Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Female's being called sir..??

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Female's being called sir..??

Captain_Zone's Avatar


Captain_Zone
04.08.2012 , 07:46 PM | #81
Look, I've already explained the Star Wars lore about "Lord", "Sir", and "Master" when it comes to terms of respect. Look back 2 or 3 pages and you'll find it. I'm not going to explain it again. Geez, some people are just blind! Read the books! Play the games! It's STAR WARS LORE! Forms of RESPECT for all genders, with only one exception in the Sith Empire. Ingame, anyway. I'm sure there are more out there, but Lady Grathan was the only example I could think of. So yeah. Go back a couple pages and you'll see it.

EDIT: If you have your forum format set for 10 posts per page, it's at the top of Page 6.
. OPOD
The New Jedi Code: "Keep Calm & Carry a Lightsaber"

Lemina_Ausa's Avatar


Lemina_Ausa
04.08.2012 , 08:23 PM | #82
Quote: Originally Posted by Jandi View Post
ARRGGHHHH! People refer to you as she and her ALL the time. It has nothing to do with costs. IT'S JUST THE STAR WARS LORE. You know, the lore that was established DECADES ago.

Why can't people get this? WHY?!
No need to get so worked up, geeze. I swear, fans of any series on forums just seem to wait on forums for people to jump on and scream at them.

Temeluchus's Avatar


Temeluchus
04.08.2012 , 08:58 PM | #83
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
Look, I've already explained the Star Wars lore about "Lord", "Sir", and "Master" when it comes to terms of respect. Look back 2 or 3 pages and you'll find it. I'm not going to explain it again. Geez, some people are just blind! Read the books! Play the games! It's STAR WARS LORE! Forms of RESPECT for all genders, with only one exception in the Sith Empire. Ingame, anyway. I'm sure there are more out there, but Lady Grathan was the only example I could think of. So yeah. Go back a couple pages and you'll see it.

EDIT: If you have your forum format set for 10 posts per page, it's at the top of Page 6.
This.^^^ Zone and others have already explained the in-game reasons for it, heck I even posted the actual Codex entry from the game a few pages back, but people gloss over it.

All the movies,games and books use Sir and Lord as gender neutral honorfics in the military setting/Sith order, the only exception that I know of is Lumiya, being the Dark Lady of the Sith and that was self proclaimed.
"Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night.

Sinemetu's Avatar


Sinemetu
04.08.2012 , 09:08 PM | #84
Quote: Originally Posted by Jandi View Post
ARRGGHHHH! People refer to you as she and her ALL the time. !
Not really at all, actually. I actually had my female agent referred to as "he" in the story summary loading screen. When it comes to voice acting, PC gender is largely avoided. "Lord," "sir," "Jedi," "Sith," "smuggler," "agent," etc.
Legion: Geth do not infiltrate.
C-Sec Customs: You should leave your personal synthetic assistant at home. They're not allowed on shuttles anymore.
Legion: Geth do not intentionally infiltrate.

DarkmanSigma's Avatar


DarkmanSigma
04.08.2012 , 09:17 PM | #85
It's actually pretty simple.

The rank structures used in SW are based of European military.
Some of the UK soldiers I served with in Iraq called their female officers Sir as well.

That's where it comes from.

Jandi's Avatar


Jandi
04.08.2012 , 09:22 PM | #86
Quote: Originally Posted by Lemina_Ausa View Post
No need to get so worked up, geeze. I swear, fans of any series on forums just seem to wait on forums for people to jump on and scream at them.
It's because people like YOU can't be bothered to read a single post besides the OP and thus repeat the same crap over and over and over and over again.

Jandi's Avatar


Jandi
04.08.2012 , 09:25 PM | #87
Quote: Originally Posted by Sinemetu View Post
Not really at all, actually. I actually had my female agent referred to as "he" in the story summary loading screen. When it comes to voice acting, PC gender is largely avoided. "Lord," "sir," "Jedi," "Sith," "smuggler," "agent," etc.
The story summary screens are bugged as hell. A completely worthless point. Most NPC's address you directly, so of course it's not that common but when people talk to other NPC's, it's almost always "she did x,y and z" or "Her heroics allowed us to x,y and z". You not paying attention doesn't change facts.

Lemina_Ausa's Avatar


Lemina_Ausa
04.08.2012 , 09:32 PM | #88
Quote: Originally Posted by Jandi View Post
It's because people like YOU can't be bothered to read a single post besides the OP and thus repeat the same crap over and over and over and over again.
And that's just too bad now, isn't it?

At any rate, no point arguing over it anymore, I've grown numb to it already after sending rusk out on countless missions.

Jandi's Avatar


Jandi
04.08.2012 , 09:48 PM | #89
Quote: Originally Posted by Lemina_Ausa View Post
And that's just too bad now, isn't it?
No, not really but don't get offended when people get agitated by others repeating the same thing 10 times just because they can't be bothered to read anything, a thing that has been explained as many times.

I wonder how many times you answer the same inane question before you say "ENOUGH!". Most people snap at 3 or 4.

Sinemetu's Avatar


Sinemetu
04.08.2012 , 10:02 PM | #90
Quote: Originally Posted by Jandi View Post
The story summary screens are bugged as hell. A completely worthless point. Most NPC's address you directly, so of course it's not that common but when people talk to other NPC's, it's almost always "she did x,y and z" or "Her heroics allowed us to x,y and z". You not paying attention doesn't change facts.
I won't rule out the possibility of exceptions, especially since I haven't seen every line of dialogue in the game, but in the vast majority of cases the PC is referred to by title. In your example, "This Jedi's heroics allowed us to do x, y, and z." I'll pay attention to facts when I see one, but so far this is just your memory vs mine and I don't know you from Elvis.

I'm not talking about being acknowledged as a different gender via flirt options (rare for females in any case) or the occasional NPC such as the one on Quesh.
Legion: Geth do not infiltrate.
C-Sec Customs: You should leave your personal synthetic assistant at home. They're not allowed on shuttles anymore.
Legion: Geth do not intentionally infiltrate.