Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Stealing aggro from tank = leet dps?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Stealing aggro from tank = leet dps?

Fall_Star
04.08.2012 , 03:44 PM | #11
It means the DPS is NOT properly doing their role most of the time. If you die, it is your fault. If tank dies, it is the healer's fault. If healer dies, it is the tank's fault.

You should utilize YOUR threat dumps (i.e. Surrender for Smugglers) to assist the tank.

In no way should it be an excuse to tell the tank to do a better job or that you have "epix" damage dealing abilities.

On a side note: If you are forced to lower the DPS b/c of this re-occurring problem even AFTER utilizing your threat dumps, and the boss is enraging, then it is indeed the tank's fault.

Doubledeath
04.10.2012 , 02:41 PM | #12
Like tho other people have said no one should be able to pull aggro off a tank if they are doing their job and know how to play. Also we have no idea how threat in this game actually works mostly it seems to me some abilities have higher threat building than other and have no relation to the damage that you do. You can see this in cases were u have a guardian, shadow, or vanguard dps. They will most likely be the 2nd person on the threat list and has nothing to do with them doing more damage or being in a tank stance or form or what ever. After running the same HM's and ops with me the tank and the same healer and same 1 dps u can easily see how good or bad dps is across other classes that you bring along as the 4rth player. So I know that guardian, vanguard, and shadows do not do the dps that a sage, commando, or sentinel can do but they pull way more threat and don't really have threat dropping abilities. So in the case that we have no idea how the threat mechanics actually work I would not base your damage from your class on how much threat you draw. Testing this theory of other abilities pulling more threat and doing less damage than other is repetable on my sage. The consular abilities tend to draw more threat than the sage abilities. And true for my sentinel where knight abilities draw more threat than sentinel abilities and backwards for my tank. My guardian abilities draw more threat than my knight abilities. Not sure if any of this is true or repeatable by other as it is only my general experience and like I said we have no hard data to compare and type of threat corralation with total damage or what ever. Hope this helps.

Arunas
04.12.2012 , 06:33 AM | #13
Yesterday I DPSed for the first time in DPS columni/BM gear as pyrotech powertech (used iron first/tank build up until now for pve). We were doing Karraga and if I got too many railshot proc in a row I would steal the threat from boss, which is practically a wipe for this boss. Since powertechs have no threat reduction skills the only thing I could do was to slow down, but then we were hitting enrage timers. Hopefully it will be easier in 1.2 with more consistent damage and combat logs to show what is going on, but anyway I am puzzled how I could have dealt with this situation.

Valhalyn
04.12.2012 , 06:38 AM | #14
If you are grabbing aggro I'm willing to call your tank a failure. Most WoW Crossover tanks have this idea that guard should be used on the healer because its the most effective place to put it.

In reality healing threat in this game is rather low. So if you steal aggro once on a single target trash mob, your Tank should adapt and put Guard on you, as its clear that you're an aggro whore and will need the protection.

kuey
04.13.2012 , 10:20 AM | #15
Only played Guardian tank so far so can only speak for them and I really don't see how we can lose threat on Boss fights. Guardian leap + guardian strike + taunts... You lose threat you're doing something VERY wrong.

JLapp
04.13.2012 , 02:09 PM | #16
If you are pulling aggro early in a fight...that is the fault of the DPS. Tanks only generate threat so fast and generally lack the burst of most DPS classes.

If you are pulling aggro past the first 20s or so, on a single target, without a threat drop, that is the fault of a tank.

Canis_Anubis
04.19.2012 , 05:13 PM | #17
Give the tank a buffer, and use your threat dump. The tank's job is to keep aggro off the healer, not off you.

clearsighted
04.21.2012 , 12:06 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Qonor View Post
Interesting. So generally speaking, a tank should never lose aggro on a tank and spank single-target encounter? Even if the dps class pumps out a lot of damage?
Provided that the boss doesn't have a threat dump, and the tank has his Guard on you, then they should never lose threat.

Nor does it matter in the first 15 seconds of a fight. So what if you can drop a huge opening burst at the start as the tank ramps up?

ShadowAxx
04.24.2012 , 06:03 AM | #19
I think we need to know which specific bosses are being compared.

Some bosses switch their focus in a random manor regardless of threat. The 1st big boss on KP is like this.

Some bosses will switch after a dump and jump to highest DPS. This happens with the Bonus Droid in Black Talon, the one triggered by the 4/4 consoles.

In the case of KP 1st boss, you just need to keep rolling and heal thru the damage. In the case of BT HM, you can also heal thru the switch as the tank will reacquire aggro, but it can be a little tougher on the healer. If the healer can't keep up, you need to get out of LOS and let the tank get aggro back.

Honestly, my BH/Merc threat reduction has never seemed to work, or at least hasn't worked very quickly.

Having played with both well geared tanks and fresh 50 (green) tanks, I'd prefer to roll with the stronger tank. Although it's not all about stats, a fresh 50 who knows what they are doing can do a better job, especially when interrupts are key.

JLapp
04.24.2012 , 08:50 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by ShadowAxx View Post
Honestly, my BH/Merc threat reduction has never seemed to work, or at least hasn't worked very quickly.
That is because it is only a 25% threat drop and you need 30% more threat to pull. So by the time you pull it is too late for the ability to be useful.