Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Female's being called sir..??

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Female's being called sir..??

Achromatis
04.07.2012 , 01:18 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Braaaiins View Post
I've been called sir on more toons than just this tooper.
I imagine any Jedi or Sith could be called Sir, seeing as they usually both have a sort of military rank.

Edit: What do you call a superior female officer in the army then, "Mam"? I figured it would just be Sir, though obviously Im not military.
Not Meant to Be a Factual Statement

The plural of anecdote is not data

Braaaiins
04.07.2012 , 01:21 AM | #12
not the best quote but its from yahoo answers

Quote:
Actually, sir is used for women in certain military branches, as well as other professions. As for myself, I'd rather be called miss, ma'am makes me feel old.

Blavatsky
04.07.2012 , 01:21 AM | #13
one of many mistakes that the user is QAing in my opinion .

Thanks for bringing it to the attention of the devs , maybe they will fix this error maybe they wont

HeavensAgent
04.07.2012 , 01:23 AM | #14
"Sir" is the appropriate term for both men and women in this setting. Female Sith are also referred to as "Lord", again per setting lore.

Sonsea
04.07.2012 , 01:23 AM | #15
Its even in current TV shows. I thought it odd at first, then I realized they were doing it on purpose.

TV show Castle, Beckett call her female captain Sir all the time...

ConradLionhart
04.07.2012 , 01:23 AM | #16
not the best quote but its from yahoo answers
Strange thing is some feminists are angry that there is miss and mrs for women, but only mr for men.
Level 50 Jedi Guardian

Expanded Companion System
http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...6&postcount=28

WereMops
04.07.2012 , 01:26 AM | #17
My character is female and she's being called sir A LOT... its very annoying.
I've always thought/concluded that it is because of the fact that alot of the female military didn't/doesn't want to be treated any different than their male counterparts, to them mam didn't really show the force/respect that sir did and thought of sir more of a short for Superior instead of a gender specific label.
No matter how right you think you are, consider that you might be wrong.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Some people just shouldn't have the right to announce it.

Antares_Navaar
04.07.2012 , 01:29 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by TheLonelyTusken View Post
No they are not.
Star Wars =/= RL
Neither dark nor light, but both all the same.
Neither hero nor villain, but both all the same.
Neither balanced nor chaotic, but both all the same.
Neither alive nor dead, but both all the same.

Lightmaguz
04.07.2012 , 01:47 AM | #19
The amount of unimportant(and in this case completely off) complaints is astounding considering the issues this game is facing right now...

Gazzaho
04.07.2012 , 02:12 AM | #20
Jeez, I don't know, there's just no pleasing women. Better to just call them "female officer of higher rank" I doubt you can go wrong with that one, or can you.

Miss doesn't work in a military context in my opinion, it implies softness or weakness, Madam however implies power, but I doubt many women would choose that term, besides I would have thought Sir would have pleased female military women as it doesn't differientate between sexes and implies equality rather than inequality.

Perhaps it would be better if females were just addressed by their rank, Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain, Admiral or whatever.

By the way the "no pleasing women" comment was totally tounge in cheek, no offence was intended or implied, if a woman can do the job as well as a man then they should be allowed to do so. They can stand when no seats are available and they can open their own doors too LOL.