you a chance to mark first are in reality only 2-3 that you really have to worry about.
"I just hit 50 and finished my class storyline, but I still haven't been able to decide which AC to choose. Leveling solo as a warrior wasn't difficult, so I kept putting off the decision.
Anyone else having the same problem? "~ lagerhat - And who says warriors are broke?

Lugh
05.02.2012 , 10:13 PM | #28
You have an agro reduction mechanic..if you are stealing agro from a Tank in PvE you BOTH stink..
Only two things are infinite The Universe and Human stupidity and I am not so sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
Aka --Alia Ajunta Pall

Qonor
05.04.2012 , 10:12 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
You have an agro reduction mechanic..if you are stealing agro from a Tank in PvE you BOTH stink..
What aggro reduction mechanic do Madness Assassins have, aside from the one on a 3-minute cooldown?
Marqus Deception Assassin
Resurgent Empire Guild
Jedi Covenant PvE East Server

SpoeMeister
05.05.2012 , 07:43 PM | #30
DPS should never have more threat than the tank on a single target. That's just bad tanking (which I have seen a lot)...

The only time a dps can outthreat me is when there are multiple targets and everyone is just attacking whoever they want.

Why: Because of the taunt mechanics... A tank can just spam that single target taunt and double his aggro...
Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not yet the end.

Spivak Legacy (ToFN)
SpoeMeister Orrusos Do'chan Nadobo