Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Are the Sith more powerful than the Jedi?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Are the Sith more powerful than the Jedi?

celebrei
04.06.2012 , 11:40 PM | #1
It seems to me that based on raw power the Sith are stronger, but if it is a matter of focus and understanding the Jedi are more powerful, time and again we have seen extremely powerful Sith in the likes of Exar Kun and Sidious whose hubris got the better of them and were defeated, but the Jedi, despite being seemingly weaker in raw power compared to the greatest of the Sith Lords were able to unite and defeat them, I have always viewed the Sith as a tidal wave, fast and aggressive but dissipates quickly while the Jedi I see as a flowing river, calm and serene but flows continuously, any thoughts?

DeutschGamer
04.07.2012 , 01:45 AM | #2
They balance each other out, its why there will always be Jedi and Sith. When Jedi dominate, the Sith will find a way to return and vise versa. If one side was actually more powerful in a general term, the balance would be lost.

Rayla_Felana
04.07.2012 , 02:47 AM | #3
The Sith gain power quicker than Jedi do, but once Jedi come into their own, it becomes clear that Sith fall to the wayside.

Darth_Solrac
04.07.2012 , 03:04 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
The Sith gain power quicker than Jedi do, but once Jedi come into their own, it becomes clear that Sith fall to the wayside.
Poppycock. Yoda was far beyond into his own, Sidious bested him, sorry but yea. Malgus bested Satele (one is just NOT scared to face someone they beat before, just doesn't happen or make sense). Maul (an APPRENTICE) bested Jedi Master Qui Gon Jinn.

Now there are counter instances you can point to sure. You favor the Light Side/Jedi from what I gather. I favor the Dark Side/Sith. So being the fans that we are, we can rehash this debate.

What I think it is, why this is becoming the default SW logic is cuz at the very least, the Sith SEEM more powerful, especially in terms of raw power. Anger & passion are great conductors of this. The Dark Side is obviously more geared towards offense. Hence the plethora of DS techniques such as Force Lightning, Shock, Storm, etc. Force Choke, I can go on. The Light Side just isn't, that I've ever seen. All a LS Jedi can do to counter a Sith in a force contest is project, but surprise, Sith can do that too. In terms of lightsaber combat, anyone's guess. Force combat? Sorry, but I gotta give it to the Sith.

A Jedi Master is supposed to be a Sith Lord's equal, mirror. The Jedi Grand Master is supposed to be the Dark Lord's equal, no? Well take from the movies, books, etc. & judge away kids.
Nobody expects the Sith Inquisition!
Guild: Imperial Army.
Darth (Markos) Solrac: LV 50, Dark Sith Sorcerer.
Draykos Solrac: LV 29, Dark grey Jedi Guardian.

Rayla_Felana
04.07.2012 , 03:13 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Solrac View Post
Poppycock. Yoda was far beyond into his own, Sidious bested him, sorry but yea. Malgus bested Satele (one is just NOT scared to face someone they beat before, just doesn't happen or make sense). Maul (an APPRENTICE) bested Jedi Master Qui Gon Jinn.

Now there are counter instances you can point to sure. You favor the Light Side/Jedi from what I gather. I favor the Dark Side/Sith. So being the fans that we are, we can rehash this debate.

What I think it is, why this is becoming the default SW logic is cuz at the very least, the Sith SEEM more powerful, especially in terms of raw power. Anger & passion are great conductors of this. The Dark Side is obviously more geared towards offense. Hence the plethora of DS techniques such as Force Lightning, Shock, Storm, etc. Force Choke, I can go on. The Light Side just isn't, that I've ever seen. All a LS Jedi can do to counter a Sith in a force contest is project, but surprise, Sith can do that too. In terms of lightsaber combat, anyone's guess. Force combat? Sorry, but I gotta give it to the Sith.

A Jedi Master is supposed to be a Sith Lord's equal, mirror. The Jedi Grand Master is supposed to be the Dark Lord's equal, no? Well take from the movies, books, etc. & judge away kids.
Nomi, Surik, Satele, the Jedi Knight, Fay, Yoda then Luke, and others I am sure all made the Dark Siders look pathetic and weak, why did they do this? because they followed the Light Side to it's fullest extent and did not waver and become Sith.

This is simply the way of the force.

The pattern repeats itself throughout the EU far more than people realise.

That and the fact Lucas has stated it himself.

Oh and don't presume to know I am a Light Side/Jedi fan, I have favoured neither, Exar Kun is one of my all time favourites next to my DS Kallig character.

I just don't let opinion into my argument.

Osetto
04.07.2012 , 08:33 AM | #6
Neither side is inherently more powerful, it comes down to individual skill and mastery of the Force. A powerful Jedi will be defeated by a powerful Sith who will be defeated by a powerful Jedi, and the cycle continues (with the occasional Sith on Sith betrayal). It just often comes down in the end that a light-sider or Jedi will possess the greater power/mastery/clarity needed to defeat their opponent, and a dark-sider or Sith will often let the corrupting influence of the dark side warp their being/fill them with overconfidence/cloud their own judgement to the point that they are inevitably stuck down, leading to long-term apparent Jedi superiority.

I like to think that the dark-side is much more suited for instigation and change, whilst the light-side is suited for preservation and balance. The light builds, the darkness consumes. The darkness encroaches on the light, but in time the light will push back and drive the darkness away, but never does one completely dominate the other.

A Sith feeds on the darkness, but the darkness feeds on the Sith, eventually corrupting or damaging the user's body, mind, or spirit. A Jedi follows the light, and the light guides the Jedi, where one masters the Force whilst mastering the self.
-------------------- The Fan Fiction Index --------------------

Darth_Solrac
04.07.2012 , 08:55 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
Nomi, Surik, Satele, the Jedi Knight, Fay, Yoda then Luke, and others I am sure all made the Dark Siders look pathetic and weak, why did they do this? because they followed the Light Side to it's fullest extent and did not waver and become Sith.

This is simply the way of the force.

The pattern repeats itself throughout the EU far more than people realise.

That and the fact Lucas has stated it himself.

Oh and don't presume to know I am a Light Side/Jedi fan, I have favoured neither, Exar Kun is one of my all time favourites next to my DS Kallig character.

I just don't let opinion into my argument.
Sorry, but you kinda sound like a Jedi fanboy, or girl, just saying. Darth Tyrannus beat a Jedi Master (Kenobi) & a Jedi Knight (Anakin) at the same time, & even beat Kenobi again aboard The Invisible Hand.

Sidious slew FIVE of the Jedi Order's best Masters/council members in mere seconds, then proceeded to (ultimately) defeat Windu.

I can still go on. I couldn't care less that Lucas saved to societal pressure & said the 'good guys' are supposed to win. Every creator does that blah blah b;ah. Not really opinion here either. So Ima stand by what I said.
Nobody expects the Sith Inquisition!
Guild: Imperial Army.
Darth (Markos) Solrac: LV 50, Dark Sith Sorcerer.
Draykos Solrac: LV 29, Dark grey Jedi Guardian.

Jandi
04.07.2012 , 09:09 AM | #8
Arguing over imagined power-levels of fictional characters in a make-believe universe with magical powers. Let that sentence sink in for a moment.
Those that demand respect deserve only pity.

Captain_Zone
04.07.2012 , 09:09 AM | #9
In answer to your question, allow me to quote... well.... me.

Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
A Jedi Knight, a Sith Warrior, a Smuggler, and a Bounty Hunter were all marooned on a deserted planet together. In order to survive, they put aside their differences until one night around a fire, they started with the blustering. The Bounty Hunter said "I'm sick of you pansies! I've taken down Jedi Masters and Sith Lords! I don't care anymore!"

The Smuggler says "Oh yeah? So what? I've shot down Bounty Hunters with only one round!"

The Sith Lord chimes in with "You're both no match for the power of the Dark Side!" and proceeds to choke out both Smuggler and Bounty Hunter.

The Jedi looks up, shakes his head, and continues stirring the fire with his wang.
So the answer is No.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

ToEasy
04.07.2012 , 09:11 AM | #10
I don't believe either one is more powerful.
"Jedi do not fight for peace. That's only a slogan, and is as misleading as slogans always are. Jedi fight for civilization, because only civilization creates peace. We fight for justice because justice is the fundamental bedrock of civilization: an unjust civilization is built upon sand. It does not long survive a storm." - Mace Windu