Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Currently OP class that most often thinks they're skilled?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Currently OP class that most often thinks they're skilled?

clearsighted
04.07.2012 , 01:49 PM | #1
It seems to me, that there are a few classes which seem to make a player think they're great or amazing, but which in reality are simply overpowered in that one area. They put down to skill what essentially has more to do with mechanics.

I've broken it up into categories.

1) Healer Most Likely To Brag: I don't know why, but hands down, the mercenary/combat medic wins this one about evenly. It's a large part of why they're being nerfed. A moderately skilled player can effectively never die, and keep their group from never dying with endless heat. It's not going to be that way any longer, so expect a great deal of gnashing and agonizing about how to deal with an energy mechanic.

2) PvP: This one is close, and almost went to tankassins. But I think concealment operatives still have this. The burst on this class is insane, and anyone who has fought them in a warzone has experienced it. It's true they are far from an overwhelming majority. The difference is, you don't see many lightning tards or tracer missile spammers claiming they're elite. I've seen a lot of ops with the apparent belief they are amazing pvpers in spite of playing a horribly broken/nerfed and mistreated class. Well. Newsflash: PvP isn't terribly hard when all your fights start from behind/hiding, and you can escape if it goes south. You have to be a hideously bad player to lose after that kind of advantage, but it's not uncommon for an op to eke it out, and assume they have amazing skills.

3) Overall: In the realm of PvE and PvP, I'd have to say Powertech is the class most likely to have a player with an exalted sense of their abilities. Whether it is tanking on easy mode, or speccing pyro for insane DPS, or dropping death from above every minute...This is the class most likely to let their inflated numbers go to their head. They're receiving an extremely tiny and modest adjustment that won't really affect their damage at all. This is also known as the class everyone wishes they rolled after learning what they're capable of.

Strangely enough, I do mean 'powertech', and not vanguard. Vanguard players on the pub side are mostly just playing as Commander Shepherd and don't seem to come with the ego.

hadoken
04.07.2012 , 02:12 PM | #2
Trying to figure out the point of this thread.

clearsighted
04.07.2012 , 02:34 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by hadoken View Post
Trying to figure out the point of this thread.
What's the point of anything?

Threads like this one in the PT forum make it easy, though: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=381482

Along with the incessant ************ about the patch found in the forums of some of the mentioned classes above.

Zilrota
04.07.2012 , 05:48 PM | #4
Hello everyone,

We are closing this thread. While we understand that players can be frustrated with the community at times, please understand that threads like this (even when made with good intentions) tend to result in flame wars and have little room for constructive discussion. In the future, we encourage you to create threads that foster constructive discussion and not ones which criticize the community.

We appreciate your understanding that we've closed this thread!